Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bucking up for AS-levels retakes watch

ReputationRep:
    INTRO(edited)
    I'm studystix a brand of sticks that screwed up her AS mocks and needs to start working If want to go to Uni.
    So that's why I'm a doing a GYG to try and be more productive at the very least.
    It there's something I'm going to post, if anything, it'll be stationery. notebooks, pens, felt tips, the like.
    I'll also be posting revision tips, quotes or motivational posters that I find online or that I heard someone using IRL oh and test results too.
    For personal reason, I may not be updating as much as I'd like to, but that will hopefully be sorted out soon.
    GSCE grades:
    English lit
    Spoiler:
    Show

C

English language
    Spoiler:
    Show

B

Maths
    Spoiler:
    Show

B

Biology
    Spoiler:
    Show

B

Chemistry
    Spoiler:
    Show

B

Physics
    Spoiler:
    Show

B(just barely scraped that one)

Art
    Spoiler:
    Show

C

German
    Spoiler:
    Show

C

Geography

Spoiler:
    Show

B

A-levels and expected grades:
    OCR- religious studies- philosophy and ethics
    C
    AQA- applied science
    C
    Edexcel- biology
    C

EDIT: As of now I'm currently below targets for all 3 subjects.
    that's something I want to change

ReputationRep:
    13/03/2018

the first post that isn't my intro post.
    here we go!

Today, I had my results from a genetics test that I did last week and got 44%.
    being myself, I immediately compared it to the results of my classmates and decided that I wasn't good enough., mind you, they weren't waving their results around the class. I just took a look at their results from across the room when they started flipping them over.

Since I restarted year 12, I decided that I would do better than before considering how it would kill me to fail twice(and my mother would kill me If that didn't) though I only really started to make more of an effort about 2 months ago.
    One of these ways that I've tried to improve was by actually studying for tests Instead of forgetting about them the day before and putting actual effort into learning.
    Still rather disappointed by my results though, damn you new exam format!

Heres a motivational quote that I found today off of google:

I also despise Grammarly at this point, It keeps jumping back when I haven't even finished the word.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Good luck with your retakes!

I'm also retaking an exam this year (A2 classical civilisation) and I know how difficult it can be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Good luck with your retakes!

I'm also retaking an exam this year (A2 classical civilisation) and I know how difficult it can be
    Thank you! :five:

ReputationRep:
    07/04/2018

I've really slacked on this haven't I?

Hello whoever is reading this!
    as you can tell by the number of posts here and the title that I haven't been working much.
    I only really started revising a few days ago and it was very lacking in quality and quantity, which is exactly the same mistake that I did last year.

so, as I said I was going to do to, i'm going to track my revision for the rest of the holiday, every day if possible.

I'm going to edit this post as i go along the rest of today so stay tuned.
    ---
    16: something- 18:49 (four pomodoros)
    religious studies revision: ethics-natural law
    I went over the introduction for natural law in my OCR book which took much longer than I initially expected, but then again, that's how it's supposed to be. I'm still not done yet, after my 15 minute break, i'm going to work on any schoolwork/ coursework that I need to do over the break as well.

I'm actually using a study with me video for this, which I will put a link to once my work/study session is finished.

20:00 (two pomodoros) I worked on some coursework, and after comparison, I've concluded that something has gone horribly wrong with them since some of them don't match with some of the values that have been calculated, sadly the video worked it's magic and I was too focused on my task to realize that something wasn't right till i got to the end of my calculations.

Oh well, at least it worked!
    here's the video I used ! :

ReputationRep:
    08/04/2018

My knees ache so much

I should seriously sit down more at work, Standing up for almost five hours is not a good idea, even if you move around If there is anyone who does that as well, please stop.

I was working today which is why the time I study on weekends are rather short in comparison to what I can do on weekdays, so I'm trying to work as well as I can for now.

