The Student Room Group

Contemplating buying a moped, Advice, Tips?

Im 17 in about 6 months but in all fairness i just cant wait.

Has anyone got any advice for or against it?

It would be a 50cc, the following reasons sway me to use it for a year

- cheap to run, maintain, insure, buy
- build a 1 year ncb hopefully
- cheaper insurance for first car in my mid 17 year old life
- will help me with road knowledge and confidence so im more prepared for a car?

Things putting me off

- more dangerous as there are many idiots around the roads
- 50cc, thing wont make it past 35 mph
- no passengers

Thanks!
Well you have to think about the roads you will be travelling on. If they're 30 roads then yeah why not. Just don't be a pavement rider.

Insurance is cheap, you can get them cheap and petrol is absolutely nothing.

I waited until I was 17 and got a 125 because I didn't really want to be seen on a 50 scoot but if you don't mind that, then they're perfect.

In terms of road safety - the statistics are made up of chavs trying to impress their girlfriends. If you're not one of them then it's really not as bad as people say.
Original post by Joshyouare
Well you have to think about the roads you will be travelling on. If they're 30 roads then yeah why not. Just don't be a pavement rider.

Insurance is cheap, you can get them cheap and petrol is absolutely nothing.

I waited until I was 17 and got a 125 because I didn't really want to be seen on a 50 scoot but if you don't mind that, then they're perfect.

In terms of road safety - the statistics are made up of chavs trying to impress their girlfriends. If you're not one of them then it's really not as bad as people say.

sounds good, yeah i wont be going far tbh, maybe 5 minutes down to mac ds or 2 minutes round corner to my nans.

I want a car tbh but it works out like 5 times the price and i got to wait another 5/6 months to even have a chance and then learn for another few months

In terms of road safety - the statistics are made up of chavs trying to impress their girlfriends.

Or people that get hit by cars driven by people with no observation. It's 2018, chavs drive Corsas and MK4 golfs, not mopeds.

I could never imagine myself to be that level of vulnerable and I'd rather get the bus than be on a ped in typical British weather which is more or less 80% of the year. But for a few shop trips to get 1 year NCB then hey, I struggle to also see why it can hurt.
Reply 4
Original post by MrCole&Co
x

Wait till you're 17 and get a 125cc motorbike instead. Far safer and will last you alot longer. Something like a Honda CG125, It'll get up to 60mph.
Original post by Reue
Wait till you're 17 and get a 125cc motorbike instead. Far safer and will last you alot longer. Something like a Honda CG125, It'll get up to 60mph.

tbh i only want it for one year until i can get a car, it will give me time to afford a much better car and lower insurance with 1 ncb.

But hey i might fall in love some how and become a biker
Original post by nevershear
Or people that get hit by cars driven by people with no observation. It's 2018, chavs drive Corsas and MK4 golfs, not mopeds.

I could never imagine myself to be that level of vulnerable and I'd rather get the bus than be on a ped in typical British weather which is more or less 80% of the year. But for a few shop trips to get 1 year NCB then hey, I struggle to also see why it can hurt.

Not sure where you live buddy but trust me around here that's what all the Chavs are on. It's also what a lot of the drug dealers around here go around on :smile:
tbh i only want it for one year until i can get a car, it will give me time to afford a much better car and lower insurance with 1 ncb.

The 1 year No Claims won't go towards your car no claims for most companies, you know that right?
Reply 8

I dont think the ncb will apply to car insurance.
Original post by Reue
I dont think the ncb will apply to car insurance.

The 1 year No Claims won't go towards your car no claims for most companies, you know that right?

some companies let you transfer it.
some companies let you transfer it.

Yeah some do let you transfer it but the ones that do will not even be worth looking at for insurance for a 17 year old (car).

I honestly wouldn't do it for the NCD.
Downtown, cruisin' through the alley...
I would say that it's pretty horrible to be on a moped or motorbike this time of year.

