Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would start a discussion for the mature students who plan to start at Aberdeen in September. Thought it would be a nice ice breaker for us mature students to get to know some other mature students before September.

Name: Noor Isolde
    Where are you currently from: County Armagh Northern Ireland
    What course applying for: Anthropology and History
    What are you currently studying: University of Ulster Access to HE: Social Science and Humanities pathway.
    Current offer status: I have a conditional offer from Aberdeen, as well as conditional offers from the University of Dundee and Strathclyde for History and a conditional from University of Glasgow for Economic and Social History and I am waiting for Queens University to get back to me for Anthropology and History. Aberdeen Is my firm choice.
    Concerns or doubts: Accommodation is a concern and getting a part-time job as I've been out of work for a while due to social anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Noor!
    I’ve just accepted Aberdeen as my firm choice so I’m pretty sure I’ll be one of the mature students joining you! Anthropology is a fascinating subject, if I wasn’t going for psych then I’d be looking at that! Also, I’ve got a some friends with social anxiety issues, if you need someone to talk to then I’ve got you

Name: Darren Collison
    Course: Psychology
    Access to HE: Science at the KCC
    Offer: Conditional Firm Acceptance
    Concerns or doubts: Weather is a big one but I’m sure it’ll be easy to get used to. I’m looking forward to exploring the woodland areas and going on long bike rides both of which can be done in sun or pouring rain!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Darren

Great to hear from you. One of my modules on my access course is Psychology and it's been very interesting. One thing I love about Aberdeen is the fact that I can pick my optional modules (timetable permitting) in my first year so I can go outside of my subject area and try things like a Language or English. I've already got accommodation sorted and as far as my social anxiety is concerned I'm gaining more control over it every day, but I will take you up on your offer of a chat if ever I need an ear to bend. As for that weather I'm warm when its freezing cold and I'm warm when its warm so it wont bother me any.

ReputationRep:
    Noor, how long have you been waiting for Queens to get back to you? I've applied since early March and I haven't heard from them still. I'm afraid my professors haven't even been asked to send a reference. And they haven't answered my email yet although I know they reply asap. A bit worried here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Este___)
    Noor, how long have you been waiting for Queens to get back to you? I've applied since early March and I haven't heard from them still. I'm afraid my professors haven't even been asked to send a reference. And they haven't answered my email yet although I know they reply asap. A bit worried here.
    I applied mid December, one of my tutors said Queens can take their time when it come to making a decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noor-isolde)
    I applied mid December, one of my tutors said Queens can take their time when it come to making a decision.
    Oh my, that's a lot of months. Thanks

(Original post by Edward D)
    Hi Noor!
    I’ve just accepted Aberdeen as my firm choice so I’m pretty sure I’ll be one of the mature students joining you! Anthropology is a fascinating subject, if I wasn’t going for psych then I’d be looking at that! Also, I’ve got a some friends with social anxiety issues, if you need someone to talk to then I’ve got you

Name: Darren Collison
    Course: Psychology
    Access to HE: Science at the KCC
    Offer: Conditional Firm Acceptance
    Concerns or doubts: Weather is a big one but I’m sure it’ll be easy to get used to. I’m looking forward to exploring the woodland areas and going on long bike rides both of which can be done in sun or pouring rain!
    If you need company while exploring, feel free to message me! I guess I'll probably accept Aberdeen s offer, so yeah it's a dream to see those areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noor-isolde)
    Hi, Darren

Great to hear from you. One of my modules on my access course is Psychology and it's been very interesting. One thing I love about Aberdeen is the fact that I can pick my optional modules (timetable permitting) in my first year so I can go outside of my subject area and try things like a Language or English. I've already got accommodation sorted and as far as my social anxiety is concerned I'm gaining more control over it every day, but I will take you up on your offer of a chat if ever I need an ear to bend. As for that weather I'm warm when its freezing cold and I'm warm when its warm so it wont bother me any.
    Yeah I’m hoping to add a language to my schedule too. I’m still waiting to get my student ID for my accommodation, how did you decide which one to go for? I think I’m really going to struggle with that sort of decision haha and glad to hear it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edward D)
    Yeah I’m hoping to add a language to my schedule too. I’m still waiting to get my student ID for my accommodation, how did you decide which one to go for? I think I’m really going to struggle with that sort of decision haha and glad to hear it
    Did a lot of searching online then saw Ardmuir (Trinity Court) student accommodation. It's a short walk to the university and on a main bus route to city centre. There's three to a flat, downside is a shared bathroom, upside the flat comes with a dishwasher and a washing machine. It's not the cheapest but not the most expensive I've seen so I threw down a deposit for September.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of accommodation, I know there are a few around Aberdeen Uni. I am a local person. You have Causeway between AU and the Centre of Aberdeen. There is Kings Hall but I am not sure if it PGs? There are also King's exchange which is slap bang beside campus. There are also a couple of Hunter Construction halls on site: http://www.hunteraccommodation.co.uk/ they are located near the Taylor building, so they're on campus. There is Spring Gardens which is beside the college and is about a 20 minute walk from campus. Fire exchange unite and there are a couple other private halls. https://www.ardmuir.co.uk/aberdeen/ Although for the Unite halls, there could be RGU (the other uni in Aberdeen, where I am at), and NESCOL students. Aberdeen Uni are likely going to place you at Hillhead which is often a bus ride on the number 20. For a weekly pass for first bus, you are looking at £12. First student day is £3.50. Aberdeen student flats for continuing students are expensive due to the oil factor in Aberdeen.

In terms of weather, Aberdeen can have four seasons in one day. I must warn you, when it snows, this year we haven't had the snow as bad down south) Aberdeen City Council don't do all the pavements.

Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.