Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey
    I plan on applying to Groningen University at the Faculty of law, but I have a hard time finding a place to stay .... I don't know in which area of the town I can find relatively cheap accommodation but also be able to study without any roomates that throw parties 24/7 )))) soooo anyone that can help me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by andra_0109)
    hey
    I plan on applying to Groningen University at the Faculty of law, but I have a hard time finding a place to stay .... I don't know in which area of the town I can find relatively cheap accommodation but also be able to study without any roomates that throw parties 24/7 )))) soooo anyone that can help me?
    Does the uni provide any accommodation support? This is a UK site so you may not get many responses but I'm moving this to the international study forum for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Does the uni provide any accommodation support? This is a UK site so you may not get many responses but I'm moving this to the international study forum for you.
    Thanks and yes it does but I want to have alternatives, you know?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by andra_0109)
    Thanks and yes it does but I want to have alternatives, you know?
    As in they may have advice about where to stay or a list of landlords that are good or to avoid etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    As in they may have advice about where to stay or a list of landlords that are good or to avoid etc.
    they don't have such a list that's why I hoped that maybe somebody from here can help

ReputationRep:
    Hey andra i realise your post is a bit old but it didn't seem to have been answered, so i will try to that in case you still need this info or for anybody in the future who stumbles by here

There's no official university dorms in Groningen. There is student housing available backed by the university however, but I would refer you here because i don't have any experience with them.

Housing is a bit annoying to find in Groningen because of so many students and relatively lack of rooms/houses. Best time to find a place in in Dec/January and May-July time. By mid August most rooms are taken and then it can really be trouble finding a room. I would recommend first to try facebook and search for "groningen rooms".
    Example: https://www.facebook.com/groups/121294141228020/

Thats not there only group, there are many more. You can join and see messages from students advertising their room for a new tenant before they leave. From the descriptions and pictures (and some facebook stalking :P) you can get a pretty good picture of what type of household it is (partying/non-party etc). Facebook searching will also be the cheapest option.
    If you're having trouble still finding a place (e.g. if it's now august and you you still haven't found anything) there are a few agencies that will still have rooms. Agencies are more expensive however (usually they will charge an agency fee of around €100 to possibly even the first months rent). Here's a list of some - but not all - agencies in Groningen. I'd keep this as a last ditch option. From personal experience, K&P are very professional and helpful. Kappenburg van Prooijen is okish. The guy who runs the place is great, the lady in charge of contact and admin stuff is a hassle to deal with.

Now onto which area to look for housing. Pretty much anything outside the old city limits is generally priced similarly. Within old city limits its a bit more expensive (but not by much) but what I don't like more is the noise because it's popular for open air events and concerts etc. If you do look into moving into the old city limits, then be weary of the Poelestraat. It's Groningen's night club/party district so expect a ton of night life (pro or con depending on what you like - judging by your post it's probably a con).

The area doesn't really have an impact on price, except how far away from the city centre it is. Because Groningen is not too big, every area is within 20 minutes cycling to the city centre so it's not really a problem either way.
    From experience, Helpman Oost/West/De Wijert area is relatively cheaper because it is a bit further away from the city centre (about 15-20mins cycling). It's also a nice area where mostly families live so its pretty quiet there. Next is the Korrewegwijk and UCMG hospital surrounding areas, which are also a popular place where students live. Very accessible as it is around 10 mins cycling to city centre. There are many other areas but i haven't lived there so i can't say much. Except for the centre/Poelestraat, all areas a generally quiet. It more depends on which household you move into. Evry area will have some household who like to party. Some students are into that, others not. Everytime you contact someone for a room, let them know you're more study focussed and not into partying. Their response will let you know what sort of household it is.

Loads more resources on Housing, and living in Groningen as beginner in general, can be found here.
    Here's a website created specifically for housing information in Groningen.

Hope this helps you or anybody else.
    Good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    Get a room with SSH.

There will be some social activities, but it's quite unlikely you will have "roomates that throw parties 24/7".

During the first year you can start to get your bearings with regard to the different areas of town, and you can also look for second year accommodation, either on your own or with some similarly inclined course mates.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.