The clothing that will keep you warm and dry on a bike is costly and you need somewhere to stash it at work/school... and somewhere to dry it out at home

skidding on icy roads on a moped or a 125 isn't like skidding in a car - you don't just have a little slide that you'll probably recover from... the bike shoots out from under you which drops you onto the road and the bike goes sliding away with bits breaking off it.
Not sure where you live buddy but trust me around here that's what all the Chavs are on. It's also what a lot of the drug dealers around here go around on :smile:

London. It is; but to claim road safety is only/mostly (pick one) a problem when chavs are involved when they're some of the most vulnerable road users trying to share space with some of the most reckless (remembering that their car > moped when it comes to power) car users and thus the statistics tell a different tale; is somewhat wrong in my opinion. But yeah we don't have Chavs on peds much in Middlesex, in fact we don't really have many mopeds at all anymore the fad kinda died here years ago, in central they're still prevalent (since you'd be stupid to drive anything bigger through the middle of London) but when they aren't being driven by thieves; most ped drivers in central are sensible, it's the drivers of the prius' and big beamers that are the bigger risk to them because they literally don't care.
Yeah some do let you transfer it but the ones that do will not even be worth looking at for insurance for a 17 year old (car).

I honestly wouldn't do it for the NCD.

Im not , i need it to get around obviously, but thats a positive.
Original post by Joinedup
I would say that it's pretty horrible to be on a moped or motorbike this time of year.

The clothing that will keep you warm and dry on a bike is costly and you need somewhere to stash it at work/school... and somewhere to dry it out at home

skidding on icy roads on a moped or a 125 isn't like skidding in a car - you don't just have a little slide that you'll probably recover from... the bike shoots out from under you which drops you onto the road and the bike goes sliding away with bits breaking off it.

I got money, i can buy the clothes buddy.

only problem is what you have stated about falling off and how crap they are in bad weather
London. It is; but to claim road safety is only/mostly (pick one) a problem when chavs are involved when they're some of the most vulnerable road users trying to share space with some of the most reckless (remembering that their car > moped when it comes to power) car users and thus the statistics tell a different tale; is somewhat wrong in my opinion. But yeah we don't have Chavs on peds much in Middlesex, in fact we don't really have many mopeds at all anymore the fad kinda died here years ago, in central they're still prevalent (since you'd be stupid to drive anything bigger through the middle of London) but when they aren't being driven by thieves; most ped drivers in central are sensible, it's the drivers of the prius' and big beamers that are the bigger risk to them because they literally don't care.

Exactly mate, I have been on my 125 for 8 months - I rag it about a bit and i'm fine. I did also say that most of the statistics are from Chavs trying to pull wheelies for example - sure there are some sensible riders who get knocked over by a modded out seat ibizia.

My point only is if you ride a scooter safely and keep your eyes on the road you should be fine.
Exactly mate, I have been on my 125 for 8 months - I rag it about a bit and i'm fine. I did also say that most of the statistics are from Chavs trying to pull wheelies for example - sure there are some sensible riders who get knocked over by a modded out seat ibizia.

My point only is if you ride a scooter safely and keep your eyes on the road you should be fine.

Man people mod mx5s around here, not Ibizas lol. Stock Ibizas used to be everywhere in my area up until recently when even an old one sells for like £3k providing it runs.
Man people mod mx5s around here, not Ibizas lol. Stock Ibizas used to be everywhere in my area up until recently when even an old one sells for like £3k providing it runs.

Yeah you dont see many modded mx-5s around here, the two seats and obviously the golfs.
Yeah you dont see many modded mx-5s around here, the two seats and obviously the golfs.

my buddy who rides told me to never buy second hand helmet because if its dropped the inside protection is damaged. True?

Btw i just applied for provisional so lets get this party started, are they any makes that give cheaper insurance as im getting 500 quid insurance quotes on third party

Quick Reply

Latest