The Student Room Group

How students resist with a huge debt on their had?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WiSi
I know very well the fact that in the US also non-academic activities are important, and I think that all the universities should always take in consideration this.

Why?
Reply 21
Original post by RogerOxon
Why?

Because sometimes volunteering activities can show the interest of a person in a particular subject.
Reply 22
Original post by ajj2000
These are not very free market countries. Capitalism isn't necessarily the same as free market or small government.

Yes, you're right.
Anyway, I always thought that capitalism is the best way to organize the society, but it seems that those countries are doing very well, without a full free market organization.

Original post by ajj2000

In state tuition fees (meaning you study at a state university in a state where you can prove residence are far less - maybe 20k a year. Also people study at community colleges for the first 2 years (these are far cheaper) and then transfer. Many of the more expensive schools give lots of scholarships - Harvard for example is free for low income families. Also American salaries for skilled people can be far higher than most places in Europe - particularly in fields like IT and medicine.

Yes, they definitely are, but considering the cost of living, I don't know what to say.

Anyway I noticed that about Harvard.
What about others US universities?
There are others that are free for low income families?
Original post by WiSi
Because sometimes volunteering activities can show the interest of a person in a particular subject.

Perhaps. However, in the US, you're expected to do extra curricular activities that are unrelated to what you want to study, e.g. demonstrate leadership. They expect schools to only produce 'leaders'!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest