Turn on thread page Beta

if I get all the grades necessary, does one of my five uni choices have to accept me. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Did you follow-up on Brasenose's reply to you about Oxford in your other thread? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...php?p=76306136

And do you still plan on a military career after?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5217020
    :beard:
    Thanks doonesbury for the help, no I will not go to the military as my pay will be severely reduced as a barrister.

And yes I have seen his reply.

Thank you for your help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Clearing isn't open yet, and LSE won't be in it. And I doubt Law at Warwick or KCL will be listed in Clearing either.

Dominic Grieve read History at Oxford, and then did his law diploma at Westminster.

It's pretty common for lawyers to have a different first degree. A law degree isn't a requirement to becoming a lawyer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So your saying that I can become a licensed barrister without getting a law degree.

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs to do some research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I am not trying to insult you. I am simply being honest.

How many 20-year-olds who are Oxford quality would be so naive to believe that it is the law that one of your 5 choices must accept you/unis must accept you if you meet their entry requirements? It shows you are not a capable researcher. How you write is not very clear, either. Now we find out you don't even have any GCSEs! Waste one of your choices ... or don't. It doesn't bother me.

Grieve (an MP QC, so doesn't count) did his GDL (or the equivalent) at Westminster. It is wholly different to doing an undergrad degree there. Again the fact you don't know this shows you're completely out of your depth. I am not saying this because it gives me a thrill to make you feel like crap. I am telling you the truth. The truth is important as most good law courses will only be accepting people in the main application scheme. To stand the best chance of getting into a good law school, you should choose 5 reasonable courses. Not the top of the food chain, like Oxford; and not the bottom, like Westminster.

They're not in Clearing for law.
    You say that you don't want to insult me yet you insult me, and I'll tell you why that's your heartly intention regardless in whether you admit it or not, it's because you don't know me and that you judge me based on me asking a question, now if I knew the question myself then I wouldn't be asking here now would I smart ass, your saying that I'm no good of a researcher evan though that's what I'm doing right now.

If I was you then I would watch your words, you don't have a positive sense to it, you transfer negative energy so I would look inwards a little bit to see how silly you sound while judging other people evan though the opposing party show's a very subtle indication of his personal character, and to add to that you cannot criticise anyone when you do not evan know yourself, especially not someone on the Internet that you do not know.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They have to accept you if you get the grades they are asking for. They can't just turn round and say no once you have an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    You say that you don't want to insult me yet you insult me, and I'll tell you why that's your heartly intention regardless in whether you admit it or not, it's because you don't know me and that you judge me based on me asking a question, now if I knew the question myself then I wouldn't be asking here now would I smart ass, your saying that I'm no good of a researcher evan though that's what I'm doing right now.

If I was you then I would watch your words, you don't have a positive sense to it, you transfer negative energy so I would look inwards a little bit to see how silly you sound while judging other people evan though the opposing party show's a very subtle indication of his personal character, and to add to that you cannot criticise anyone when you do not evan know yourself, especially not someone on the Internet that you do not know.
    You got me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon7654)
    Yes. They have to accept you if you get the grades they are asking for. They can't just turn round and say no once you have an offer.
    That's only once you have an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Your lie would have been convincing if you timed it a few months later, and excluded LSE (and KCL) from it. LSE refuses to appear in Clearing, KCL only did so once for Law... two years ago? So yep, you've been called out on that.

If you studied law at university, you'd have understood that Oxford will provide some subtle advantages that Westminster cannot. These extend beyond the tutorial system. And no, picking one person (who went to Oxford anyway!) doesn't prove anything.

We know that you likely won't be able to get into Oxford from the fact that:
    - you have no GCSEs (that may an insta-rejection in itself)
    - you either have no A-levels or did very poorly in your A-levels the first time you sat them
    - you are stubborn, unresponsive to other peoples' arguments, fairly inarticulate, and make some elementary failures in your argument (such an overreliance on anecdote and an inability to distinguish the normative from the positive). These will all come up at interview.

I'm sure that Notoriety will cover any reasons I missed
    I am not unresponsive, I don't know where you got that from. I'm simply asking questions and researching, if I knew the answer to my questions I wouldn't be asking it.

