Turn on thread page Beta

Got 4 rejections and will probably get a fifth, kinda lost about what to do. watch

ReputationRep:
    Where did you apply to and was this for entry into 1st year or foundation year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    Where did you apply to and was this for entry into 1st year or foundation year?
    Nottingham, Loughborough, Leister, Kent & Sussex, all for foundation year physics prob very stupid as i only just realised that they were ranked in the top 30 best uni's but there arent really many other uni's that offer foundation years for physics, a few i avoided because they seemed to be not that great.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Juvilation)
    Personally I don't want to go into a career in finance as I'm not really into boring office jobs wearing a grey suit, also i'm a sceptic when it comes to the sustainability of these jobs, iv'e read a few news articles that in 20 years finance jobs will be done by robots, I may be overreacting but i don't really fancy working in the finance sector, at least not atm.
    That's fair enough- it wouldn't be for me either. I have a cousin who's taken this route though, and loves it.

What sort of things could you see yourself doing in the next 10 years?

I also wouldn't worry about the jobs market 20 years into the future- lots of people change careers in their late 20s/30s anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    That's fair enough- it wouldn't be for me either. I have a cousin who's taken this route though, and loves it.

What sort of things could you see yourself doing in the next 10 years?

I also wouldn't worry about the jobs market 20 years into the future- lots of people change careers in their late 20s/30s anyway.
    Yh, I've read a lot of stories about people leaving their jobs and making businesses from scratch, its really commendable.

tbh idk what I would be doing in the next 10 or 20 years,preferably a millionaire/billionaire (i know that sounds childish but yh)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What universities did you apply to, it is most likely that you didn't meet their minimum requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    What universities did you apply to, it is most likely that you didn't meet their minimum requirements.
    Nottingham, Loughborough, Leister, Kent & Sussex, all for foundation year physics prob very stupid as i only just realised that they were ranked in the top 30 best uni's but there arent really many other uni's that offer foundation years for physics, a few i avoided because they seemed to be not that great, your probably right about not having the right graded as i did kinda **** up my mocks.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham, Loughborough, Leister, Kent & Sussex, all for foundation year physics prob very stupid as i only just realised that they were ranked in the top 30 best uni's but there arent really many other uni's that offer foundation years for physics, a few i avoided because they seemed to be not that great.
    It's a good idea though, if you are adamant on going you could apply to somewhere such as Keele through extra. They require 64 Ucas points which you'd have and from what I've heard the foundation year they offer is very good. Then based upon your grades during the FY you could apply to the one's you've mentioned above or stay at Keele that's definatly an option though. But don't feel pressured to go, there's no rush what so ever. would say though to apply to Keele quick as the FY gets filled up fast or look at other unis mid table as you are much more likely to be accepted though make sure it's somewhere you'd be happy to go as it's not a guarantee you can transfer Unis regardless of how well you do.

ReputationRep:
    As you can read in the title, I've applied for ucas with 5 choices and have so far been rejected by 4 of them, the fifth hasn't replied but i'm kinda worried and convinced that I will get rejected by it as well.

Currently I am in year 13 and im studying Music Technology and BTEC Sports & Exercise Science. I did kinda *****y in my AS by getting D for Music overall, Failing sports science and getting a E in Politics, as a result I had to drop politics if I wanted to continue on to year 13. I enjoyed politics but during class I was completely baffled about what I was learning mainly cause I didn't ask my teachers for help. I kinda feel bad cause everyone else who didn't re-take they year kinda did well or okay and I go to a really good school where a bunch of them will probably end up in oxford or Cambridge, I'm also really antisocial and shy so cant really talk to many people about it as I find it really hard to talk to others about it.

