The Student Room Group

if I get all the grades necessary, does one of my five uni choices have to accept me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JammieDodger27
That's only once you have an offer.

Oh I didn't realise you hadn't had an offer. As long as they're realistic you will get offers. Everyone I know got all 5 offers unless were medicine, oxbridge or just applied to unis that they had no chance of getting into. Even unis will give offers to people who are still a bit off the grades in case they do work incredibly hard and get the grades in the end. And remember that the unis give out too many offers anyway because they know you have 5 choices and you can only pick one and some people don't get the grades anyway, that's how clearing comes about
Reply 41
Original post by Efron
So your saying that I can become a licensed barrister without getting a law degree.
It is fairly common not to have a law degree for undergrad when becoming a lawyer. However, you still need to study law in a law conversion course. These courses are very popular and often require a 2:1 from a notable university as well as general strong academics. One you have completed this you will need to attend law school. After all of this you can become a licensed lawyer. To become a barrister you will need to complete a one year course. These are often very difficult to complete and get onto. There is then various other steps within this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Nobody lost their patience except you and this other idiot named notirity or something, I emailed the law faculty and they said they had no absolute grades for GCSE, and you are assuming that I will not get in by judging me over the Internet,
Original post by Efron
Nobody lost their patience except you and this other idiot named notirity or something, I emailed the law faculty and they said they had no absolute grades for GCSE, and you are assuming that I will not get in by judging me over the Internet,

I am not an idiot. I am actually really smart, if you must know.
Reply 44
****ing hell :laugh:
Reply 45
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Unfortunately, most people apply to uni before they have their grades.

You apply from September-January of year 13, so you don't have A-levels yet. You do have predicted grades, GCSEs, a reference and a PS. You apply to up to 5 unis, and they accept or reject you based on these five factors. The deadline for this is before your A-level results.

Once you have offers, you chose a firm and an insurance. Your firm has to accept you, if you have the grades. If not, and you have the grades for your insurance, they have to accept you.

No uni has to accept you when you first apply. However, if you're sensible and target unis where you have the right academic profile, chances are you will get 5 acceptances.

If you apply after A-levels, with the correct grades, it's very unlikely you'd be rejected. But you could be if you have an awful reference or some other factor that makes unis dubious.

I'm currently doing a six month intensive access course in law that finishes in August, if I finish that and then begin doing 3 A levels in college, one in English language, one in philosophy and one in Drama.

Do you think I have a good chance by using my access course as a predicted grade to my A levels, I've just turned 20 years old by the way.
Original post by Efron
I ain't talking about an offer, I'm not talking about putting your predicted grades, if you got the necessary grades finished and then apply for university, it's law that because you meet the right criteria then one of those five universities that you opt for need to accept you.

That's the law in the UK educational authority, otherwise everyone can work there asses off and still not get a place every year evan though there getting the necessary A levels. The government has a responsibility to give you the opportunity to study in your contribution to study and get the necessary grades.

If you’re hoping to become a lawyer please note that making up your own laws is not recommended.
Original post by Duncan2012
If you’re hoping to become a lawyer please note that making up your own laws is not recommended.

Nor is being overly sensitive! :tongue: Can you imagine some of the client-lawyer meetings...?!?!? :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Efron
I'm currently doing a six month intensive access course in law that finishes in August, if I finish that and then begin doing 3 A levels in college, one in English language, one in philosophy and one in Drama.

Do you think I have a good chance by using my access course as a predicted grade to my A levels, I've just turned 20 years old by the way.

Your referee will provide your A-level predictions.

Are you doing all 3 A-levels in one year after your Access? I'd be concerned about your workload, and you don't need 3 A-levels on top of an Access. One is entirely sufficient, even for Oxford (or Cambridge). Philosophy would be a good choice.

I do think you should consider taking GCSE maths if you have no maths at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Doonesbury

Are you doing all 3 A-levels in one year after your Access? I'd be concerned about your workload, and you don't need 3 A-levels on top of an Access. One is entirely sufficient, even for Oxford (or Cambridge). Philosophy would be a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love to do 3 A levels in 1 year to increase my chances, hell I can do it in 6 months if I put my mind to i, I'm currently top student in my access course and we're just finishing up on homicide to assault.

