The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yes, as a Muslim girl you can join the army, no problem. Your prayers can be delayed and will take a back seat as fighting and killing for your country will obviously come first if you are a soldier.

Lol. 😂. 'Maulana' back I see.
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Lol. 😂. 'Maulana' back I see.

Was he/she joking?
Reply 122
Should one do it with the intention of Allah in mind, he would come to assist. Take the battle of Uhud as an example.
So if you're in the middle of a sword fight with an enemy and the azan sounds, you can drop your sword, kneel on the ground, and Allah will protect you from injury or death?
If that is the case, why didn't muhammad do that? And why does the Quran say that if you fear attack from an enemy you can pray while on foot or riding?

The battle before could not be compared to the numbers of individuals present in the army today. They had a battlefield in which it portrays the number of individuals that they were fighting, today it's a different story.
Sorry, lost me there.

Pointless? and avoidable? Do you know the exact time and place you are going to pass away?
Does anyone? Is it predetermined and fixed?
Original post by ugaaa5
Was he/she joking?

Joking about what?
If you want to its up to you, I would advise to speak to a knowledgeable Imam about this topic. People are saying they are having big campaigns for diversity etc but that is all a bunch of BS, the army and organisations like police are still the same there is still the racist aspect to them. Yeah there is a big campaign for BME groups but what about retention....
Original post by redleader1
If you want to its up to you, I would advise to speak to a knowledgeable Imam about this topic. People are saying they are having big campaigns for diversity etc but that is all a bunch of BS, the army and organisations like police are still the same there is still the racist aspect to them. Yeah there is a big campaign for BME groups but what about retention....

Would you like to substantiate your claims?
Original post by ugaaa5
Was he/she joking?

Maybe.
Original post by QE2
Does anyone? Is it predetermined and fixed?

Even if Allah does not protect one the reward of dying as a martyr is significant. Maybe their death was written as such?

Battlefields in our Beloved prophet Muhammad(SAW) times, compared to today.

You tell me. Do you know when you will die? What place? In what state?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ugaaa5
What I meant is very clear. Read between the lines.
The likelihood is that the OP is referring to infantry roles.

It really isn't. The odds are massively in favour of them being interested in one of the name other roles.

Especially as infantry isn't yet open to women.
Reply 129
Even if Allah does not protect one the reward of dying as a martyr is significant. Maybe their death was written as such?
So Allah won't necessarily protect you in such a situation.
Then why did you say that he would?

Battlefields in our Beloved prophet Muhammad(SAW) times, compared to today.
Still don't understand. How does that affect the issue?

You tell me. Do you know when you will die? What place? In what state?
Erm, you brought it up so you must think it is relevant.
I don't know, but Allah does, doesn't he?
Original post by Drewski
It really isn't. The odds are massively in favour of them being interested in one of the name other roles.

Especially as infantry isn't yet open to women.

I learnt something new today.
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Salamu Alaykum

Firstly, I'm not a scholar or a sheikh but I'm a revert to Islam who's been studying for quite a while and from what I've studied, I don't think it's permissible for you to join the army. Obviously it's your decision

Firstly, modern wars involve invasions for silly reasons and a lot of collateral damage both of which aren't allowed in Islam. We know that killing an innocent is one of the worst sins in Islam and although you may not kill an innocent, you've pledged allegiance and supported army that may do so.

Secondly, except in cases of necessity, women are generally not supposed to serve in the army. Before I'm accused of misogyny or inequality let me explain the Islamic stance on gender equality.

Islam doesn't believe in complete equality but equity. Equality means treating two things the same. Equity means treating two things according to their characteristics. Men and women are different biologically and psychologically which is why equality is injustice. You can't treat two different things as equal. Let me give you an example: Imagine a short person and a tall person are watching a football game and there is a fence in between them. However, the short person cannot see over the fence and requires two boxes to stand on to see where as the tall person doesn't need any boxes. If I get two boxes, is it justice to give a box to each person even though the short person still won't be able to see? That's why equality isn't always correct where as with equity, you treat the two according to their characteristics so you treat the short person More favourably due to their height and give them two boxes. Now both can watch the game.

However, I should mention that in most cases, the ruling for men and women are equal because there's not a huge difference between the two. As the prophet (saw) said: women are the twin halves of men

Rather we believe in equity. In certain circumstances, men get privelages over women and in others women over men. In this case, due to the man's physical strength superiority and also his role as a protector, men are expected to be burdened with fighting and women are not.

I know this is a sensitive topic since the West believes in complete equality in all cases but that's simply an idea we're brought up with. In reality, even in the west there are cases where men and women aren't equal. For example, men can walk around topless where as women can't. Men get less leave than women when a woman gives birth etc.

I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'm simply saying that equality is injustice and equity is justice

Latest