Turn on thread page Beta

if I get all the grades necessary, does one of my five uni choices have to accept me. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Erm

You put a somewhat convincing case as to why the law should change to guarantee you an offer

But that isn't the status quo

You'll probably get an offer anyway if you keep your choices reasonable
    What do you mean keep your choices reasonable?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    My friend said that if you don't get the grades they may reject you, but say if you work your ass off and get top grades or the grades necessary, isn't it the law that one of those five universities of your choice have to accept you.

Or can they all say no even though you've worked your ass off.

Thank you in advance
    There is no law saying that any university HAS to accept any student. It's theoretically possible that you could be rejected from all 5, yes. Just, unlikely I've you've achieved the grades they've asked for.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Efron think of it like this...
    Cambridge has about 3,500 places per year and their typical offer is A*AA-A*A*A.
    Consider that in total in England approx 13,000 students achieve A*A*A or better at A-level every year.
    If they all applied with those grades achieved Camrbidge physically doesn't have room for them all.

So no, it's not the "law" that it must accept them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    What do you mean keep your choices reasonable?
    Apply to universities whose entry requirements you meet. So, for instance, if they ask for a certain number of credits and distinctions from your access course, make sure that you have them.

My point is ultimately that, since you can't rely on UCAS or the government to coerce a university into accepting you, you have to get an offer through the merits of your application.

What universities are you thinking of applying to for law?

ReputationRep:
    No such this as a law making Unis give places to people just because they got the grades. If you apply and already achieved the specific grades, they have every right to reject you if your eg. Personal statment sucks.
    Grades aren’t the only thing that get you a place at a uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Apply to universities whose entry requirements you meet. So, for instance, if they ask for a certain number of credits and distinctions from your access course, make sure that you have them.

My point is ultimately that, since you can't rely on UCAS or the government to coerce a university into accepting you, you have to get an offer through the merits of your application.

What universities are you thinking of applying to for law?
    Well If I get a distinction in this access course, and wait for 2019 entry, I may apply for Oxford, Warwick University, King's college, UCL or university of Westminster.

After my course finishes on August, I may then do A level English and drama in September and get a conditional offer alongside my already done access course for 2019 entry, seeing if my A levels finish before September 2019, I'm 20 years old by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    Well If I get a distinction in this access course, and wait for 2019 entry, I may apply for Oxford, Warwick University, King's college, UCL or university of Westminster.

After my course finishes on August, I may then do A level English and drama and get a conditional offer alongside my already done access course.
    Yeah... the first four may be a bit ambitious... but try a couple of them and see how it goes.

Don't overestimate the difficulty of getting a Distinction in an access course. It's not as hard as getting a Distinction/First in an actual degree. I'd pick a wider range of universities.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    No I'm doing a six month intensive access course in law,
    It finishes in August I'll then apply for university in 2019 entry, I'm not sure how I can go this year.
    The other option is to apply now to universities that still have places (presumably you are applying for law?) with predicted grades.

You have missed the standard deadline but many universities will still be accepting applications. You can use UCAS Search and filter to "Show courses with vacancies"

e.g.
    https://digital.ucas.com/search/resu...cation_England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Efron think of it like this...
    Cambridge has about 3,500 places per year and their typical offer is A*AA-A*A*A.
    Consider that in total in England approx 13,000 students achieve A*A*A or better at A-level every year.
    If they all applied with those grades achieved Camrbidge physically doesn't have room for them all.

So no, it's not the "law" that it must accept them.
    So all may not get into Cambridge but i heard it is law that one of your five options according to the law need to fit you in somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)

After my course finishes on August, I may then do A level English and drama in September and get a conditional offer alongside my already done access course for 2019 entry, seeing if my A levels finish before September 2019, I'm 20 years old by the way.
    You're doing the right thing in waiting for the next application cycle to apply with achieved grades. A-Level only increases your chances.

Westminster is a wasted choice as it will be in Clearing anyway. Going off how you write here, you don't sound like Oxford material (I know, that's really *****y of me to say). You're probably better off aiming for Bristol, Warwick ... and down.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    So all may not get into Cambridge but i heard it is law that one of your five options according to the law need to fit you in somehow.
    Nope. There's no "law" on this.

And your 5 options don't know where else you have applied to anyway, or even if you have applied to 4 other universities at all. Some people only apply to one. Universities have no visibility of your other choices until after you have firmed/insured - so they can't talk to each other before deciding to make offers and say "it's the law that one of us must accept this applicant". It doesn't happen.

There. is. no. law.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    Did you follow-up on Brasenose's reply to you about Oxford in your other thread? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...php?p=76306136

And do you still plan on a military career after?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5217020
    :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Did you follow-up on Brasenose's reply to you about Oxford in your other thread? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...php?p=76306136

And do you still plan on a military career after?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5217020
    :beard:
    Are you gonna have a career in stalking after this gig is up.

OP, btw, the lack of GCSEs will be a significant challenge to being accepted by any half-decent uni for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    You're doing the right thing in waiting for the next application cycle to apply with achieved grades. A-Level only increases your chances.

