Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I’m a year nine student who is achieving level 7 (AQA) in English Lit. Therefore, I am working at the top end of the level of analysis we learn in class, so I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on how to improve my grade further. (I hope that didn’t sound cocky, sorry if it did.)

ReputationRep:
    I got an 8 in English Literature (only 2 marks of a 9- damn!) my best advice is to make sure you know your texts really well, memorise the key themes for poems and the books your studying. Also, the biggest tip for getting top marks in English is to be really perceptive and original, think outside the box rather than writing down what everybody is saying. In order to be more perceptive do wider reading and look at top grade example work and then adapt their style into your work.

Hope that helped, message me for more tips and advice

ReputationRep:
    I got a 9 in both Literature and Language. I recommend watching Mr Bruff on Youtube: he gives great examples and techniques for grade nine analysis!

I was often told the highest grades will go to answers with a fresh perspective: firstly think of the basic answers, then forget them and think about out of the box answers that people wouldn't think of straight away.

Layered analysis is really rated by examiners; give different developed answers as to what something could mean from different view points.

Hope this helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.