Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've been very firm in wanting to pursue English Lit at University - the thing is I don't enjoy Classic Literature all that much. That might sound ridiculous, but I'm consistently good at English and enjoy creative writing, so a lit degree seemed logical, even if I find actual analysis of classic lit very dull.

I was always under the impression Liberal Arts was a fluff degree without really knowing much about it. But recently I've been doing research on the Durham and KCL Liberal Arts courses and they seem really in touch with my interests - they allow me to mainly study English Lit, but the KCL course in particular gives you the ability to branch out into History, Film, Language and Philosophy, which are all things I am interested in and are relevant to the A Levels I'm planning on studying, and there's also more opportunities for studying abroad.

So what I want to ask is, would a degree in Liberal Arts from a good Uni be as good as an English Lit degree? I know Liberal Arts is probably considered a 'soft' subject, but I can't think of any careers you could get with an English Lit degree that you couldn't get with a degree in any of the other humanities. So I feel as though I might as well be learning things I enjoy.

EDIT: I'm sorry I put this in the wrong topic but oh well lmao
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by emelmaa)
    Hey guys,

I've been very firm in wanting to pursue English Lit at University - the thing is I don't enjoy Classic Literature all that much. That might sound ridiculous, but I'm consistently good at English and enjoy creative writing, so a lit degree seemed logical, even if I find actual analysis of classic lit very dull.

I was always under the impression Liberal Arts was a fluff degree without really knowing much about it. But recently I've been doing research on the Durham and KCL Liberal Arts courses and they seem really in touch with my interests - they allow me to mainly study English Lit, but the KCL course in particular gives you the ability to branch out into History, Film, Language and Philosophy, which are all things I am interested in and are relevant to the A Levels I'm planning on studying, and there's also more opportunities for studying abroad.

So what I want to ask is, would a degree in Liberal Arts from a good Uni be as good as an English Lit degree? They're both considered 'soft' subjects so I feel as though I might as well be learning things I enjoy.

EDIT: I'm sorry I put this in the wrong topic but oh well lmao
    English Lit isnt a soft degree. Why arent you looking at a degree in creative writing? It does sound stupid to do a degree in something you dont like.

The good uni will protect you to a degree an may be more suitable. You just have t compare your potential modules. I think if you asked people what LA was, then they wouldnt be able to tell you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    English Lit isnt a soft degree. Why arent you looking at a degree in creative writing? It does sound stupid to do a degree in something you dont like.

The good uni will protect you to a degree an may be more suitable. You just have t compare your potential modules. I think if you asked people what LA was, then they wouldnt be able to tell you.
    Oh my God, yeah, idk what I was thinking. English Lit is literally a facilitating subject. I think I meant that it does come under the Liberal Arts banner, so it doesn't have a very clear career path afterwards. Usually people go on to jobs in journalism, teaching, etc. which are also jobs Liberal Arts degrees can branch out into, even if employers aren't as aware of it.

I'd like to do a Masters in Screenwriting at NFATS which really judges your portfolio rather than your qualifications. I did consider a Creative Writing degree a while ago but thought English Lit would be better for employment. I might actually go back to looking at CW degrees and their modules now I'm less concerned with things looking impressive on my CV and more with getting a degree in something I'm interested in and will help me with what I wanna do.

Just wondering though - would a CW and LA degree be considered similarly by an employer? I was under the impression CW degrees were seen as 'useless' similar to LA degrees, so I'm wondering if one course would have an edge over the other in anything other than what peaks my interest more.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Oh my God, yeah, idk what I was thinking. English Lit is literally a facilitating subject. I think I meant that it does come under the Liberal Arts banner, so it doesn't have a very clear career path afterwards. Usually people go on to jobs in journalism, teaching, etc. which are also jobs Liberal Arts degrees can branch out into, even if employers aren't as aware of it.

I'd like to do a Masters in Screenwriting at NFATS which really judges your portfolio rather than your qualifications. I did consider a Creative Writing degree a while ago but thought English Lit would be better for employment. I might actually go back to looking at CW degrees and their modules now I'm less concerned with things looking impressive on my CV and more with getting a degree in something I'm interested in and will help me with what I wanna do.

Just wondering though - would a CW and LA degree be considered similarly by an employer? I was under the impression CW degrees were seen as 'useless' similar to LA degrees, so I'm wondering if one course would have an edge over the other in anything other than what peaks my interest more.

I think you have to do your research and I cant give you a definitive answer. What we do know is if you got in to Durham or KCL then you have a good uni behind you.

They will have employment data.

Alternatively I was thinking maybe you could also look at a degree in film and television production studies. have answered queries on people wanting screenwriting before. As for CW, then yes in theory soft, but it is relevant if you want to be an actual writer? Didnt do Kazuo Ishiguro any harm.

At the moment it all seems a bit unclear to me what you want.

My fallback plan if in your situation would be to get the best grades possible, take a gap and then decide what it is you want to do. If you have the grades you have choice. You can then look into careers, with some of them involving writing being unpredictable. NFATS is good. I think PQ knows a lot about this area. maybe you could network and talk to people in your target job and see what they say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I think you have to do your research and I cant give you a definitive answer. What we do know is if you got in to Durham or KCL then you have a good uni behind you.

They will have employment data.

Alternatively I was thinking maybe you could also look at a degree in film and television production studies. have answered queries on people wanting screenwriting before. As for CW, then yes in theory soft, but it is relevant if you want to be an actual writer? Didnt do Kazuo Ishiguro any harm.

At the moment it all seems a bit unclear to me what you want.

My fallback plan if in your situation would be to get the best grades possible, take a gap and then decide what it is you want to do. If you have the grades you have choice. You can then look into careers, with some of them involving writing being unpredictable. NFATS is good. I think PQ knows a lot about this area. maybe you could network and talk to people in your target job and see what they say?
    Sorry it probably does seem like I'm zigzagging a lot with what I say! I still have 2 or 3 year before I have to make this decision so I'm trying to get any messy indecision out of way now. Basically, the Masters and industry I plan on going into really favour a portfolio/experience over actual qualifications, so I'm not necessarily focused on it. Even if LA degrees aren't particularly well known, they'd probably be more useful in backup careers like publishing than something very specific like Film Production. So overall i still dk. I guess I was just trying to check Liberal Arts wasn't as useless as everyone seems to make out, and it seems it isn't. As long as I get it from a good Uni like Durham/King's I should be fine, and I still have ages to work everything out.

Anyway thanks for the help.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Sorry it probably does seem like I'm zigzagging a lot with what I say! I still have 2 or 3 year before I have to make this decision so I'm trying to get any messy indecision out of way now. Basically, the Masters and industry I plan on going into really favour a portfolio/experience over actual qualifications, so I'm not necessarily focused on it. Even if LA degrees aren't particularly well known, they'd probably be more useful in backup careers like publishing than something very specific like Film Production. So overall i still dk. I guess I was just trying to check Liberal Arts wasn't as useless as everyone seems to make out, and it seems it isn't. As long as I get it from a good Uni like Durham/King's I should be fine, and I still have ages to work everything out.

Anyway thanks for the help.
    Ask PQ they have a lot of expertise on which of these media related courses are useful. If you arent going to do one for first degree i.e film and television, then a general degree from either of those unis is going to be respected as being of good quality.

Try and build up some contacts with people or organisations associated with the industry and jobs that interest you. Keep a box file for all your research.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.