I want to do English language as I don't have the GCSE so I'll do the A level, and then Drama and philosophy or creative writing, and I may be doing maths GCSE alongside all of that but I really do think they'll let me off with all these don't you think?

And plus I just want to increase my chances so I'll do it, can you do A level drama in 1 year.
Reply 50
Original post by Efron
I would love to do 3 A levels in 1 year to increase my chances, hell I can do it in 6 months if I put my mind to i, I'm currently top student in my access course and we're just finishing up on homicide to assault.

I want to do English language as I don't have the GCSE so I'll do the A level, and then Drama and philosophy or creative writing, and I may be doing maths GCSE alongside all of that but I really do think they'll let me off with all these don't you think?

And plus I just want to increase my chances so I'll do it, can you do A level drama in 1 year.

It's twice the normal workload, on top of a perfectly acceptable 3 A-level equivalent qualification (the Access HE).

You need to focus on what is needed, and dedicate yourself to doing the very best you can in a few subjects, not trying to do as much as possible. The former will impress admissions staff, the later won't.

A Distinction in your Access, plus an A* in EngLang or Philosophy* will be much more impressive than a Merit plus ABC in A-levels.

Do not underestimate the workload.

*Philosophy is more highly regarded than EngLang. An alternative would be EngLit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I do A level philosophy would I not need to have English GCSE, the only reason I'll be doing English language A levels is because I don't have the GCSE, would philosophy cover that.

And will my referee at my current college that I'm doing an access in, then give me the predicted grades or do I have to get the predicted grades from the college I'm doing A levels in, and when do I get that, when I finished a mock exam or something?

I understand what your saying about doing what you need, but if I didn't enjoy it nor found myself capable of doing it, then I wouldn't do it.

But now that I am going to do it, do you think alongside my Access, it is then best to do A level Philosophy, A level Drama and A level Creative writing, do you think that's a good mix of subjects.

Thank you soo much
Reply 52
Original post by Efron
If I do A level philosophy would I not need to have English GCSE, the only reason I'll be doing English language A levels is because I don't have the GCSE, would philosophy cover that.

And will my referee at my current college that I'm doing an access in, then give me the predicted grades or do I have to get the predicted grades from the college I'm doing A levels in, and when do I get that, when I finished a mock exam or something?

I understand what your saying about doing what you need, but if I didn't enjoy it nor found myself capable of doing it, then I wouldn't do it.

But now that I am going to do it, do you think alongside my Access, it is then best to do A level Philosophy, A level Drama and A level Creative writing, do you think that's a good mix of subjects.

Thank you soo much

You would need to check the minimum GCSE requirements with any university you are considering.

A-level predictions and reference would need to be provided by your A-level college. ButrRemember the application deadine for Oxbridge is 15th Oct which is almost certainly too early for your A-level college to provide a reference given they will only have been teaching you for a month - but you can certainly ask them.

I don't think Drama or Creative Writing adds anything to your application. You can enjoy drama by joining a drama group, and creative writing by doing writing. You don't need A-levels in them.

Stay focussed on what will actually help you get where you want to get to.
If you receive a firm offer from a university, it will,be conditional/unconditional on results meeting a given criteria.
Sometimes you get better deal if you agree to firm early
Should you pass , and achieve the necessary points, any firm offer is a contract

Universities are independant bodies, with a governing body that adjudicates any disputes so that all uk units meet certain standards, but there isn't an education department controlling recruitment nationally

Just getting 5A's does not entitle you to a place at any University without them agreeing
In the same way, having a wallet full of cash does not force a shop to sell you stuff or a hotel to give you a bed

If a university takes more students than the agreed amount, they do not receive the additional funding.
That is why they make some unconditional offers and some conditional- to balance the books.
if they don't receive enough students, they may open more places or not hold the course.
Original post by Efron

Thank you soo much

Following up a level 3 qualification (an Access to HE Diploma) with another level 3 qualification (A levels) is really not ideal unless you think your access diploma has not covered the topics you need for a Law degree (unlikely given that's it's function). You're basically repeating the same level of study but over a broader range of subjects - and Oxford and most other universities are clear that they prefer DEPTH of knowledge over breadth.

