How is Ed Sheeran the most influential artist in UK?

Watch this thread
JoshIsTheFalco
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
People who I talk to tell me he is the most influential artist in UK but to me that is non other than the Beatles and Queen as they are the most recognizably known bands along with bands and singers such as ELO, Depeche Mode, Human League, AC/DC. Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie and Pet Shop Boys.

What are you opinions? Do you agree or disagree? I disagree with this sentiment as he is not the only influential artist.
uberteknik
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoshIsTheFalco)
People who I talk to tell me he is the most influential artist in UK but to me that is non other than the Beatles and Queen as they are the most recognizably known bands along with bands and singers such as ELO, Depeche Mode, Human League, AC/DC. Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie and Pet Shop Boys.

What are you opinions? Do you agree or disagree? I disagree with this sentiment as he is not the only influential artist.
Who the hell is Ed Sheeran?
JoshIsTheFalco
Rep:
(Original post by uberteknik)
Who the hell is Ed Sheeran?
This guy:

https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-p...n.jpg?w968h681
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think Ed Sheeran is vastly vastly overrated. His songs seem lazy, poor lyrics, not an outstanding singer, dull live. Basically built an entire career on being an affable ginger bloke with good marketing so chavs can think they’re being “indie” by listening to him.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
#GingerLivesMatter
SMEGGGY
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Very overated but in this age he has influence, the others you mention were and not so now
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
ACDC are Australian (nominally, anyway).
fallen_acorns
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
He is influential now, but he won't be in the grand scheme of things. When we look back on music decades later, you can work out a pretty good rule for who will be remembered:

1, they must have wide spread popularity and appeal, across age ranges and social boundaries
2, they must offer something new, or change an existing formula, or revolutionize a genre of music in some way.

If an artist conforms to both, there is a very good chance that they will go down as one of the most important musicians of X century.. If an artist conforms to one or the other, but not both, the chances are that they will be remembered within the sub-groups who like that type of music, but not widely.

I would say, Edd has number 1 covered, but he is no where close to number 2.
username3786078
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
He's no Jeff Buckley, that's for sure.
JoshIsTheFalco
Rep:
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
He is influential now, but he won't be in the grand scheme of things. When we look back on music decades later, you can work out a pretty good rule for who will be remembered:

1, they must have wide spread popularity and appeal, across age ranges and social boundaries
2, they must offer something new, or change an existing formula, or revolutionize a genre of music in some way.

If an artist conforms to both, there is a very good chance that they will go down as one of the most important musicians of X century.. If an artist conforms to one or the other, but not both, the chances are that they will be remembered within the sub-groups who like that type of music, but not widely.

I would say, Edd has number 1 covered, but he is no where close to number 2.
Queen are still influential even today, Pet Shop Boys are, Elton John is and the best example had he have still been alive today, David Bowie. Adam Lambert is known now because of his collaboration with Queen.
uberteknik
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Sometimes you gotta read past the literal to interpret the sarcastic.

Spoiler:
Show

But thanks anyway.
username3016746
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Big man Shaq is waaaay better and more influential
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Maybe he is? Influential isn't the same thing as good.

Here's a thought - in thirty years time when you're middle aged, when the retro stations you'll all be listening to are going to be playing the biggest hits of the 2010s... will it be solid Sheeran and Sheeran soundalikes. Maybe then you'll look in the mirror and say 'my god, what were we all thinking?'
sundae
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ed Sheeran is garbage soz
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
i actually sit down at parties when ed sheeran plays

call me salty, his music (lyrics, vocals, everything) annoys the **** out of me
math42
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ed Sheeran is the blandest bland that ever did bland.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Who would you rather have, Tim Westwood?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago

Maybe people you talk to dont know what they are talking about or have a different idea of influential. He is the current best selling artist, but that doesnt make him the most influential. I doubt they mena of all time either because that would be clearly wrong.
flaurie
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Moved to the music forum
PersonR12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

My opinion is that I don't care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads