Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    She's selling on ebay

Any manager she hires with an ounce of common sense would soon jump ship and start up their own rival business after a month or two once they've learnt who all OP's suppliers and customers are, and which items sell best ...etc

potentially low overheads of online selling makes hiring a manager risky as there is more chance of them setting up shop themselves.

If OP is drop shipping then i'd definitely expect any manager she hires to stab her in the back.......
    Since when was I a she? Only joking but i'm indeed a "he".

The apprenticeship is in sales, and my business is in dropshipping actually. As you said, hiring a manager probably wouldnt be the best idea for exactly the reasons you stated.

Because of my age, ive more or less decided that i won't be sticking with my apprenticeship and working on a new business idea that is in development at the minute.

Just on a sidenote, I appreciate that 17k does sound like a lot of money, but it does justify itself when you bring over triple that into the business.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably going to sound like a very poor peasant here but I would take 17k within a heartbeat!!! This is how dire my situation must really be if someone like yourself at 17 is getting something along those lines and here I am at almost 23 working at wetherspoons (a big fml kick to the *******s low wage slave job!) earning less than 250 a week! I would say definitely work on your business and get your aspirations higher to make it flourish even more! You've definitely got potential and I say you should pursue it! (just a dropnote, I'm thankfully going back to uni this year so I hope I get a job with your salary op!) Big well done on your progress so far!

ReputationRep:
    The thing with negotiating is it's influenced by your personal circumstances. The person with more options gets the better deal.

If you are confident you can get other jobs at the same pay, don't need the money immediately and wouldn't be sad if it doesn't work out then you can and probably should negotiate.

If on the other hand these terms are better than you could easily get elsewhere, you need money immediately or would be sad if you didn't get it then you probably shouldn't negotiate.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly would not start a business at 17. Especially not a ebay business. Purely for legal reasons.

For starters, you cant have a PayPal account at under 18 years old so if you do, your business is already illegal.
    If you are using your parents PayPal then you are probably shouldn't be going into a business purely with it.

Under 18's cannot enter any legal contracts and just creates problems.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My question is, I want to leave work and work on my own eBay business and other business. That's what I enjoy. And it would give me more freedom (might be more work but more freedom).

However my apprenticeship is about to finish and if he offers me a lot of money I might think about staying.

I was thinking of going into the conversation with "I won't take anything under 17.5k". My question is do you think that's fair and what would you do in my situation?
    Keep on with your job when your apprenticeship finishes, whatever the money is. Do your ebay thing on the side. In a couple of years or so once the ebay takes off, you can think about quitting your job then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmankx2)
    I honestly would not start a business at 17. Especially not a ebay business. Purely for legal reasons.

For starters, you cant have a PayPal account at under 18 years old so if you do, your business is already illegal.
    If you are using your parents PayPal then you are probably shouldn't be going into a business purely with it.

Under 18's cannot enter any legal contracts and just creates problems.
    Yeah, I have all the contracts sorted out. And paypal etc.. nothing is illegal.

The business is registered etc etc.

I have actually left my job since posting this (I appreciate some of you may think that it was a bad idea).

I've started up my eBay business again and i'm going to stick with it until I can buy some capital for another business.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.