Turn on thread page Beta

My question is, I want to leave work and work on my own eBay business and other business. That's what I enjoy. And it would give me more freedom (might be more work but more freedom).

However my apprenticeship is about to finish and if he offers me a lot of money I might think about staying.

I was thinking of going into the conversation with "I won't take anything under 17.5k". My question is do you think that's fair and what would you do in my situation?

ReputationRep:
    No university degree, 17 years old, expecting 17.5k for an entry level position and not taking anything less?

Let me know where you find that because it's a better secret than Roswell.

(Original post by esralled)
    No university degree, 17 years old, expecting 17.5k for an entry level position and not taking anything less?

Let me know where you that because it's a better secret that Roswell.
    My business makes 15k, and my previous job was also 15k. I'm in sales and i'm good at it, so yes 17.5k is very reasonable.

It's different for every person; without offence to your average apprentice; yes 17.5k probably would be too much.

It's not an entry level position too.

Not trying to create an argument it's just how it is with me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would take £17k for a entry level position after an apprenticeship at 17 with no sweat.

It's the experience that matters and with experience, you will go onto earning more.

However, by the sounds of it, you are making progeess with your business and it looks like it could go to places.

It's down to you, if you want to do the business thing then by all means do it.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends. Will you be able to get another similar job offer in the future? If so it's no great loss to work on your business for a year or two and go back later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    It really depends. Will you be able to get another similar job offer in the future? If so it's no great loss to work on your business for a year or two and go back later.
    Yeah, realistically I could get a similar job. I can also go back to a part time job which pays about £8 an hour - or do this alongside my business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esralled)

Let me know where you that because it's a better secret that Roswell.
    That's like 1450 a month. That is the wage of a London McDonald's employee or a shop assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelinahx)
    That's like 1450 a month. That is the wage of a London McDonald's employee or a shop assistant.
    Yeah it's not much, but with no outgoings it's not awful. I would have my business at the side of that too.

So I might do 8 hours at 8 an hour and then my business on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshyouare)
    Yeah it's not much, but with no outgoings it's not awful. I would have my business at the side of that too.

So I might do 8 hours at 8 an hour and then my business on the side.
    I know, I was merely responding to the responses implying you're being ridiculous for wanting a minimum living wage. Capitalism at its finest

Honestly, though, that's really reasonable, and there are a multitude of apprenticeships where you start off at £18k a year (at least in London, not sure about other cities). All you need are GCSE grades and 2 A-levels. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelinahx)
    I know, I was merely responding to the responses implying you're being ridiculous for wanting a minimum living wage. Capitalism at its finest

Honestly, though, that's really reasonable, and there are a multitude of apprenticeships where you start off at £18k a year (at least in London, not sure about other cities). All you need are GCSE grades and 2 A-levels. Go for it.
    Yeah, appreciate the reply - thanks

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on who you are. Your business, as much as it might be doing okay right now, is probably more risky than the post-apprenticeship job. But given you'll be able to get the same job in the future, you prefer working for yourself, and can do so alongside a part time job.. your own business seems the better option.

Would you learn any skills at this job? It could be that in a year there you would learn lots of skills which are worth far more (as in "investment" into yourself) than the "lost" income from not working on your own business, in which case perhaps taking the job for a while might be better.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My business makes 15k, and my previous job was also 15k. I'm in sales and i'm good at it, so yes 17.5k is very reasonable.

It's different for every person; without offence to your average apprentice; yes 17.5k probably would be too much.

It's not an entry level position too.

Not trying to create an argument it's just how it is with me.

Complete your apprenticeship and then work full time on your business and try and grow it.

If after a few years your business is not going anywhere then perhaps think about re-joining the rat race and working for other people again.

but if you've got a chance to expand your business i'd take imo....

ReputationRep:
    Gone from anonymous to Joshyouare ? xD

If you think there will be a market for your business, or you could find a new market and use the skills you say you have, then earning some money that is guaranteed, along with experience that will help you get a a job later on in life if you decide that's how you want to go is a good thing.

You got time on your side, I reckon. GL
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    without offence to your average apprentice; yes 17.5k probably would be too much.
    I'm an apprentice (currently 18 years old) and get 17.8k at the moment, my salary goes up every year, and in my third year I'm contracted to earn 28k with a 2k lump sum bonus. It just depends on what type of apprenticeship you do - if it was an apprenticeship in business admin then I would say 17k is a bit much but for a software engineering role, it seems somewhat reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    What is the apprenticeship in?

ReputationRep:
    This hasn't been said yet, however I think the best path for you now is doing both - It's manageable if you work hard. I'm in the network marketing game, and one year can kick start any store, a lengthy period to expand customer base, restock and sell. The apprenticeship is also valuable, a secure salary + qualifications to fall back on. And another route I'd say, although it's not recommended it's better than abandoning your business, is to hire a part-time Manager with OTE of £20k, this is reasonable seeing your business is in the green and would remain profitably active! Consider all your options

ReputationRep:
    My question is, I want to leave work and work on my own eBay business and other business. That's what I enjoy. And it would give me more freedom (might be more work but more freedom).

However my apprenticeship is about to finish and if he offers me a lot of money I might think about staying.

I was thinking of going into the conversation with "I won't take anything under 17.5k". My question is do you think that's fair and what would you do in my situation?
    If you're 17 how are you not in education?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    If you're 17 how are you not in education?
    Apprenticeship counts as education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrology)
    Apprenticeship counts as education.
    I know but he said his apprenticeship is about to finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    This hasn't been said yet, however I think the best path for you now is doing both - It's manageable if you work hard. I'm in the network marketing game, and one year can kick start any store, a lengthy period to expand customer base, restock and sell. The apprenticeship is also valuable, a secure salary + qualifications to fall back on. And another route I'd say, although it's not recommended it's better than abandoning your business, is to hire a part-time Manager with OTE of £20k, this is reasonable seeing your business is in the green and would remain profitably active! Consider all your options

She's selling on ebay

Any manager she hires with an ounce of common sense would soon jump ship and start up their own rival business after a month or two once they've learnt who all OP's suppliers and customers are, and which items sell best ...etc

potentially low overheads of online selling makes hiring a manager risky as there is more chance of them setting up shop themselves.

If OP is drop shipping then i'd definitely expect any manager she hires to stab her in the back.......

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.