Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can I be the only person who believes that general standards in literacy, numeracy, and general knowledge/education are falling as a result of overreliance on the internet as a means to gaining these without much effort? I recently overheard a university student say to his colleague that "no one studies any more, it's all on the net."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123luciano)
    can I be the only person who believes that general standards in literacy, numeracy, and general knowledge/education are falling as a result of overreliance on the internet as a means to gaining these without much effort? I recently overheard a university student say to his colleague that "no one studies any more, it's all on the net."
    Most politicians and organisations are affiliated to shadowy masonic/marxist organisations like Common Purpose, Demos, Bilderberg which are fanatical about undermining tradition, morality and education in especially the western nations; in reality our elite politicians are satanists. Until anyone addresses the bogeyman in the room (Israel) then our infrastructure and resources will continue to be uprooted lock, stock and barrel to India, China, Russia via Israel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123luciano)
    Since when?
    Because I'm sure the average person in the west today is much smarter than the average western person in the 15th century.
    Sorry for such an exaggerated example, but your query is vague.
    I think if it weren't for the internet people wouldn't have so much access to certain educational resources for free.
    A great example is youtube.

Apologies if I misinterpreted the question.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the problem wth university today is that too many unworthy and uninterested people are going. Back in the day only 10-15% of school leavers went to university and that percentage are still there however the lecture room is overwhelmed by the 85-90% of people who should go away and do something else that they might find interest in. Don’t blame lecturers and your chosen course if you are paying for something that you don’t really want to do. I can always detect the true 10-15% of real university students: they attend all lectures, tutorials and lab sessions, they produce welll written and researched reports, they do well in exams, they are motivated and want to succeed. It’s equally easy to detect the rest.The harsh reality is that to universities students are just a necessary inconvenience. Just a back-side on a seat that must be kept there for three, hopefully four years in order to maximise profit and management pay. When higher education is run by fat blokes in fancy cars you know it’s all over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
    Since when?
    Because I'm sure the average person in the west today is much smarter than the average western person in the 15th century.
    Sorry for such an exaggerated example, but your query is vague.
    I think if it weren't for the internet people wouldn't have so much access to certain educational resources for free.
    A great example is youtube.

Apologies if I misinterpreted the question.
    That's interesting, where is the modern day Leonardo da Vinci? Too much looking and not enough doing these days. YouTube and Wikipedia have a lot to answer for re student standards. Get information from the original source, usually a book, rather than somewhere that has never been peer reviewed. I always give zero marks for report references if Wikipedia or worse Anon is used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.T)
    That's interesting, where is the modern day Leonardo da Vinci? Too much looking and not enough doing these days. YouTube and Wikipedia have a lot to answer for re student standards. Get information from the original source, usually a book, rather than somewhere that has never been peer reviewed. I always give zero marks for report references if Wikipedia or worse Anon is used.
    Well OP is talking about standards.
    And a standard is something that is common or required of people in society.
    There was only one Da Vinci in his times, his intelligence wasn't the standard. People were a lot less informed and intelligent than they are now, and every now and then you'd get an Einstein or Tesla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
    Well OP is talking about standards.
    And a standard is something that is common or required of people in society.
    There was only one Da Vinci in his times, his intelligence wasn't the standard. People were a lot less informed and intelligent than they are now, and every now and then you'd get an Einstein or Tesla.
    I think you will find that there were many geniuses throughout renaissance period, Da Vinci was just one of them. I would totally disagree that people were less informed in the past. I think you could go way back to the ancient Greeks and Persians who were highly cultured and laid the foundations of our knowledge in science and mathematics still in use today. I think its easy to underestimate our ancestors, they survived in conditions that we would find impossible today.
    Standards have without doubt slipped at our university's. Grade inflation is rife and is being pushed by those at the wheel for financial reasons. More firsts = more student satisfaction = more future students = higher fees = bigger bonus.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.