Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

The purpose of this thread is for prospective /current Economics students to connect and share information.

If you have a question yourself or any info to share, reply with:

Subject:
    current/prospective Uni:
    Question/Answer:

To get the ball rolling...

Subject: Economics and Management
    Prospective Uni: St Andrews
    Questions:
    *Haven't studied Econ at GCSE or A-Level, any essential learning/understanding required for course?
    *How to make most of uni in terms of career opportunities and netoworking?
    *What is the work load like?

Feel free to contribute!!

ReputationRep:
    Universities generally start from the basic stuff, so should not be a problem. I would suggest though to do a bit of reading by yourself beforehand, just to be comfortable/familiar with the first few topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nischalp)
    Universities generally start from the basic stuff, so should not be a problem. I would suggest though to do a bit of reading by yourself beforehand, just to be comfortable/familiar with the first few topics.
    I'm currently reading up on Macro/Micro economic principles and a little on econometrics. Do you recommend anything else/Have any useful sources to learn from? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjamin118)
    I'm currently reading up on Macro/Micro economic principles and a little on econometrics. Do you recommend anything else/Have any useful sources to learn from? Thanks in advance!
    You can read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell, it's quite good!

ReputationRep:
    Economics graduate here -

1) I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t studied it before. As others have said, university content tends to start at a beginner level. You will catch up on a level content within a term. Having an A level in mathematics will be advantageous, but if determined you can catch up on that also!
    2) Whilst at uni there will be numerous careers fairs and networking events which you can just turn up to. Most universities also provide career and employability advice/classes which can provide some pretty good guidance.
    3) As with anything, the workload is what you make it. Firstly if you want to achieve highly then you need to put in the work consistently. That being said, if you manage your time efficiently then it will not be too bad!

All the best
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A-level Maths is more important. A-level Economics helps with your intuition when you reach uni, but a lot of people in first semester who've done A-level Econ rely on it too much for their first micro/macro exams and get a lacklustre grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TehLurd)
    Economics graduate here -

1) I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t studied it before. As others have said, university content tends to start at a beginner level. You will catch up on a level content within a term. Having an A level in mathematics will be advantageous, but if determined you can catch up on that also!
    2) Whilst at uni there will be numerous careers fairs and networking events which you can just turn up to. Most universities also provide career and employability advice/classes which can provide some pretty good guidance.
    3) As with anything, the workload is what you make it. Firstly if you want to achieve highly then you need to put in the work consistently. That being said, if you manage your time efficiently then it will not be too bad!

All the best

(Original post by Exceptional)
    A-level Maths is more important. A-level Economics helps with your intuition when you reach uni, but a lot of people in first semester who've done A-level Econ rely on it too much for their first micro/macro exams and get a lacklustre grade.
    Thankyou for the information! Very helpful, some good points for me to think about😊 I'm a little less nervous now because all of my A-Levels were maths(Math, F math, Phys)😁 May need to brush up on essay writing though, I heard there are alot of essays!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for the information! Very helpful, some good points for me to think about😊 I'm a little less nervous now because all of my A-Levels were maths(Math, F math, Phys)😁 May need to brush up on essay writing though, I heard there are alot of essays!
    Honestly you have nothing to worry about! The first term at University is a natural step from A-level which gets everyone on the same page. Your A-levels will be very advantageous for economics. Economics is more about mathematics and getting your point across in a concise manner.

If you wish to, once you get into 2nd -3rd year the optional modules choices should allow you to take a very quantitative path - i.e a lot of statistics, econometrics and financial mathematics.

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The level of essay-writing at a university degree will depend a lot on the course the university offers and the modules you may or may not get to choose. To be honest, if you are able to think logically and argue your points with a developed chain of reasoning you'll have no problems with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEf)
    The level of essay-writing at a university degree will depend a lot on the course the university offers and the modules you may or may not get to choose. To be honest, if you are able to think logically and argue your points with a developed chain of reasoning you'll have no problems with them.
    Thats reassuring thankyou so much!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thats reassuring thankyou so much!
    No worries mate. I'm in my final year of undergrad Econ and Finance so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.