Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would have done better on my resubmission of my essay but it still wasn't enough to pass and it doesn't mention anything else to do it again? Will I still be able to pass my first year ????? I really don't know if I can
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by haleeb)
    I thought I would have done better on my resubmission of my essay but it still wasn't enough to pass and it doesn't mention anything else to do it again? Will I still be able to pass my first year ????? I really don't know if I can
    It is just an essay? It is up to them, but go and see a student advisor in the SU to explain your options. It might be they allow you one further chance to resubmit over the Summer or they may not and ask you to redo the course.

The reps for Jallam are helpful so state which course it is (in private when hey respond if you dont wish to say) and maybe they cna check for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It is just an essay? It is up to them, but go and see a student advisor in the SU to explain your options. It might be they allow you one further chance to resubmit over the Summer or they may not and ask you to redo the course.

The reps for Jallam are helpful so state which course it is (in private when hey respond if you dont wish to say) and maybe they cna check for you?

Could I not email a student advisor? I don't know any or where to locate any contact info
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/stu.../advice-centre

Theres a list of student support officers here.

You really need to talk to someone over the phone or face to face.
    I expect they are only going to tell you that you have to wait for the department decisions an that if you had extenuating circumstances, then to submit a claim.

or

Could I not email a student advisor? I don't know any or where to locate any contact info
    SU building

ReputationRep:
    You really need to talk to someone over the phone or face to face.
    You're forgetting that 99.99% of TSR users are far too terrified to call somebody on the incredibly scary phone or speak to someone on an incredibly scary reception desk, especially when it's extremely important.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You're forgetting that 99.99% of TSR users are far too terrified to call somebody on the incredibly scary phone or speak to someone on an incredibly scary reception desk, especially when it's extremely important.
    Not really forgetting, but in these circumstances e-mail is going to be the least effective form of communication and speed is of the essence. I will be surprised if the answer will be anything more than what I have said and it is up to the department.

Oh i see your point now. In this case they might be scared, but considering its importance they need t speak to someone .
    Besides e-mail being slow, there is no guarantee the P is reliable enough to give all relevant information and a face to face meeting is easier to get to the bottom of the things and get further issues dealt with quickly.

I can only give them the correct (as far as I know) advice and up to them whether they have enough sense to follow it. Nothing is happening till Monday anyway, whereas they could have spoken to someone yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Not really forgetting, but in these circumstances e-mail is going to be the least effective form of communication and speed is of the essence. I will be surprised if the answer will be anything more than what I have said and it is up to the department.

Oh i see your point now. In this case they might be scared, but considering its importance they need t speak to someone .
    Besides e-mail being slow, there is no guarantee the P is reliable enough to give all relevant information and a face to face meeting is easier to get to the bottom of the things and get further issues dealt with quickly.

I can only give them the correct (as far as I know) advice and up to them whether they have enough sense to follow it. Nothing is happening till Monday anyway, whereas they could have spoken to someone yesterday.

I called yesterday but I was just sent to voicemail and I left a message
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I called yesterday but I was just sent to voicemail and I left a message
    Called where? At what time? You have to use some initiative and perseverance.

It is likely you will be called to a meeting where they will go through your options

https://students.shu.ac.uk/shuspacec...ts-progression

What if I have failed a module?

A fail can be due to:
    • not meeting the minimum overall pass criteria for the module after taking your referral
    • not making a valid attempt at all assessment tasks after taking your referral
    • academic misconduct

You will be able to retake the module on one occasion only and will be contacted by your Student Services team*. For more information please refer to regulations 5, 8 and 9 of the Standard Assessment Regulations.
    You will be able to progress from one level to the next carrying up to 20 credits of failure. If you have failed more than 20 credits you will be unable to progress to the next level of study. For more information relating to progression rules please refer to regulation 7 of the Standard Assessment Regulations.
    * Unless there are Professional, Regulatory or Statutory Body requirements which prevent this. Exemptions from Standard Assessment Regulations will be stated in your course documentation.
    If you fail a core module after retaking
    If you fail a module twice you will not be able to continue on your course. You will have to withdraw or investigate if it is possible to transfer to a different course. Leaving higher education before completing your intended qualification can seem like a real set back, but it is important to remember that there can be many routes to getting a job or qualification and many other ways to meet people and gain valuable life experience. You might want to consider other positive alternatives to higher education, such as employment, training or apprenticeships. Or you might want to explore your options for continuing to study at another university, either now or at a later date.

Who can I talk to about my results?
    If you have any queries regarding your overall results or module results, please contact your Student Services Team:

I’ve been asked to attend a progression meeting with my faculty - what will this involve?
    You will be contacted by your Student Services team, usually by email, with the date and time of your meeting.
    At the meeting your Faculty Student Support Officer will talk to you about your options around remaining on your course, retaking modules or transferring to another course within your faculty.
    Your Student Services team will be able to provide more information regarding progression appointments. Check your Virtual Helpdesk for contact details.

ReputationRep:

Besides e-mail being slow, there is no guarantee the P is reliable enough to give all relevant information and a face to face meeting is easier to get to the bottom of the things and get further issues dealt with quickly.r

I waa being sarcaatic, I love using the phone and speaking to people in real life to get things done, though most people on here couldn't possibly do that. I agree with everything you said.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 28 Oct '18
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.