Turn on thread page Beta

how do i revise effectively? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I really hope this doesn't sound boastful because it isn't meant to be.
    I barely do any revision because I have always been good with memory and exams, so I've never really needed to. I thought the start of GCSEs would show me that I can't just coast and get good grades anymore but it's March of Year 11 and I'm still lacking motivation and any kind of revision technique.
    My last set of mocks we did full papers (despite not finishing the syllabus) and I got 7s, 8s and 9s and all I did was a tiny bit of work the night before exams, mostly reading through textbooks. I know I am capable of 9s in the real thing, but not without working properly. Yet I have zero motivation because I've done really well without working, and there's also the fact that I don't really know what effective revision is. Again I want to stress that this isn't meant to be a brag or anything, I just need advice because I know I will be disappointed if I get a string of 7s where I could have got 8s or 9s if i put the work in.

Could anyone who is/has been in a similar situation give me some tips?

ReputationRep:
    Well I was in the very same situation! I know how hard it can be to start revising but the truth is that starting is the hardest part! Once you've started then it's easy! Also do it to show yourself how much you can do when you're at the max of your potential! Good luck and don't give up. You'll be pround of you in the end
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Effective revision is putting out the minimal amount of time and effort for the maximum possible payoff. That means a lot of things. It means using the right methods for you. It means focusing on the things you need to develop.

There's an obvious issue here where if you haven't done much revision you aren't going to know what techniques work best for you. The way around that is to simply do revision and work out what helps you and what doesn't. Some people like flashcards, some people like notes, some people use colour and others don't. There's plenty of resources online with regards to different revision techniques and statistics for how we best remember information. A quick bit of Googling will help you if you are stuck there.

Everything is a process that is built up over time. If you have never revised properly then don't expect to instantly start revising perfectly and jump up to top grades. You need to put in time and effort to develop the right revision process for you and a big part of that is really understanding yourself. Understanding how you learn effectively and what tricks you can leverage to help revision.

At the end of the day, if you're going to be disappointed by getting 7s then there's your motivation. Work so that you don't get 7s. The rest is just a matter of putting the time in

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.