Turn on thread page Beta

Good to judge a uni based on contact hours? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    other than other things such as entry requirements, uni's rep and suitability, is it a good idea to judge a uni based on its contact hours? Eg. York looks nice -has 8 hours contact for courses I'm interested in- but so does Birmingham -has 10 hours contact. surely more contact time = more value of £9K right?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    other than other things such as entry requirements, uni's rep and suitability, is it a good idea to judge a uni based on its contact hours? Eg. York looks nice -has 8 hours contact for courses I'm interested in- but so does Birmingham -has 10 hours contact. surely more contact time = more value of £9K right?
    Rep doesn't mean much for a start.

Contact hours doesn't necessarily mean more value for money. You're paying to learn how to study independently and get access to people and facilities which you won't have access to otherwise and not just for time spent being taught.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people say it's value for your money or how much it costs for each lecture. You're paying for a degree. You're paying for the opportunity to get you that and to use the resources to get you that. You have to pay the same everywhere as there is a cap on 9250 and unis are just moneygrabbers and try to get every penny from you so they will all charge the full amount. It's a bad mentality if you think the more hours you have the better value for money it is as you have to pay the same everywhere so you should pay for the one you want to do and what you'll enjoy. Surely that would be better value for money rather than one with more hours?

ReputationRep:
    My course has 21 contact hours.

A lot of them are supervised practicals.

Make sure you know what these contact hours
    are
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, more contact hours does not necessarily equate to a better course.

ReputationRep:
    oh god no

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Depends on what they mean by contact hours - could be 1:1, 1:whole class, or 1:50 (lecture open to more than group of students (e.g. any one who's doing maths or physics BSc.). Do you mean class room time inclusive or exclusive of times when the tutor is available for students to meet them?

Also contact hours vary by degree types - Arts/ Humanities typically have less contact time than STEM courses. You have to compare like with like.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Nope. Depends on what they mean by contact hours - could be 1:1, 1:whole class, or 1:50 (lecture open to more than group of students (e.g. any one who's doing maths or physics BSc.). Do you mean class room time inclusive or exclusive of times when the tutor is available for students to meet them?

Also contact hours vary by degree types - Arts/ Humanities typically have less contact time than STEM courses. You have to compare like with like.
    just classroom time you have to go in a week, everyones disagreeing but i initially just thought it was unfair that some top unis give you 8 hours of contact time a week when you're paying so much and working so hard to get great alevel grades for them, apparently not though

ReputationRep:
    just classroom time you have to go in a week, everyones disagreeing but i initially just thought it was unfair that some top unis give you 8 hours of contact time a week when you're paying so much and working so hard to get great alevel grades for them, apparently not though
    I can see why you think this but you have to remember that university is very different from school. You won't be spoon-fed like you are at school, you're expected to do most of your studying by yourself, in your own time. Lectures and tutorials are there to give you the basics of a topic or maybe go over the more difficult subjects, it's down to you to then do further research and extra reading to get the top marks. Just because you have less contact time, it doesn't mean you're gaining less knowledge or are at a disadvantage to others. Contact time also depends on the courses you're applying for.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.