It might have been obvious from the last post, but I'm a big fan of the pomodoro method splitting my work time into bite sized chunks makes It easier for me to work in long periods of time, Its different when I have an exam or test because I know when It ends, meanwhile with revision, unless I put down goals or something, then It doesn't work very well for me since I can get so easily distracted.
    I should probably make another revision timetable...

will edit In a few hours!:bl:

18:46- 20:51
    philosophy revision
    i studied 'philosophical influences' i.e. Aristotle and Plato using the pomodoro method once again using two videos from a 'study with me' playlist which I will also link to.
    It's kind of weird how slow studying can be which is probably why It's better off being done right at the beginning of the year, seriously, i had a checklist of about 8 things to study for philosophy and I only got to two in the list.

It's kind of weird, but i suppose that makes It even more satisfying.

The first two videos are the one that I used for this session:

Tomorrow I'm going to spend as much of my day as I can studying/revising at school since It's still open for a revision space.
    Also, what is the difference between 'studying' and 'revising', Is there a difference?
    Is it like 'jam' and 'jelly' or what?

ReputationRep:
    09/04/2018
    Oh Dear...

I DID go to school, but because I spend about an hour trying to print out some questions and revision notes, I ended up just saying 'screw It' and left.
    I also Got some supplies on sale getting:
    some christmasy washi tape, some highlighter pens, a little alphabet storage box, a pen stylus and a magazine tray.
    I painted a bit with a new watercolour paints for like 2-3 hours...OK I'm going to get ready and start revision soon.
    21:14
    ...about that...I'll wake up early and do It tomorrow!
    hopefully this doesn't bite me later.
    I found an Interesting article today:
    https://mathmaine.com/2012/09/07/stu...g-to-memorize/

ReputationRep:
    16/04/2018
    Back to school

WOW I missed out a lot of days.
    The laptop that my dad lent to me suddenly decided that It didn't want to accept the password, so that didn't help.
    I'm finally back at school again and as of now it is 40 past 3.
    I'm also readin TSR posts as I do this.
    because I hade a free period today. I did some revision of CF, transcription and translation and a little bit of replication at the end.:
    I think I'll update this later at some point so I just leave this motivational picture here for now:

ReputationRep:
    19/04/2018
    What the hell is with this weather?!

You know, I went to bed at about 11pm yesterday. Want to know what happened?

I stayed in bed awake, till 3 am.

I usually wake at 6am, so you probably have a good idea of how I'm feeling today.

Anyway, yesterday I got a short report from my school, my target grades are all C's again, unfortunately, and I’m working below targets for all of them.

It’s my fault for not working as hard as I should have, for example deciding to do something that would benefit me, i.e. packing my things for the next day, only to throw that sentiment out of the window half an hour later.

It was around this time last year that I was told that I was underachieving and I needed to do something about it.

And dear lord do I hate coursework.
    On a positive note, I think that I’m slowly, but surely becoming more organised so Things are less likely to catch me out. I'm also less antsy over asking teachers for help, something that I don't like doing because I end up feeling stupid for not understanding it.

I'll put my day's revision on here later in the day and enjoy the rest of my break, so for now, here's a picture of some study tips:

EDIT: I just realised that yesterday I said the same thing and I didn't touch this for the rest of the day, welp seems I just avoided that!
    EDIT:
    I did some mindmaps for RS philosophy on religious experience for about 55 minutes
    And at my H/W club, I went over an exam and some questions.
    one was on mutation, another was on general applied science, though the queations we did where focused on the heart and excercise.
    At the homework club I go to, we book a tutor(well, they're not always tutors, they may just work in the field that our subject relates to) on an online poll, then we come in and they help us with what we need to do
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Studystix)
    On a positive note, I think that I’m slowly, but surely becoming more organised so Things are less likely to catch me out. I'm also less antsy over asking teachers for help, something that I don't like doing because I end up feeling stupid for not understanding it.
    Organisation is half the battle! Once you get that down things should start falling into place for you pretty quickly! :gthumb:

Never be afraid to ask for help, the way I see it is the worst that can happen is you come away exactly the same as you were before you asked, it's their job to help you and that's what they want to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Homer)
    Organisation is half the battle! Once you get that down things should start falling into place for you pretty quickly! :gthumb:

Never be afraid to ask for help, the way I see it is the worst that can happen is you come away exactly the same as you were before you asked, it's their job to help you and that's what they want to do!
    Yeah, I'm still trying to get used to organisation, since I tend to just wing it. :^_^:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.