Turn on thread page Beta

How students resist with a huge debt on their had? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    UC Berkley is just over $14k a year (in-state). However, the competition for top places in the US is insane, and includes school grades and extracuricular activites. A Masters is 6 years and includes a broader range of subjects (at almost all US universities)

The UK system is competitive, but (typically) only on academic merit in subjects relevant to the degree. A Masters is 4 years and doesn't include other subjects.

My son is at Imperial (£28k per year - Oxbridge is ~£30k). It's a far better university that he would have got into in the US, as he doesn't have pages of extracuricular activities, or a Nobel prize. It costs a lot more than a University of California would, but a little less than Stanford (very close to us) / Harvard etc.

It depends, like you said.
    Yale for example cost $70,570 a year, https://finaid.yale.edu/costs-affordability/costs.
    I don't know which is the average price, and how much important is to pick a university that have a great position in rankings.

I know very well the fact that in the US also non-academic activities are important, and I think that all the universities should always take in consideration this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    I know very well the fact that in the US also non-academic activities are important, and I think that all the universities should always take in consideration this.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Why?
    Because sometimes volunteering activities can show the interest of a person in a particular subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    These are not very free market countries. Capitalism isn't necessarily the same as free market or small government.
    Yes, you're right.
    Anyway, I always thought that capitalism is the best way to organize the society, but it seems that those countries are doing very well, without a full free market organization.

(Original post by ajj2000)
    In state tuition fees (meaning you study at a state university in a state where you can prove residence are far less - maybe 20k a year. Also people study at community colleges for the first 2 years (these are far cheaper) and then transfer. Many of the more expensive schools give lots of scholarships - Harvard for example is free for low income families. Also American salaries for skilled people can be far higher than most places in Europe - particularly in fields like IT and medicine.
    Yes, they definitely are, but considering the cost of living, I don't know what to say.

Anyway I noticed that about Harvard.
    What about others US universities?
    There are others that are free for low income families?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Because sometimes volunteering activities can show the interest of a person in a particular subject.
    Perhaps. However, in the US, you're expected to do extra curricular activities that are unrelated to what you want to study, e.g. demonstrate leadership. They expect schools to only produce 'leaders'!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.