Turn on thread page Beta

Folks I am looking for a bit of advice please. Someone out there must have had a similar experience!!! No nasty or negative comments as I am already upset as it as.

So... There is this teacher in my college who totally comforted me when I was in a bad place (we are both female so absolutely no sexuality involved), normally I am pretty inconsolable when I’m upset but this lady went over & above and was exceptionally kind to me. In a way she felt like a mother figure to me.
    Anyways, the problem is, I felt an instant emotional connection with her and couldn’t stop thinking of what a beautiful personality she has. She told me to email her, however I don’t want her to think I’m a pest (maybe overthinking).
    I’ve been in total emotional turmoil the past few days and have cried so many tears over not being able to see or speak to her. She is just the very role model I’d love to have in my life right now but unfortunately there’s the whole “student/teacher rules” which some of you can probably relate to. I’m not sure what’s deemed acceptable or unacceptable and just not sure if there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed. Suppose there will be a difference in opinion there. I’m not sure if she is allowed to chat with me outside of an educational establishment, but I am totally craving a hug from her.
    Just wondering if anyone has found themselves in this situation before and if so what the outcome was? I’d love to find a friendship in this lady but I’m sure it’s against policy, as teachers can be accused of conflict of interest, favouritism etc although she isn’t actually one of my teachers!
    I really want to tell this lady about my overwhelming emotion, how she has impacted my life and how special she is to me.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Folks I am looking for a bit of advice please. Someone out there must have had a similar experience!!! No nasty or negative comments as I am already upset as it as.

So... There is this teacher in my college who totally comforted me when I was in a bad place (we are both female so absolutely no sexuality involved), normally I am pretty inconsolable when I’m upset but this lady went over & above and was exceptionally kind to me. In a way she felt like a mother figure to me.
    Anyways, the problem is, I felt an instant emotional connection with her and couldn’t stop thinking of what a beautiful personality she has. She told me to email her, however I don’t want her to think I’m a pest (maybe overthinking).
    I’ve been in total emotional turmoil the past few days and have cried so many tears over not being able to see or speak to her. She is just the very role model I’d love to have in my life right now but unfortunately there’s the whole “student/teacher rules” which some of you can probably relate to. I’m not sure what’s deemed acceptable or unacceptable and just not sure if there’s a line that shouldn’t be crossed. Suppose there will be a difference in opinion there. I’m not sure if she is allowed to chat with me outside of an educational establishment, but I am totally craving a hug from her.
    Just wondering if anyone has found themselves in this situation before and if so what the outcome was? I’d love to find a friendship in this lady but I’m sure it’s against policy, as teachers can be accused of conflict of interest, favouritism etc although she isn’t actually one of my teachers!
    I really want to tell this lady about my overwhelming emotion, how she has impacted my life and how special she is to me.
    It's natural that if she were there for you in your time of need you might form some kind of attachment to her, but you are a student in her school so as you know, you can't get too friendly. She is a teacher and you are a student and you cannot blur that line because it will be seen as inappropriate. She is there to support you if you need it, but she's there as a teacher and not as a friend. You need to try to make and develop friendships with your classmates. That's not to say that you can't look up to her and enjoy her company, but you need to be clear with yourself the nature of your relationship

ReputationRep:
    Remember that teachers can be friendly but they can't be your friend and definitely shouldn't be hugging pupils. She sounds like a great teacher, kind and comforting, but you need to set a clear boundary between the two of you.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you need to walk away from her and try and mvoe on. She can't give you what you want and if you ask for it there could be some trouble.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.