Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone mark my work and tell me if this is a grade 7/8 standard and what I can improve on ?

In the extract lady macbeth is presented as a powerful woman in the sense that she is not what she appears to be - ‘that my keen knife see not the wounds it makes’ broadly suggests lady macbeth does not want her evil doings to be seen by the people as it will result in her persona being tarnished. The phrase ‘keen knife’ evokes the knife being ‘sharp’ in order to kill king Duncan, however it alternatively suggests the knife is ‘eager’ in which case the writer uses personification to give the knife life like abilities. The idea that the knife is eager further provokes the theme of the supernatural as though the knife has a mind of its own and he spirits lady macbeth has called on are responding and communicating through inanimate objects. Contextually, witches and supernatural forces were seen as true during the jackobean era as the people were extremely superstitious and would drown anyone thought to be a ‘witch’. Shakespeare used the unnatural to spike fear in the audience at the time to prove to them the outcomes of associating or trusting evil spirits were unfortunate (referring to lady macbeth and Macbeth’s tragic deaths later on in the play).

If I continue at this quality would I get close to full marks ?

ReputationRep:
    I would say try to embed the first quote but the rest looks brill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dixonsaa)
    can someone mark my work and tell me if this is a grade 7/8 standard and what I can improve on ?

In the extract lady macbeth is presented as a powerful woman in the sense that she is not what she appears to be - ‘that my keen knife see not the wounds it makes’ broadly suggests lady macbeth does not want her evil doings to be seen by the people as it will result in her persona being tarnished. The phrase ‘keen knife’ evokes the knife being ‘sharp’ in order to kill king Duncan, however it alternatively suggests the knife is ‘eager’ in which case the writer uses personification to give the knife life like abilities. The idea that the knife is eager further provokes the theme of the supernatural as though the knife has a mind of its own and he spirits lady macbeth has called on are responding and communicating through inanimate objects. Contextually, witches and supernatural forces were seen as true during the jackobean era as the people were extremely superstitious and would drown anyone thought to be a ‘witch’. Shakespeare used the unnatural to spike fear in the audience at the time to prove to them the outcomes of associating or trusting evil spirits were unfortunate (referring to lady macbeth and Macbeth’s tragic deaths later on in the play).

If I continue at this quality would I get close to full marks ?
    Make your point at the beginning clearer & embedd the quote more naturally.
    You have a great explanation & zooming and you link to wider themes & the context well. Your teacher will also like the reference to effect on audience.
    I don’t think I covered as much in a paragraph in my English GCSE last year, but still managed to get an 8, so I’d say you’re in the top couple bands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koala789)
    Make your point at the beginning clearer & embedd the quote more naturally.
    You have a great explanation & zooming and you link to wider themes & the context well. Your teacher will also like the reference to effect on audience.
    I don’t think I covered as much in a paragraph in my English GCSE last year, but still managed to get an 8, so I’d say you’re in the top couple bands.
    thank you !! That’s very helpful
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.