Westminster is a wasted choice as it will be in Clearing anyway. Going off how you write here, you don't sound like Oxford material (I know, that's really *****y of me to say). You're probably better off aiming for Bristol, Warwick ... and down.
    Evan Warwick, King's college and London school of economics and political science are in clearing, I emailed them and they say that applications are still open.

You know Dominic grieve, he went to the university of Oxford and studied art, he then went and studied law in the university of Westminster, he is know a top Queens Council Barrister and a member of the Privy Council. Google him, there's also many more alumni in their aswell, do not mock a university in which peaple are working hard and studying in, the only difference between the ranking of a university is its facility's and history, it's unrelated in which university you go to.

And may I ask out of curiosity, do you know me as a person to judge me over an answer forum in which I'm only gathering information from.

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as the other people whom have gone, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    Evan Warwick, King's college and London school of economics and political science are in clearing, I emailed them and they say that applications are still open.

You know Dominic grieve, he went to the university of Oxford and studied art, he then went and studied law in the university of Westminster, he is know a top Queens Council Barrister and a member of the Privy Council. Google him, there's also many more alumni in their aswell, do not mock a university in which peaple are working hard and studying in, the only difference between the ranking of a university is its facility's and history, it's unrelated in which university you go to.

And may I ask out of curiosity, do you know me as a person to judge me over an answer forum in which I'm only gathering information from.

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as other people have went, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.
    Clearing isn't open yet, and LSE won't be in it. And I doubt Law at Warwick or KCL will be listed in Clearing either.

Dominic Grieve read History at Oxford, and then did his law diploma at Westminster.

It's pretty common for lawyers to have a different first degree. A law degree isn't a requirement to becoming a lawyer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, as you've already been told.

Apply wherever you want, but obviously applying to at least one 'safety' university which you surpass the requirements for helps ensure an offer.

Your grades will matter, but so will your reference, relevant experience and performance in the LNAT (which is required by several of the universities you mention).

If you want to apply to Oxford, that's fine. The very worst that can happen is they say no and you have only used one of your options. It isn't a big deal.

You've received solid advice, but ultimately you have to make the decisions that you think are right because you have to live with them. In that regard, I wish you luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Are you gonna have a career in stalking after this gig is up.

OP, btw, the lack of GCSEs will be a significant challenge to being accepted by any half-decent uni for law.
    No it isn't, I have a btec level 2 in performing arts at distinction, so that's the equivalent of 4 a stars at GCSE, I only couldn't have got my English and math because I had to leave the country for my mothers illness, but I emailed Oxford and they saod that they don't have any specific requirements for GCSE subjects or grades, but the typical competitive applicant will have A A*, that's by no means a barrier for entry as long as you show a recently strong academic performance in your A levels they said, but if you go to university of Southampton they will say that you must have English and math at grade C, it depends on the university but the highest in ranking doesn't specify it so I assume that I'm okay in getting off with my circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as other people have went, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.
    I am not trying to insult you. I am simply being honest.

Grieve (an MP QC, so doesn't count) did his GDL (or the equivalent) at Westminster. It is wholly different to doing an undergrad degree there.The truth is important as most good law courses will only be accepting people in the main application scheme. To stand the best chance of getting into a good law school, you should choose 5 reasonable courses. Not the top of the food chain, like Oxford; and not the bottom, like Westminster.

They're not in Clearing for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    No, as you've already been told.

Apply wherever you want, but obviously applying to at least one 'safety' university which you surpass the requirements for helps ensure an offer.

Your grades will matter, but so will your reference, relevant experience and performance in the LNAT (which is required by several of the universities you mention).

If you want to apply to Oxford, that's fine. The very worst that can happen is they say no and you have only used one of your options. It isn't a big deal.

You've received solid advice, but ultimately you have to make the decisions that you think are right because you have to live with them. In that regard, I wish you luck.
    Thank you, this is the best answer so far as you haven’t made fun of me asking questions about my goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)

How do you know that I can't get into Oxford the same way as the other people whom have gone, excluding the fact that it's completely unrelated to one's long term career.
    Your lie would have been convincing if you timed it a few months later, and excluded LSE (and KCL) from it. LSE refuses to appear in Clearing, KCL only did so once for Law... two years ago? So yep, you've been called out on that.

If you studied law at university, you'd have understood that Oxford will provide some subtle advantages that Westminster cannot. These extend beyond the tutorial system. And no, picking one person (who went to Oxford anyway!) doesn't prove anything.

We know that you likely won't be able to get into Oxford from the fact that:
    - you have no GCSEs (that may an insta-rejection in itself)
    - you either have no A-levels or did very poorly in your A-levels the first time you sat them
    - you are stubborn, unresponsive to other peoples' arguments, fairly inarticulate, and make some elementary failures in your argument (such an overreliance on anecdote and an inability to distinguish the normative from the positive). These will all come up at interview.

I'm sure that Notoriety will cover any reasons I missed

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.