How is Ed Sheeran the most influential artist in UK? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to the music forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshIsTheFalco)
    People who I talk to tell me he is the most influential artist in UK but to me that is non other than the Beatles and Queen as they are the most recognizably known bands along with bands and singers such as ELO, Depeche Mode, Human League, AC/DC. Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie and Pet Shop Boys.

What are you opinions? Do you agree or disagree? I disagree with this sentiment as he is not the only influential artist.
    My opinion is that I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshIsTheFalco)
    People who I talk to tell me he is the most influential artist in UK but to me that is non other than the Beatles and Queen as they are the most recognizably known bands along with bands and singers such as ELO, Depeche Mode, Human League, AC/DC. Elton John, George Michael, David Bowie and Pet Shop Boys.

What are you opinions? Do you agree or disagree? I disagree with this sentiment as he is not the only influential artist.
    He is today. All those artists you listed were from years ago and yes they were very influential but back then we didn't have mainstream media the way we do now. People who are big now including musicians, actors, athletes even youtubers have such a great platform to communicate with others through the media and social media and people can relate to them and experience more of them than just seeing them on stage or in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    People really go to lengths to express their disgust at popular music, like have you considered that people have different tastes in music and you don’t need to patronise people for liking something you don’t? It’s irritating when people go “oh this person is nothing compared to the beatles” so? I can’t enjoy a cheesy repetitive love song once and a while? Songs are literally 3 minutes can you not be a buzz kill for 3 minutes and just have fun and dance with your friends to music from this century ty.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Cause he’s a ginger soul stealing ass kissing fire breathing dragon
    For sure! I'm still in love with his song 'perfect'
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    For sure! I'm still in love with his song 'perfect'
    Just for you:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Just for you:

Omg,you totally ruined it for me now
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Up and coming artists have no interest in those artists and bands you speak of. Every wannabe young lad on these talent shows or social media try to copy Ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    People really go to lengths to express their disgust at popular music, like have you considered that people have different tastes in music and you don’t need to pa8tronise people for liking something you don’t? It’s irritating when people go “oh this person is nothing compared to the beatles” so? I can’t enjoy a cheesy repetitive love song once and a while? Songs are literally 3 minutes can you not be a buzz kill for 3 minutes and just have fun and dance with your friends to music from this century ty.
    The amusing thing about your example of The Beatles is that their earlier stuff is almost exclusively made up of 3 minute cheesy repetitive love songs.

ReputationRep:
    These artists actually are still relevant. Music would not have been as it is now without them. They will be always be remembered and relevant even in 100 years or on. Bruno Mars cities Prince and Michael Jackson as his influences in his music style and many young aspiring artists still audition with or sample old music to make something new. These artists among many will be a generation which the millennias yourselves will maybe not know by name or year but if you hear their songs and you like some hate some or both. Those songs you hear again in your lifes and your kids and grandkids will always hear one of these bands or artists songs and will potentially like it or not. My point being these artists will continue to always be influential and inspiring for generations to come. Feel free to disagree but it's a fact.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.