Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm a Western Australian looking to apply for a DPhil scholarship to Oxford (and Cambridge) for the 2019/2020 cycle, and I'm wondering which colleges have the best postgrad accomodation?

Considering the difference between Australian uni life and English uni life, I'd like to get into collegiate life since I'll still be very young when / if I get to go. Plus I love the romantic beauty of the older colleges, which brings me to asking which colleges offer the best experience considering those factors? The website / the net is not too great at showing Postgrad options.

(Preferred colleges so far include Magdalen, Christ Church, Balliol etc prior to asking)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Merton has a lot of postgraduate accommodation, relatively speaking. On the Holywell site.

I don't really know much about other specific colleges but in general there is much less provision than for undergrads, and i think some have no provision at all. I would contact colleges directly if in doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Merton has a lot of postgraduate accommodation, relatively speaking. On the Holywell site.

I don't really know much about other specific colleges but in general there is much less provision than for undergrads, and i think some have no provision at all. I would contact colleges directly if in doubt.
    Is there "old-style" accommodation within town? Something with the vibe of the older colleges? Having lived in Australia where everything is very young, if one leaves I wan't to be able to get the most out of the experience!

Thanks so much for the help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ladyread)
    Is there "old-style" accommodation within town? Something with the vibe of the older colleges? Having lived in Australia where everything is very young, if one leaves I wan't to be able to get the most out of the experience!

The very old rooms tend to be reserved for the undergrads, in a kind of reverse hierarchy*! There may be exceptions but i am not aware of them.

That doesn't mean you can't have access to the other old bits of college though. For example, at Merton the MCR (common room for grads) is the oldest bit of college. The dining hall is ancient, with the doorway an original 1264 feature, and as a grad you get access to High Table with the tutors, which has better food and a commanding view over the lowly undergrads! In some other colleges the undergrads have to stand when you enter and stay standing until you sit, and the inverse when you leave!

I think you might have to give up on the idea of living in the old bits though.

*The actual reason is that undergrads leave Oxford out of term time, freeing up the old rooms for conference guests, who pay up to £200 per night to stay there - a key source of college income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The very old rooms tend to be reserved for the undergrads, in a kind of reverse hierarchy*! There may be exceptions but i am not aware of them.

That doesn't mean you can't have access to the other old bits of college though. For example, at Merton the MCR (common room for grads) is the oldest bit of college. The dining hall is ancient, with the doorway an original 1264 feature, and as a grad you get access to High Table with the tutors, which has better food and a commanding view over the lowly undergrads! In some other colleges the undergrads have to stand when you enter and stay standing until you sit, and the inverse when you leave!

I think you might have to give up on the idea of living in the old bits though.

*The actual reason is that undergrads leave Oxford out of term time, freeing up the old rooms for conference guests, who pay up to £200 per night to stay there - a key source of college income.
    Thats so typical, in Australia if you're an undergrad you're trash, if you're postgrad...slightly less trash? Generalised trash though oh well! I guess there's Holywell Ford House, but in general one can rent somewhere else *shrug*. Do love the idea of lurking around the High Table!

ReputationRep:

As nexttime observes, there is not much quaint olde worlde accommodation on the main college sites for graduate students. But a few of the older colleges do have some graduate rooms, in modern(ish) blocks, on the main college site - St John's is one example - and quite a few more have houses very close to the main college site - the St Aldates Quad at Ch Ch for instance; Jesus has houses in Ship Street; Worcester has a couple of properties very close by. No doubt there are others.

A room this close to college would mean you'd still be in the centre of town and easily able to pop into college every day for dinner, brunch and general hanging out. But you would have to speak directly to the respective colleges to get an idea of your chances of being allocated these specific rooms rather than a more distant annexe.

Romance isn't everything. I once had an olde room on the main site of a central college, and it was crummy - a single north-facing window onto a gloomy back road and showers downstairs in a dank, windowless, basement. Give me a sunny concrete and glass block with an ensuite anyday!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm a Western Australian looking to apply for a DPhil scholarship to Oxford (and Cambridge) for the 2019/2020 cycle, and I'm wondering which colleges have the best postgrad accommodation?

Considering the difference between Australian uni life and English uni life, I'd like to get into collegiate life since I'll still be very young when / if I get to go. Plus I love the romantic beauty of the older colleges, which brings me to asking which colleges offer the best experience considering those factors? The website / the net is not too great at showing Postgrad options.

(Preferred colleges so far include Magdalen, Christ Church, Balliol etc prior to asking)
    You could check out this website to customise your search for your ideal Oxford accommodation: Home > Admissions > Graduate > Colleges> College accommodation

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...odation?wssl=1

You can filter by accommodation type (e.g. standard or en-suite) and filter by location (main college site or off-site). At first glance, I guess Merton College has quite a lot of rooms for graduate students.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, has anybody received offers from Colleges?

ReputationRep:
    thats brilliant, thank you!

(Original post by SimonBaker)
    You could check out this website to customise your search for your ideal Oxford accommodation: Home > Admissions > Graduate > Colleges> College accommodation

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/grad...odation?wssl=1

You can filter by accommodation type (e.g. standard or en-suite) and filter by location (main college site or off-site). At first glance, I guess Merton College has quite a lot of rooms for graduate students.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.