Oxford obviously has advantages, thus making such a big name, but the advantages the university will have alone is as you say, subtle to that initial push after graduation. In the long run it makes a scrap of difference where you came from, and it's completely down to you as a person.

I didn't sit A levels due to me leaving the country because of my mothers illness, and I have a btec level 2 in performing arts at distinction, so that's 4 A* in my GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    That's only once you have an offer.
    Oh I didn't realise you hadn't had an offer. As long as they're realistic you will get offers. Everyone I know got all 5 offers unless were medicine, oxbridge or just applied to unis that they had no chance of getting into. Even unis will give offers to people who are still a bit off the grades in case they do work incredibly hard and get the grades in the end. And remember that the unis give out too many offers anyway because they know you have 5 choices and you can only pick one and some people don't get the grades anyway, that's how clearing comes about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    I am not unresponsive, I don't know where you got that from. I'm simply asking questions and researching, if I knew the answer to my questions I wouldn't be asking it.

Oxford obviously has advantages, thus making such a big name, but the advantages the university will have alone is as you say, subtle to that initial push after graduation. In the long run it makes a scrap of difference where you came from, and it's completely down to you as a person.

I didn't sit A levels due to me leaving the country because of my mothers illness, and I have a btec level 2 in performing arts at distinction, so that's 4 A* in my GCSE's.
    You were unresponsive by asking the same question a billion times despite getting a clear answer from me and others. I mean, you managed to get Doonesbury to lose his patience. That's fairly rare.

Erm, no. The trajectory you'll have in your legal career will largely depend on where you start off. Speak to any legal professional working within a competitive subset of the profession: it's far easier to move 'down' within the City, or the Bar (if you even want that), than it is to move 'up'. And chances are that Oxford will ensure that you'll start your legal career off at a decent place (i.e. not searching for paralegal work at some high-street practice or being unemployed). As for the Bar... well, I don't think that the Westminster Uni name will sit too well over there. I could well be wrong.

4A*s at GCSE aren't sufficient for Oxford. Most applicants have 8 - 10. Even if they were, you've only got their equivalent in a non-academic subject (BTEC performing arts). I'd be careful when drawing implications from them as regards your academic ability.

I don't know why I'm bothering here. It's your application. You're free to apply to Oxford against everyone's advice. Just don't get upset when they reject you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    So your saying that I can become a licensed barrister without getting a law degree.
    It is fairly common not to have a law degree for undergrad when becoming a lawyer. However, you still need to study law in a law conversion course. These courses are very popular and often require a 2:1 from a notable university as well as general strong academics. One you have completed this you will need to attend law school. After all of this you can become a licensed lawyer. To become a barrister you will need to complete a one year course. These are often very difficult to complete and get onto. There is then various other steps within this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    You were unresponsive by asking the same question a billion times despite getting a clear answer from me and others. I mean, you managed to get Doonesbury to lose his patience. That's fairly rare.

Erm, no. The trajectory you'll have in your legal career will largely depend on where you start off. Speak to any legal professional working within a competitive subset of the profession: it's far easier to move 'down' within the City, or the Bar (if you even want that), than it is to move 'up'. And chances are that Oxford will ensure that you'll start your legal career off at a decent place (i.e. not searching for paralegal work at some high-street practice or being unemployed). As for the Bar... well, I don't think that the Westminster Uni name will sit too well over there. I could well be wrong.

4A*s at GCSE aren't sufficient for Oxford. Most applicants have 8 - 10. Even if they were, you've only got their equivalent in a non-academic subject (BTEC performing arts). I'd be careful when drawing implications from them as regards your academic ability.

I don't know why I'm bothering here. It's your application. You're free to apply to Oxford against everyone's advice. Just don't get upset when they reject you.
    Nobody lost their patience except you and this other idiot named notirity or something, I emailed the law faculty and they said they had no absolute grades for GCSE, and you are assuming that I will not get in by judging me over the Internet,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    Nobody lost their patience except you and this other idiot named notirity or something, I emailed the law faculty and they said they had no absolute grades for GCSE, and you are assuming that I will not get in by judging me over the Internet,
    I am not an idiot. I am actually really smart, if you must know.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    Unfortunately, most people apply to uni before they have their grades.

