Turn on thread page Beta

Dating a Bi Guy? watch

Announcements

Me and this guy that I used to work with didn't really know each other all that well, when I quit my job he invited me out for dinner and we started chatting. He's bi, I'm a straight female and I've never dated a guy who's bi before, and it takes me by surprise occasionally when he acts a certain way or says particular things, and I'm not sure how to react to them. I was just wondering, if anyone who's had experience in this area felt the same way? It doesn't bother me necessarily, I'm just unsure of how to respond to it sometimes

ReputationRep:
    they like willy thats the difference

(Original post by badmantipster)
    they like willy thats the difference
    Have you ever had a similar experience with someone you've dated though?

ReputationRep:
    are you sure he aint just a homosexual? a lot of homosexuals tend to identitfy as bi as its a lot more easier to come out as that then being a straight up gay. You should know, if he is a bisexual he probably screwing boys while he is with you. bi's tend to be the biggest sluts you will meet in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    are you sure he aint just a homosexual? a lot of homosexuals tend to identitfy as bi as its a lot more easier to come out as that then being a straight up gay. You should know, if he is a bisexual he probably screwing boys while he is with you. bi's tend to be the biggest sluts you will meet in life.
    What a crap thing to say. Either this is just for drama or you are so ignorant you believe this rubbish and try to spread it.

OP ignore him as it is not relevant. There isn't much difference most of the time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He'll be used to biphobic crap like the above..

Do you have some examples of what you're finding surprising?

Well you're making some completely unjustified generalisations and not really helping at all.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?

I've never noticed anything different between dating straight and bi men. But I'm bi as well so maybe I'm missing something. :dontknow:

(Original post by Bio 7)
    What a crap thing to say. Either this is just for drama or you are so ignorant you believe this rubbish and try to spread it.

OP ignore him as it is not relevant. There isn't much difference most of the time.
    People who say these sort of things either tend to be extremely close-minded or just straight up trolls. Not really the sort of person I was hoping to attract when I made this thread looking for advice

(Original post by unprinted)
    He'll be used to biphobic crap like the above..

Do you have some examples of what you're finding surprising?
    I suppose the most recent example was he referred to himself with gay slang? It's still very early days so I'm not expecting much at all at this point, I like him though so it'd be nice if this turned into something, but I'm prepared for it not to. Maybe once we get more comfortable with each other we can have a proper conversation about it. I still don't know him all that well
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah, ok.

I am bisexual and male and not all bi men are like me but...

.. I am not threatened by anyone thinking another man is attractive. I might think they are too. Doesn't mean anything has to happen.

.. I do not want to be inside anyone who does not enthusiastically want that. I've been on the receiving end of someone wanting to carry on when I've had enough and I don't want to be them.

.. I don't assume that everyone in the bed wants the same things at the same time. Or that 'sex' has to involve penetration or a script.

.. I really do not like the misogyny that's a significant part of the gay male scene. And the groping.

.. I am amused and happy to use some of the slang.

(Original post by unprinted)
    Ah, ok.

I am bisexual and male and not all bi men are like me but...

.. I am not threatened by anyone thinking another man is attractive. I might think they are too. Doesn't mean anything has to happen.

.. I do not want to be inside anyone who does not enthusiastically want that. I've been on the receiving end of someone wanting to carry on when I've had enough and I don't want to be them.

.. I don't assume that everyone in the bed wants the same things at the same time. Or that 'sex' has to involve penetration or a script.

.. I really do not like the misogyny that's a significant part of the gay male scene. And the groping.

.. I am amused and happy to use some of the slang.
    That actually really helps me, it's nice to have an insight because I don't feel totally comfortable asking him yet. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Have you ever had a similar experience with someone you've dated though?
    no i have only dated straight women

ReputationRep:
    My bf is bi, and it doesn't bother me one bit. To me it's no different than dating a straight guy.

Me and this guy that I used to work with didn't really know each other all that well, when I quit my job he invited me out for dinner and we started chatting. He's bi, I'm a straight female and I've never dated a guy who's bi before, and it takes me by surprise occasionally when he acts a certain way or says particular things, and I'm not sure how to react to them. I was just wondering, if anyone who's had experience in this area felt the same way? It doesn't bother me necessarily, I'm just unsure of how to respond to it sometimes
    Why would him being bi make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, there it is. That sweet, sweet generalisation.
    are you sure he aint just a homosexual? a lot of homosexuals tend to identitfy as bi as its a lot more easier to come out as that then being a straight up gay. You should know, if he is a bisexualhe probably screwing boys while he is with you. bi's tend to be the biggest sluts you will meet in life.
    Anyway, OP, I would say dating a Bi male is no different to dating any other person. It may be hard at first, but as long as you treat him like any other person, then it should be fine.

Don't listen to people who generalise Bisexuals as people who cheat a lot. It is an old stigma that has been used against them; and usually, this is what breaks relationships between Bisexuals and non-bisexuals because of the lack of trust.

Other than that, I don't really think there's that much of a difference between when dating a bi or straight man

(Original post by Fluffybunneh)
    Ah, there it is. That sweet, sweet generalisation.

Anyway, OP, I would say dating a Bi male is no different to dating any other person. It may be hard at first, but as long as you treat him like any other person, then it should be fine.

Don't listen to people who generalise Bisexuals as people who cheat a lot. It is an old stigma that has been used against them; and usually, this is what breaks relationships between Bisexuals and non-bisexuals because of the lack of trust.

Other than that, I don't really think there's that much of a difference between when dating a bi or straight man
    I'm not worried about him cheating tbh, I understand totally that it's all about the person as a person whether or not they cheat and has nothing to do with sexuality. No you're probably right, there's probably hardly any differences at all, I'm just more aware of them because I've never dated someone who's bi before. But it'll be a new experience, which is good, and I genuinely would like this to go somewhere. I guess we'll see ^_^
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That actually really helps me, it's nice to have an insight because I don't feel totally comfortable asking him yet. Thanks
    No problem The other thought is that I learnt much more about having good sex with women from having sex with men than I ever did from reading sex manuals etc. The acceptance of diversity of desire, the idea of 'my turn, your turn' rather than expecting everything to be 'our turn', the absence of a social script for what 'should' happen...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.