When it came to deciding to choose what I wanted to in the future, I decided to go into Physics as during my GCSE's, Physics was probably my favourite subject, also I didn't enjoy Sports Science as mush as I hoped and while I did enjoy music, I didn't think it would be worth it as a career choice so I will probably just keep as a hobby when I leave college. One problem, I wasn't doing Physics A-Level because I ****ed my GCSE'S up only getting 1A in History so I couldn't do Physics in my sixth form, also I pretty much had forgotten everything from GCSE about physics so when it came to writing my statement it was a thousand times harder for me, I felt out of place and lonely. Thankfully I talked to my sister who helped me out and put me on track by talking to me about foundation year's for physics if you didn't have the right grades, with the advice and help that she gave me along with the help of some friends, I managed to write my personal statement in around an hour, I gave it to my ref, he gave me a few corrections and I submitted it (a week before the January Deadline lol)

A month and a bit has passed and here I am, with 4 rejections, no clear path for my future and a bundle of problems.

I have quite bad depression which started when I started sixth form, my mum was very unhappy with my results during GCSE's which were 1A 7B's & 1E (in RE lmao) in my book thats pretty good but for my mum thats not good enough, shes really into being an academic and anything that isn't considered academic or not many people do is not that good for her so I was constantly getting harassed by my mum about how I did which pissed me off but at the same time she thought I was cursed and it was not my fault which is really weird and confusing but anytime i questioned her about it she looked at me like i'm a fukin idiot. Apparently in her country this type of stuff is normal but yeah. In this situation I only had my Sister who could help me out but even then it didn't always help cause were also in a bit of a financial struggle and my mum hasn't had a job for a while through no fault of her own which makes her anger and frustration understandable but at the same time it just makes it harder to cope. Now currently it had just affected my overall motivation to work and take part in certain activities, I'm unable to revise as there is a thought at the back of my head that I'm just gonna fail and nothing good will come of this.

My sister has suggested that I go through clearing in the event that I don't get a uni spot but I just have this nagging doubt if i even will get a spot in a uni so i'm here to suggest any tips and advice and anyone else who may be going through the same thing I am.

In the even I don't get a place, I'm gonna have to take a gap year, can anyone suggest any jobs I should go for, not the typical MacDonald's job or restaurant waiter job as I have had my share of disappointments looking for one

Hey!

I had a look at some of the unis that you said you applied for and so far a few of them have said that the entry requirements for foundation still need to include sciency subjects (e.g. Applied Science BTEC), or if you don't have science subjects, you need to have really good a levels in not those. So I think that is the main reason for the rejections so far. Also, I know that foundation years also look a lot into where you're from and what school you go to, so if you go to a school that has a lot of people doing very well and live around there that could be a disadvantage to you for entry to foundation year, as priority is given to people from bad backgrounds

However! If you're really still passionate and interested in physics, I'd suggest taking a year out and getting at least an A level in maths, since that is absolutely essential, as well as physics. You will have an easier time getting onto foundation courses if you do that, and maybe even onto 1st year courses! Also, I would personally take a year out to get some work experience or volunteering or anything like that, since it sounds to me like you don't really know what you want to do at the moment. Uni is expensive and is a big decision! Take all the time you need to decide what you want to do and don't feel like just because you aren't going straight into unit hat is a bad thing, almost all of my friends are taking gap years for work experience and so on!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yh, I've read a lot of stories about people leaving their jobs and making businesses from scratch, its really commendable.

tbh idk what I would be doing in the next 10 or 20 years,preferably a millionaire/billionaire (i know that sounds childish but yh)
    Wouldn't we all

I'm in my 20s now, but when I was your age (god I sound old), I didn't know what to do with my life either. I went to uni at 18, because school expected it and I didn't know what else to do. I dropped out within a year because it was the wrong decision on all fronts. I did temp work for about a year after that, and then reapplied to uni for a course I was really interested in/passionate about.

After that, I worked in a few jobs which I either loved (but didn't pay well) or were paid well but I didn't enjoy. I'm now going back to uni to train to be a teacher, which is something I'm super excited about- but I have plans for 5 years down the line if I don't love this either.

So, basically, it's ok to not know, but it's probably not the best idea to go to uni if you're not sure, because funding is limited and it's a lot of debt these days. I'd encourage you to really think about what you enjoy and look at how you could take that forwards in life- then work back and try to get there.

