Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you see your parents? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After a (slightly) heated discussion with my dad, I thought I'd ask the question of how often it's normal to see your parents once you've moved out of the family home.

We still live quite near each other, however I am very busy and have lots of things to do, plus my partner and friends, so don't see my parents too often. I do however see them more than some of my friends do, and I do keep in touch via text etc.

How often would you say was reasonable to see your parents when you no longer live there? Appreciate views from people who live locally at uni and also who live further away.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I live about an hour an and a half away from my parents and I probably see them every three/four weeks if I can. But I'm very close to my parents and I don't really have any friends or a partner. Everyone's different though, I know some people who go home every weekend and some who only go home for the holidays.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

im very close with my parents and when I move out I plan to visit like once a month at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    After a (slightly) heated discussion with my dad, I thought I'd ask the question of how often it's normal to see your parents once you've moved out of the family home.

We still live quite near each other, however I am very busy and have lots of things to do, plus my partner and friends, so don't see my parents too often. I do however see them more than some of my friends do, and I do keep in touch via text etc.

How often would you say was reasonable to see your parents when you no longer live there? Appreciate views from people who live locally at uni and also who live further away.

Thanks!
    I study in Romania so I only come over during the holidays, but if I were in your shoes I would go every week or every other week and just call and tell them I have plans this week I can't come over. would that work with them??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've moved 200 miles away from uni and I've been home twice since September. I don't really miss home or my family that much. We call and text so it's not like I'm going months without any contact. The next time I'll be going home is when I'm moving out of uni at the end of May.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Live about 3 hours away from mine, haven’t seen them since Christmas - planning on going down at Easter. That’s longer than usual, normally it’s around every 8-10 weeks or so.

It’s been around that much since I left home at 18, with the exception of when I lived back home for a while and then lived around 45 mins away (would see them every 2/3 weeks then).

I’d like to be able to see them more but it’s hard to schedule in a whole weekend to go down and I’m not massively confident driving down so the less I have to do it the better!

ReputationRep:
    Before I moved back home I would usually see them every 3-4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at University so I see my parents physically roughly every 3 months. I do call them once a week/fortnite, just to catch up and assure them I haven't died
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I live about 100 miles away, generally I see my family at Christmas and mums and my sister's birthday, I d say at most it's five times a year. I speak to them on the phone for a bit most weekends.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I live 20 minutes from them. I usually see them once a week. More if dad's around my area (he reads metres) and decides he needs a wee. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    call my mum pretty much every day or a few times a week
    my dad I only call him once a while but tbh it is less often
    but seeing my dad next weekend for the first time since october :excited:

ReputationRep:
    I live about a 15 minute drive from my parents and see them about once a week, maybe twice. I'll probably see them more when I've learnt to drive though.

ReputationRep:
    All of you should make as much effort as you can to see your parents. I never met my parents and you never know when they won't be there when you might want to see them.
    Try to resolve and forgive if there are issues. X

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I was at university, it wasn't feasible to see them very often because of the distance, so I'd only really see them in the holidays. However, I rang them at least 4 times a week. This probs sounds excessive, but I like talking to my parents and talking to my mum about inane stuff like what she had for dinner :')

Now I've moved out, I see them usually twice a week and ring most days just to check in and see if they're okay. They won't be around forever, so I want to spend as much time with them as possible. They raised me and supported me for years, so I want to give something back.

ReputationRep:
    Twice or three times a month.
    Although my mom and I are very close I still prefer not seeing her that much and not talking about my personal life... I am too different from what she think or want me to be.

I live 2 hours from home and in first year my parents wanted to visit me every 3-4 weeks. I felt like it was a bit too often but it was fair enough because I was the last child to leave home, so it was their first time being lonely. My mum would also text and call me pretty much every day.
    In second year they were more used to me being away and my brother had moved back home so they only visited me maybe once a term. My mum continued to call me every day though.
    Third year they've only specifically visited once, and another time they were driving nearby and passed for dinner. Mum still calls every day...

I've never gone home to visit them during term time, just because when we're in the house I tend to just be in my room anyway so it'd be pointless. Seems like too much effort to go home just for a couple of nights, there isn't really anything for me at home. Prefer my parents visiting because at least it's specific quality time.

Most of my uni friends go home pretty regularly though. Every 2-4 weeks. I'm not sure why, I think probably because they have pets or they want to see a younger sibling.

I always go home during the holidays though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.