You apply from September-January of year 13, so you don't have A-levels yet. You do have predicted grades, GCSEs, a reference and a PS. You apply to up to 5 unis, and they accept or reject you based on these five factors. The deadline for this is before your A-level results.

Once you have offers, you chose a firm and an insurance. Your firm has to accept you, if you have the grades. If not, and you have the grades for your insurance, they have to accept you.

No uni has to accept you when you first apply. However, if you're sensible and target unis where you have the right academic profile, chances are you will get 5 acceptances.

If you apply after A-levels, with the correct grades, it's very unlikely you'd be rejected. But you could be if you have an awful reference or some other factor that makes unis dubious.
    I'm currently doing a six month intensive access course in law that finishes in August, if I finish that and then begin doing 3 A levels in college, one in English language, one in philosophy and one in Drama.

Do you think I have a good chance by using my access course as a predicted grade to my A levels, I've just turned 20 years old by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efron)
    I ain't talking about an offer, I'm not talking about putting your predicted grades, if you got the necessary grades finished and then apply for university, it's law that because you meet the right criteria then one of those five universities that you opt for need to accept you.

That's the law in the UK educational authority, otherwise everyone can work there asses off and still not get a place every year evan though there getting the necessary A levels. The government has a responsibility to give you the opportunity to study in your contribution to study and get the necessary grades.
    If you’re hoping to become a lawyer please note that making up your own laws is not recommended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    If you’re hoping to become a lawyer please note that making up your own laws is not recommended.
    Nor is being overly sensitive! Can you imagine some of the client-lawyer meetings...?!?!?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    I'm currently doing a six month intensive access course in law that finishes in August, if I finish that and then begin doing 3 A levels in college, one in English language, one in philosophy and one in Drama.

Do you think I have a good chance by using my access course as a predicted grade to my A levels, I've just turned 20 years old by the way.
    Your referee will provide your A-level predictions.

Are you doing all 3 A-levels in one year after your Access? I'd be concerned about your workload, and you don't need 3 A-levels on top of an Access. One is entirely sufficient, even for Oxford (or Cambridge). Philosophy would be a good choice.

I do think you should consider taking GCSE maths if you have no maths at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your referee will provide your A-level predictions.

Are you doing all 3 A-levels in one year after your Access? I'd be concerned about your workload, and you don't need 3 A-levels on top of an Access. One is entirely sufficient, even for Oxford (or Cambridge). Philosophy would be a good choice.

I do think you should consider taking GCSE maths if you have no maths at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would love to do 3 A levels in 1 year to increase my chances, hell I can do it in 6 months if I put my mind to i, I'm currently top student in my access course and we're just finishing up on homicide to assault.

I want to do English language as I don't have the GCSE so I'll do the A level, and then Drama and philosophy or creative writing, and I may be doing maths GCSE alongside all of that but I really do think they'll let me off with all these don't you think?

And plus I just want to increase my chances so I'll do it, can you do A level drama in 1 year.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Efron)
    I would love to do 3 A levels in 1 year to increase my chances, hell I can do it in 6 months if I put my mind to i, I'm currently top student in my access course and we're just finishing up on homicide to assault.

I want to do English language as I don't have the GCSE so I'll do the A level, and then Drama and philosophy or creative writing, and I may be doing maths GCSE alongside all of that but I really do think they'll let me off with all these don't you think?

And plus I just want to increase my chances so I'll do it, can you do A level drama in 1 year.
    It's twice the normal workload, on top of a perfectly acceptable 3 A-level equivalent qualification (the Access HE).

You need to focus on what is needed, and dedicate yourself to doing the very best you can in a few subjects, not trying to do as much as possible. The former will impress admissions staff, the later won't.

A Distinction in your Access, plus an A* in EngLang or Philosophy* will be much more impressive than a Merit plus ABC in A-levels.

Do not underestimate the workload.

*Philosophy is more highly regarded than EngLang. An alternative would be EngLit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.