-If you were a millionaire, what would you do with all your time/money?
    -What do you enjoy doing now?
    -Do you want a job where you work with people every day, or are you happier being on your own?
    -Is money/salary important to you?
    -Where might you want to live in the next 5-10 years?

Also, at 18 this isn't something many people think of, but as you get older, it's true- it's ok to do a job you don't love because it gives you the money to do the things you do love.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good idea though, if you are adamant on going you could apply to somewhere such as Keele through extra. They require 64 Ucas points which you'd have and from what I've heard the foundation year they offer is very good. Then based upon your grades during the FY you could apply to the one's you've mentioned above or stay at Keele that's definatly an option though. But don't feel pressured to go, there's no rush what so ever. would say though to apply to Keele quick as the FY gets filled up fast or look at other unis mid table as you are much more likely to be accepted though make sure it's somewhere you'd be happy to go as it's not a guarantee you can transfer Unis regardless of how well you do.
    I'm going to make a list of uni's to apply for clearing just in case i get another rejection and i don't gen any offers through extra, I'm not gonna get pressured into going to uni, at the end of the day, I'm interested in going but who knows if ill end up there.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nottingham, Loughborough, Leister, Kent & Sussex, all for foundation year physics prob very stupid as i only just realised that they were ranked in the top 30 best uni's but there arent really many other uni's that offer foundation years for physics, a few i avoided because they seemed to be not that great, your probably right about not having the right graded as i did kinda **** up my mocks.
    There are no universities in the world that will give you an offer, because you haven't done a physics AS or an A level, just a gcse. Also you can't be picky on the university you want apply to, because you have nothing to offer (apologies but admissions tutors will see this in you). You're doing a subject which you have almost no experience or knowledge in, show no enthusiasm (in the eyes of the tutor) and have not met the necessary requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlashaRussia)
    Hey!

I had a look at some of the unis that you said you applied for and so far a few of them have said that the entry requirements for foundation still need to include sciency subjects (e.g. Applied Science BTEC), or if you don't have science subjects, you need to have really good a levels in not those. So I think that is the main reason for the rejections so far. Also, I know that foundation years also look a lot into where you're from and what school you go to, so if you go to a school that has a lot of people doing very well and live around there that could be a disadvantage to you for entry to foundation year, as priority is given to people from bad backgrounds

However! If you're really still passionate and interested in physics, I'd suggest taking a year out and getting at least an A level in maths, since that is absolutely essential, as well as physics. You will have an easier time getting onto foundation courses if you do that, and maybe even onto 1st year courses! Also, I would personally take a year out to get some work experience or volunteering or anything like that, since it sounds to me like you don't really know what you want to do at the moment. Uni is expensive and is a big decision! Take all the time you need to decide what you want to do and don't feel like just because you aren't going straight into unit hat is a bad thing, almost all of my friends are taking gap years for work experience and so on!
    I guess, i'm just kinda daunted about having to maybe taking 2 years off for uni instead of the typical 3, maybe im just blowing stuff out of proportions but im full of worries.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to make a list of uni's to apply for clearing just in case i get another rejection and i don't gen any offers through extra, I'm not gonna get pressured into going to uni, at the end of the day, I'm interested in going but who knows if ill end up there.
    That's good, make sure you doing it because you want to and not because you have to or are being forced to. Here's all the Unis that offer a foundation year in physics, 34 in total
    https://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c[q]=physics%20with%20foundation%20y ear

ReputationRep:
    I guess, i'm just kinda daunted about having to maybe taking 2 years off for uni instead of the typical 3, maybe im just blowing stuff out of proportions but im full of worries.
    I get that, I think we all worry about things like that, but I think that if you really are serious about physics, then this will be your only option due to your subjects, and your grades. But this isn't a bad thing at all. Honestly so many people enter uni at different ages and so on, and it won't be as big of a deal as you think! Lots of people will be in a similar situation as you are, so you are definitely not going to be alone in this And anyways, you could get a job and save up money during your gap year or what ever you decide to do and that will be so useful if you start uni :O

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't we all

I'm in my 20s now, but when I was your age (god I sound old), I didn't know what to do with my life either. I went to uni at 18, because school expected it and I didn't know what else to do. I dropped out within a year because it was the wrong decision on all fronts. I did temp work for about a year after that, and then reapplied to uni for a course I was really interested in/passionate about.

