Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am looking online at how much people are struggling to do the PGCE. I have a son who will be 18 Months when I start the training.

The end question is do you think I should wait until he is older? I do procrastinate at times but I have been quite good with completing my assignments on time this year and getting some decent grades. I’m a little torn as I don’t want to get in too deep too quickly but I also feel like I just want to get on with it!

Help please!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bee1011)
    Hi, I am looking online at how much people are struggling to do the PGCE. I have a son who will be 18 Months when I start the training.

The end question is do you think I should wait until he is older? I do procrastinate at times but I have been quite good with completing my assignments on time this year and getting some decent grades. I’m a little torn as I don’t want to get in too deep too quickly but I also feel like I just want to get on with it!

Help please!
    I'm not a parent, so feel free to take this with a pinch of salt.

I think now would be a good time to do your PGCE as long as you have decent childcare and some support. It is a very intense year, as you have to do placements in school, plus complete masters level assignments, and when you are in uni it's usually 9-5 or 9-3.

However, if you have good childcare, you should be able to get to placements and you can always do planning etc once he is asleep.

The reason I say to do it now would be that I think things will get harder once your son is school age. Settling into reception is a tricky time (as I'm sure you know) and childcare may be less available, and you may want to go to school events etc. So by this time, I would say you would want to be established in a school with the option to go part time, then build up back to full time as your son gets older.

It is an option to do a PGCE part time at some training providers if this is an option you'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a partner who can help out? I am not sure I could have done it with an 18 month old. My kids were 3 and 6 when I started my teacher training. Essays are the least of your worries. You work a full day's work and usually have to be in school for 8am. Your placement could be up to 90 minutes commute away depending on where and how you apply. You then teach your lessons, but you also need to plan each lesson in great detail. You also have collect evidence for your file as well as reflect on your lessons (again depending on the course). Then on top of all that, you have to do essays as well. I found it really brutal, coming home from school, picking kids up from nursery / school, cooking, bed times and then back to work to prep for the next day.

The only other thing is that schools are not that flexible about childcare. In my school, the impression I get is that you are in school and everything else revolves around that. If my wife hadn't been able to cover my kid's school snow day I am not sure what I would have done. That said, we now have cover for school holidays.

It is swings and roundabouts.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I start in Sept, I will have a nearly 5yr old starting reception, and a nearly 9yr old.
    I don’t think I would be able to cope with the course if they were not at school age.

My children’s school has a breakfast club & an after school club, which is important and personally (from experience!) more reliable than a childminder. Although I guess a nursery would be reliable too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bee1011)

Help please!
    If you have support in place, that can look after him whilst you are studying, go for it. Also, have you looked into the OU? I'm not sure if they offer the PGCE, but it might be a useful alternative if you're trying to juggle childcare and studying.

Good luck for it all - remember that you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies. Well one option for me would be to do it through schools direct which would be in an area close to home. Also I would have to have a childminder for childcare. My child’s father would potentially be moving a little further away so I’m not sure if he’d be available for drop offs and pick ups but he would support me over the weekends so I can catch up with work and assignments.

Mainly worried about the work load and not being able to spend my time with my son during the week.

ReputationRep:
    I’m hoping to apply to start next September and by that time by kids will be 7 and 10.
    I don’t think there is any best time as it’s going to be hard no matter what! I guess there are pros and cons, but it depends on your situation, when they are smaller they can go to nursery or a childminder for the day and they don’t have to and fro back to school and home if that makes sense.
    Personally I wanted to wait till mine were older, especially my youngest who took a while to settle into school and it means I’ve been around constantly for their early years.
    But there is no right time, you’ve got to assess whether it’s doable in your current situation.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.