You would be better off getting distinctions across your Access credits and taking up some Open University Level 4 law modules (eg http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/w101 plus http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/w102 would give you the equivalent of the first year of the OU LLB QLD) alongside sitting GCSE English and Maths - starting as soon as possible after your Access course finishes. You're then applying with the Level 3 requirements for entry completed but with a plan to continue your progress (and back up your qualifications with GCSEs) during the year you're applying.
Reply 55
Original post by PQ
Following up a level 3 qualification (an Access to HE Diploma) with another level 3 qualification (A levels) is really not ideal unless you think your access diploma has not covered the topics you need for a Law degree (unlikely given that's it's function). You're basically repeating the same level of study but over a broader range of subjects - and Oxford and most other universities are clear that they prefer DEPTH of knowledge over breadth.

You would be better off getting distinctions across your Access credits and taking up some Open University Level 4 law modules (eg http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/w101 plus http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/w102 would give you the equivalent of the first year of the OU LLB QLD) alongside sitting GCSE English and Maths - starting as soon as possible after your Access course finishes. You're then applying with the Level 3 requirements for entry completed but with a plan to continue your progress (and back up your qualifications with GCSEs) during the year you're applying.

Do these levels 4 modules take a year, and can I then move up to undergraduate degree in law or would they they say that I'm overqualified due to me covering the first year on the subject.
Reply 56
Original post by Efron
Do these levels 4 modules take a year, and can I then move up to undergraduate degree in law or would they they say that I'm overqualified due to me covering the first year on the subject.

As I said earlier, why not apply now to courses that still have places? You said yourself you aren't that interested in the "prestige" of the university (cf Westminster).

If you get offers and then a place you are a year ahead in your game plan. If you get 5 rejections you haven't lost anything, and you can reapply.

Edit: Westminster is still open for applications
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=Law&AutoSuggestType=subjectslist&SearchType=searchbarbutton&SortOrder=0&CurrentView=List&PreviouslyAppliedFilters=S_0_Law__&ProviderText=University+of+Westminster%2C+London&SearchType=addproviderbutton&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=&filters=Subject_Law-P-Social+sciences&SubjectText=&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 57
As I said earlier, why not apply now to courses that still have places? You said yourself you aren't that interested in the "prestige" of the university (cf Westminster).

If you get offers and then a place you are a year ahead in your game plan. If you get 5 rejections you haven't lost anything, and you can reapply.

Edit: Westminster is still open for applications
https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=Law&AutoSuggestType=subjectslist&SearchType=searchbarbutton&SortOrder=0&CurrentView=List&PreviouslyAppliedFilters=S_0_Law__&ProviderText=University+of+Westminster%2C+London&SearchType=addproviderbutton&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=&filters=Subject_Law-P-Social+sciences&SubjectText=&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I apply for 2019 entry next year and I submit 3 different applications containing 15 different universities with the same subject, (Law) is that allowed through UCAS.
Reply 58
Original post by Efron
If I apply for 2019 entry next year and I submit 3 different applications containing 15 different universities with the same subject, (Law) is that allowed through UCAS.

Sigh.
No.
Original post by PQ

A-Levels are harder than Access in terms of content. The problem with Access is that to max out on distinctions really only shows you're an AAA student (going off UCAS equiv, and really it's more BBB in terms of actual content).

For the most competitive law courses, you rather need something more or you could benefit from something more. That is where an A-Level comes in. But it is more sensible to do a 1-year A-Level alongside Access (which takes a whole lot of commitment, organisation and skill) rather than have 45 at distinction (basically AAA) achieved and then have an A-Level. By the time you're applying, you'd have no prediction/an unreliable prediction for the A-Level -- which is the problem of applying with Access in the same application cycle.

If OP is just going to Westminster anyway, the blindness of the Access prediction won't matter. Firstly, Westminster is not competitive. Secondly, they'd likely have all their Access grades in by Clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest