Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    If I start 1 year MSc. in September 2018, does it make any difference in getting a gov.uk postgraduate loan in the summer, if I stay self-employed right up till start in September (assuming my lowish earnings wouldn't be a problem) ? Would I be more likely to get the loan if I was on income JSA in the summer?
    Cheers.
    MB
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Hamstalot)
    Hi,
    If I start 1 year MSc. in September 2018, does it make any difference in getting a gov.uk postgraduate loan in the summer, if I stay self-employed right up till start in September (assuming my lowish earnings wouldn't be a problem) ? Would I be more likely to get the loan if I was on income JSA in the summer?
    Cheers.
    MB
    I dont believe they do any sort of income verification. You are either eligible or not. You can stay self employed through your course.

https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Hamstalot)
    Hi,
    Cheers.
    MB
    Hi there,

The Postgraduate loan is not means tested. Right now, the loan entitles you to any amount up to £10,609. You can take as much or as little of that £10,609 as you want regardless of other income.

However, a point worth remembering is that the DWP may take your postgraduate loan into account when calculating any benefits you receive - it is paid directly to you, so it counts as 'income' in that sense.

Hope this helps!

Fred - UEA PG Rep

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.