The Student Room Group

Help with mechanics please

I don't know how to start the graph for this question on displacement graphs.
@Hahahshah71662 Need the question posted.
This is the question:
A woman walking a dog along a straight path stops and releases the dog at point a. She then continues to walk forward at a constant speed of 1.4ms-1. The dog runs 100m forward in 10 seconds stops and sniffs for 10 seconds, then runs forward a further 50m in 20 seconds. It then spots another dog 100m the other side of a and runs back to join in at 5ms-1
Original post by Hahahshah71662
This is the question:
A woman walking a dog along a straight path stops and releases the dog at point a. She then continues to walk forward at a constant speed of 1.4ms-1. The dog runs 100m forward in 10 seconds stops and sniffs for 10 seconds, then runs forward a further 50m in 20 seconds. It then spots another dog 100m the other side of a and runs back to join in at 5ms-1

Is it asking what the displacement graph looks like?
Original post by Vikingninja
@Hahahshah71662 Need the question posted.

It's in the comment above :smile:
Is it asking what the displacement graph looks like?

Yes I've been asked to draw a displacement graph

From what you've written it sounds like it just wants the dogs displacement. The owners constant speed is irrelevant since the dog has been released and is doing its own thing. With y axis being displacement and x being time you would have gradients of displacement/time for each section it is saying. For the first part where it says that the dog runs 100m for 10 seconds you would draw a straight line from the origin which is point A to those coordinates, the sniff section would be a horizontal line as no displacement. Then from the end of that draw a line up by 50m and across the x axis by 20 seconds. Final part you need to calculate the total distance from your current location and -100m as its 100m behind a, then divide the displacement by the velocity given to find the time of this gradient.

From what you've written it sounds like it just wants the dogs displacement. The owners constant speed is irrelevant since the dog has been released and is doing its own thing. With y axis being displacement and x being time you would have gradients of displacement/time for each section it is saying. For the first part where it says that the dog runs 100m for 10 seconds you would draw a straight line from the origin which is point A to those coordinates, the sniff section would be a horizontal line as no displacement. Then from the end of that draw a line up by 50m and across the x axis by 20 seconds. Final part you need to calculate the total distance from your current location and -100m as its 100m behind a, then divide the displacement by the velocity given to find the time of this gradient.

Thankyou so much for your help - it's asking to plot the displacement time graph for the dog and the woman and I have to estimate where they both pass each other using the grpah
Thankyou so much for your help - it's asking to plot the displacement time graph for the dog and the woman and I have to estimate where they both pass each other using the grpah

If that's the case then continue with the displacement as I gave for the dog but then just draw a constant line of gradient 1.4 for the woman, then you can visually see the distance they meet at.
If that's the case then continue with the displacement as I gave for the dog but then just draw a constant line of gradient 1.4 for the woman, then you can visually see the distance they meet at.

Okay thankyou where's A then please?
Okay thankyou where's A then please?

A is at the origin.

Quick Reply

Latest