After that, I worked in a few jobs which I either loved (but didn't pay well) or were paid well but I didn't enjoy. I'm now going back to uni to train to be a teacher, which is something I'm super excited about- but I have plans for 5 years down the line if I don't love this either.

So, basically, it's ok to not know, but it's probably not the best idea to go to uni if you're not sure, because funding is limited and it's a lot of debt these days. I'd encourage you to really think about what you enjoy and look at how you could take that forwards in life- then work back and try to get there.

-If you were a millionaire, what would you do with all your time/money?
    -What do you enjoy doing now?
    -Do you want a job where you work with people every day, or are you happier being on your own?
    -Is money/salary important to you?
    -Where might you want to live in the next 5-10 years?

Also, at 18 this isn't something many people think of, but as you get older, it's true- it's ok to do a job you don't love because it gives you the money to do the things you do love.
    Im glad you found what you wanted to do, your right I don need to do a lot of thinking before i pull the trigger over whether I should go to uni or not. If i were a millionaire, I would probably invest into businesses so im more rich and never have to worry about money, right now i enjoy being lazy, playing video games, watching anime and animating., I much rather prefer to work with others as a I thin teamwork is a very good thing. I have no idea where I would live, maybe japan Im very into the culture.

ReputationRep:
    That's good, make sure you doing it because you want to and not because you have to or are being forced to. Here's all the Unis that offer a foundation year in physics, 34 in total
    https://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c[q]=physics%20with%20foundation%20y ear
    Thanks, ill look at it later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlashaRussia)
    I get that, I think we all worry about things like that, but I think that if you really are serious about physics, then this will be your only option due to your subjects, and your grades. But this isn't a bad thing at all. Honestly so many people enter uni at different ages and so on, and it won't be as big of a deal as you think! Lots of people will be in a similar situation as you are, so you are definitely not going to be alone in this And anyways, you could get a job and save up money during your gap year or what ever you decide to do and that will be so useful if you start uni :O
    Yh, anything could happen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im glad you found what you wanted to do, your right I don need to do a lot of thinking before i pull the trigger over whether I should go to uni or not. If i were a millionaire, I would probably invest into businesses so im more rich and never have to worry about money, right now i enjoy being lazy, playing video games, watching anime and animating., I much rather prefer to work with others as a I thin teamwork is a very good thing. I have no idea where I would live, maybe japan Im very into the culture.
    There's lots of opportunities to teach English in Japan for a year or two if that's something that might interest you. You don't need a degree but you might need a TEFL qualification.

Have you thought about doing something with animation? You can sometimes get on courses like this based on the strength of your portfolio, rather than your actual qualifications.

As you don't have a 5th decision yet, I think it would be good to take some time to really think about what you might want to do- don't jump at something just because you feel like you "should" do it.

However, it's also ok to make a wrong decision now- you can always fix it later!

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of opportunities to teach English in Japan for a year or two if that's something that might interest you. You don't need a degree but you might need a TEFL qualification.

Have you thought about doing something with animation? You can sometimes get on courses like this based on the strength of your portfolio, rather than your actual qualifications.

As you don't have a 5th decision yet, I think it would be good to take some time to really think about what you might want to do- don't jump at something just because you feel like you "should" do it.

However, it's also ok to make a wrong decision now- you can always fix it later!
    What is a TEFL qualification, would it be worth it to acc know japanease first?

I have thought about doing animation but i rater just do it as a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    There are no universities in the world that will give you an offer, because you haven't done a physics AS or an A level, just a gcse. Also you can't be picky on the university you want apply to, because you have nothing to offer (apologies but admissions tutors will see this in you). You're doing a subject which you have almost no experience or knowledge in, show no enthusiasm (in the eyes of the tutor) and have not met the necessary requirements.
    Incorrect, foundation year...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.