Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1343 - Non-fatal Offences (Reform) Bill 2018, Vitiate MP, Seconded by CatusStarbright (LIBER), Connor27 (IND)
    A
    BILL
    TO
    Reform the non-fatal offences to ensure legal certainty in the conviction of the non-fatal offences named herein.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1: Definitions
    (1) For the purposes of this Act; apprehension is to have anxiety or fear of unlawful force or violence.
    (2) For the purposes of this Act; actual bodily harm is any harm calculated to interfere with the health or comfort of the victim.
    (3) For the purposes of this Act; wounding is where there is a serious break in the continuity of the skin.

2: Repeals:
    (1) Section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 is hereby repealed.
    (2) Section 47 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861 is hereby repealed.
    (3) Section 20 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861 is hereby repealed.
    (4) Section 18 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861 is hereby repealed.
    (6) Section 16 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861 is hereby repealed.

3: Assault
    (1) Any person who causes the victim to apprehend unlawful force or violence or is reckless as to such fear being caused is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on indictment, up to 6 months imprisonment.

4: Battery
    (1) Any person who inflicts unlawful force or violence upon another or is reckless as to such force or violence being used shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment not exceeding 12 months.

5: Assault or battery occasioning actual bodily harm
    (1) Any person who commits an assault or battery that causes actual bodily harm or is reckless as to such harm being caused shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years.

6: Grievous bodily harm and wounding with or without a weapon or instrument
    (1) Any person who wounds or causes any grievous bodily harm, with or without a weapon or instrument, or recklessness as to such wounds or grievous bodily harm being caused shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment up to and including life imprisonment.

7: Threats to Kill
    (1) Any person who makes a death threat to another, intending to cause the other fear of death, or the recklessness as to such fear being caused shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 years.

8: Sentencing Council
    (1) The Sentencing Council shall amend their guidelines for the new maximum sentencing named in this Act herein.

9: Commencement, Extent and Short Title
    (1) This Act shall come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (2) This Act shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom.
    (3) This Act shall be known as the Non-fatal Offences (Reform) Act 2018.

ReputationRep:
    This bill goes back to baby Vitiate days, vote. Aye
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, this is a bill that makes sense. I’ll support it in division
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are no notes; what does this bill actually do and why should we support it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A strong aye. The law in this area has long been in need of clarification and indeed codification since the laws on non-fatal offences have been scattered through both statute and common law. This bill addresses many of the criticisms of the current law, including the issue of there being archaic language in the offences.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Notes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Notes?
    Apologies! I shall amend some notes in the comments here for you benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This Bill gives much needed reform to an outdated area of the law. It has long since been criticised that the law surrounding non fatals is ambiguous and poorly worded for modern times. This Bill properly rewords definitions of the existing offences whilst combining S18 and 20 into one offence to remove potential confusion in what charges will be bought against a defendant. Not only this but the sentencing has been given a more logical touch. Furthermore, the definition of wounding has been amended as it is outrageous that a person can, legally speaking, be convicted of a S18 or 20 offence for a paper cut.

The following sections have been repealed:
    Section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988
    Section 47 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861
    Section 20 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861
    Section 18 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861
    Section 16 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Vitiate)
    Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This Bill gives much needed reform to an outdated area of the law. It has long since been criticised that the law surrounding non fatals is ambiguous and poorly worded for modern times. This Bill properly rewords definitions of the existing offences whilst combining S18 and 20 into one offence to remove potential confusion in what charges will be bought against a defendant. Not only this but the sentencing has been given a more logical touch. Furthermore, the definition of wounding has been amended as it is outrageous that a person can, legally speaking, be convicted of a S18 or 20 offence for a paper cut.

The following sections have been repealed:
    Section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988
    Section 47 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861
    Section 20 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861
    Section 18 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861
    Section 16 of the Offences against the Person Act 1861

In this case, I will be voting in favour unless anybody can convince me otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I will of course be voting aye on this, hence why I seconded it.

ReputationRep:
    Will take some time to read up on this tomorrow, tentative aye for now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Probably aye from me too
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do the sentences match current sentences? If so it sounds like this is basically just updating definitions which seems a tad unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Do the sentences match current sentences? If so it sounds like this is basically just updating definitions which seems a tad unnecessary.
    No, sentencing has been amended.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Vitiate)
    No, sentencing has been amended.
    Thought so, from what to what in each instance?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    An obvious aye from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Thought so, from what to what in each instance?
    With assault, that is the one of two to have remained the same with six months.

I have increased battery from six months to twelve.

Actual bodily harm has remained the same with five years.

GBH (S18 and 20) have been combined with a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Threats to kill has been increased from 10 years to 15.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the Lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.