Turn on thread page Beta

How is Ed Sheeran the most influential artist in UK? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    People who I talk to tell me he is the most influential artist in UK but to me that is non other than the Beatles and Queen as they are the most recognizably known bands along with bands and singers such as ELO, Depeche Mode, Human League, AC/DC. Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie and Pet Shop Boys.

What are you opinions? Do you agree or disagree? I disagree with this sentiment as he is not the only influential artist.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JoshIsTheFalco)
    People who I talk to tell me he is the most influential artist in UK but to me that is non other than the Beatles and Queen as they are the most recognizably known bands along with bands and singers such as ELO, Depeche Mode, Human League, AC/DC. Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie and Pet Shop Boys.

What are you opinions? Do you agree or disagree? I disagree with this sentiment as he is not the only influential artist.
    Who the hell is Ed Sheeran?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    This guy:

https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-p...n.jpg?w968h681

ReputationRep:
    I think Ed Sheeran is vastly vastly overrated. His songs seem lazy, poor lyrics, not an outstanding singer, dull live. Basically built an entire career on being an affable ginger bloke with good marketing so chavs can think they’re being “indie” by listening to him.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    #GingerLivesMatter
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Very overated but in this age he has influence, the others you mention were and not so now
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ACDC are Australian (nominally, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    He is influential now, but he won't be in the grand scheme of things. When we look back on music decades later, you can work out a pretty good rule for who will be remembered:

1, they must have wide spread popularity and appeal, across age ranges and social boundaries
    2, they must offer something new, or change an existing formula, or revolutionize a genre of music in some way.

If an artist conforms to both, there is a very good chance that they will go down as one of the most important musicians of X century.. If an artist conforms to one or the other, but not both, the chances are that they will be remembered within the sub-groups who like that type of music, but not widely.

I would say, Edd has number 1 covered, but he is no where close to number 2.

ReputationRep:
    He's no Jeff Buckley, that's for sure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cause he’s a ginger soul stealing ass kissing fire breathing dragon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    He is influential now, but he won't be in the grand scheme of things. When we look back on music decades later, you can work out a pretty good rule for who will be remembered:

1, they must have wide spread popularity and appeal, across age ranges and social boundaries
    2, they must offer something new, or change an existing formula, or revolutionize a genre of music in some way.

If an artist conforms to both, there is a very good chance that they will go down as one of the most important musicians of X century.. If an artist conforms to one or the other, but not both, the chances are that they will be remembered within the sub-groups who like that type of music, but not widely.

I would say, Edd has number 1 covered, but he is no where close to number 2.
    Queen are still influential even today, Pet Shop Boys are, Elton John is and the best example had he have still been alive today, David Bowie. Adam Lambert is known now because of his collaboration with Queen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Sometimes you gotta read past the literal to interpret the sarcastic.

Spoiler:
    Show

But thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Big man Shaq is waaaay better and more influential

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he is? Influential isn't the same thing as good.

Here's a thought - in thirty years time when you're middle aged, when the retro stations you'll all be listening to are going to be playing the biggest hits of the 2010s... will it be solid Sheeran and Sheeran soundalikes. Maybe then you'll look in the mirror and say 'my god, what were we all thinking?'

ReputationRep:
    Ed Sheeran is garbage soz

ReputationRep:
    i actually sit down at parties when ed sheeran plays

call me salty, his music (lyrics, vocals, everything) annoys the **** out of me

ReputationRep:
    Ed Sheeran is the blandest bland that ever did bland.

ReputationRep:
    Who would you rather have, Tim Westwood?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JoshIsTheFalco)

Maybe people you talk to dont know what they are talking about or have a different idea of influential. He is the current best selling artist, but that doesnt make him the most influential. I doubt they mena of all time either because that would be clearly wrong.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.