Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 2nd year at a University that lets just say, isn't the most exciting of Universities. It's a pretty campus attached to a small town, not exactly student friendly. It's dull and uninspiring, dreadful nightlife. And because of this, the people that are attracted to this Uni are either quiet and socially awkward or pretentious and petty "county" girls. I haven't really found anyone I like, despite meeting loads and loads of people - trust me I'm not over generalizing. I've joined many societies, chatted to people in my modules, attended loads of Pres, and met very few people who I actually like.

I'm an outgoing, fun loving, adventurous city person. I have only properly established this once coming to this Uni and realizing that where I am is everything against who I am. After looking at my options in first year I decided that staying at this University was the best option for me, despite possibly wanting to transfer.

I worked at a club for 3 months which was exciting and gave me something to do, but I can no longer work there due to reasons I won't get into. Now I don't work there anymore I do nothing on the weekend and am bored most evenings with no one to hang out with. I am actually considering just leaving Uni and moving to Brighton to work at a club.

Studies wise, the modules are remotely interesting but I have lost all motivation for Uni work because everything else in my life is so ****. I really regret not picking a Uni where I could actually find a group of friends who are similar to me and be in a place that engages me.

Has anyone got any solutions?

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I’d look into transferring into another university for year 2 2018 start
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by pinktulip12)
    I'm 2nd year at a University that lets just say, isn't the most exciting of Universities. It's a pretty campus attached to a small town, not exactly student friendly. It's dull and uninspiring, dreadful nightlife. And because of this, the people that are attracted to this Uni are either quiet and socially awkward or pretentious and petty "county" girls. I haven't really found anyone I like, despite meeting loads and loads of people - trust me I'm not over generalizing. I've joined many societies, chatted to people in my modules, attended loads of Pres, and met very few people who I actually like.

I'm an outgoing, fun loving, adventurous city person. I have only properly established this once coming to this Uni and realizing that where I am is everything against who I am. After looking at my options in first year I decided that staying at this University was the best option for me, despite possibly wanting to transfer.

I worked at a club for 3 months which was exciting and gave me something to do, but I can no longer work there due to reasons I won't get into. Now I don't work there anymore I do nothing on the weekend and am bored most evenings with no one to hang out with. I am actually considering just leaving Uni and moving to Brighton to work at a club.

Studies wise, the modules are remotely interesting but I have lost all motivation for Uni work because everything else in my life is so ****. I really regret not picking a Uni where I could actually find a group of friends who are similar to me and be in a place that engages me.

I would recommend NOT dropping out of uni to work in a club in Brighton :yy:

There's a really useful Transfer FAQ here that you should read through. Because you're already halfway through second year I am not sure how transfering would work, but there's lots of people here who will know more about this :woo:It's worth waiting until you understand all your options before making any decisions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinktulip12)

Why did you feel that staying at that university was the best option for you, despite your unhappiness? It does sound like the university is not for you, and a university in a bigger city may suit your personality more. It does sound like how you feel is already having an impact on your studies, but at least you have acknowledged that the problem is with the university itself. I would suggest trying to get involved in more things at university to keep yourself busy and entertained, but you have already done this and the issue still remains. You only really have two options: stay at your current university and remain unhappy, or change to a different university where you will be happier and therefore motivated. I would finish your current university year, and research universities which appeal more to you. Definitely go to university open days, and get a real feel of what universities are like. You may have the option to transfer to a university into the 3rd or 4th year, as long as you provide them evidence that you have made progress in your studies. I can imagine that could be a good option.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.