Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in S5 this year and I'm doing my course choice for S6 pretty soon and I'm really conflicted about what to take. At the moment I do 5 Highers: Physics, Maths, English, Chemistry and Computing.

I was planning to take AH Maths, Mechanics and Computing because I really enjoy problem-solving subjects and I want to study engineering at Uni so I thought they would also help with that. However, after speaking to my parents, both of them have advised me against the 3 Advanced Highers and instead want me to take AH Maths, Computing and Higher German. (I did Nat 5 German last year.)

My mum said there was no 'glory' in taking 3 Advanced Highers but that is what I want to do. Although, I do trust my parent's judgement. I know that I do want to take Mechanics and I think I would benefit from it considering my Uni course choice. But my parents seem to want to stop me from doing 3 AH's?

Overall, I'm totally confused over what I should do and would appreciate some advice. Maybe from someone who has taken courses or is taking courses similar to mine?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmANerdOkay?)
    Okay, so I know this technically isn't an 'A'Level' question but it's the most relevant topic to put it in.

So I'm in S5 this year and I'm doing my course choice for S6 pretty soon and I'm really conflicted about what to take. At the moment I do 5 Highers: Physics, Maths, English, Chemistry and Computing.

I was planning to take AH Maths, Mechanics and Computing because I really enjoy problem-solving subjects and I want to study engineering at Uni so I thought they would also help with that. However, after speaking to my parents, both of them have advised me against the 3 Advanced Highers and instead want me to take AH Maths, Computing and Higher German. (I did Nat 5 German last year.)

My mum said there was no 'glory' in taking 3 Advanced Highers but that is what I want to do. Although, I do trust my parent's judgement. I know that I do want to take Mechanics and I think I would benefit from it considering my Uni course choice. But my parents seem to want to stop me from doing 3 AH's?

Overall, I'm totally confused over what I should do and would appreciate some advice. Maybe from someone who has taken courses or is taking courses similar to mine?

Thanks in advance!
    Firstly it depends what uni you're looking at (i.e i think some english universites might require 3 advanced highers).
    i was in a similar sitaution last year, deciding whether to do advanced biology chemistry and spanish or advanced biolgy, chemistry and higher english (didn't take in s5). In my experience i'm very happy i didn't take three advanced highers as the work load is massive. (I'm applying for med so ahs are in conditions making it very stressful)
    that being said advanced highers do prepare you better for univeristy and i can imagine those particular ah's would benefit you for engineering. What facilities do your school have for those subjects at advanced (as in will you have a teacher and adequate time tabling)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks in advance!
    Hi

I've restored your OP and moved your thread to Scottish Qualifications for you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you are on track for good grades this year, it depends on what you want to do next...If you want to go for 1st year entry into a Scottish uni, either option is really fine (mechanics is done by very few pupils in Scotland, so while it may provide an advantage, it certainly won't be assumed knowledge). If you want 2nd year Scottish uni entry, or to go to an English uni, then 3 AHs is best.

Really it's up to you. Your mum might just want you to have a smaller workload, but if you think you will enjoy mechanics more and will find it difficult to remember your German, then you should probably go ahead with the mechanics, as it could actually end up being the smaller workload if this is the case.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I did two Highers and two AH's last year. It was science stuff but I would still say doing the AH's was great prep for Uni and I would assume that's the same for most subjects at AH. It is also worth remembering how long you get in school without classes though I don't know what situation your school provides but I assume you would get many free periods so a lot of work can be done in that time. If you want to go for 3 AH's then it would be worthwhile at the end of the year.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Additional point if you take a course which covers a lot of what you do in AH then it will pay off having done that work before so you will already be ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    Hi

I've restored your OP and moved your thread to Scottish Qualifications for you
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Also i would consider any hobbies / extra curriculars / part time jobs you have as a third advanced higher may make some of these harder to make time for (defo not impossible plenty of people do it but just be aware)

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would definitely take AH Mechanics and AH Maths with perhaps Higher German. Unless you're planning on going to university outwith Scotland there's no need to take 3 AH's unless you really want to and even then only in relevant fields. My friends who are currently first years in Uni (many studying Engineering or Maths) have said that AH's are really only useful if you don't want to study much in year 1 or want to be a direct entrant to 2nd year. Mechanics at AH will be particularly useful if you're looking to study Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering.

Your parents aren't in charge of your future and if you really want to study 3 AH then go for it. Whilst Higher German may come in useful at some point in your life and may open doors for jobs in a German or even a Scandinavian speaking country, many universities don't offer a joint degree in engineering and languages, and a Higher in German may not be enough to get you a job in a German-speaking country.

I'm currently in S5 studying English, Maths, Chemistry, Computing and Modern Studies at Higher and a N5 in physics which I do at home. I plan on going studying Mechanical Engineering at Glasgow if my N5 physics goes well this year (I'm on track for an A so let's hope it does). If not my back up is Maths. Next year I'm taking AH Maths, AH Mechanics, and H Physics/ AH Statistics depending on how exams go this year.

You say you enjoy problem-solving subjects and AH Mechanics is very much based around problem-solving through the use of Higher physics and AH maths (or so my uni friends tell me). Overall the decision is yours but unless you're planning on doing Electrical Engineering, AH Computing won't be of much help. Similarly, if you're not planning on doing Mechanical or Civil Engineering then AH Mechanics will be less relevant to your study.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this advice! I crashed Nat 5 Physics last year and I'm currently taking Higher Physics so I think you'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Highers are good prep (esp sciences because of the project) but they really arent necessary, I took three (maths, physics and chem) this year and really wish I had done maybe two highers instead of chem just because I could have avoided the workload...especially since if you're predicted good grades this year you're likely to get unconditionals which after january really kills most people's motivation lol. But if you think you'll enjoy the courses I'd say just go for it since it's manageable, just take advantage of your free periods

I don't know if it's the same now but my sister was exempt from all her first year exams in uni because she got good advanced higher grades😩

ReputationRep:
    I am in S5 as well but we have already chosen our subjects. I took four AH’s: biology, chemistry, maths and stats. However, this is only because I want to study medicine and uni. Most courses will not require more than two AH’s unless they are rly competitive like medicine, law, veterinary medicine, dentistry etc.
    Although, that being said, my school counts stats and mechanics as sort of ‘half’ advanced highers. They are only three blocks a week, compared to five and a study block for other advanced highers. So maybe if you still want to do all three, tell your parents that mechanics used to be paired with stats, and it was called ‘applied maths’. When they separated it, the workload for each section was also separated. So, although by uni’s it is considered its own subject, it will be less work than other AH’s.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to pursue engineering i would say go for AH Maths, Mechanics and Physics, as these three subjects overlap quite a bit, especially physics and mechanics. but if you enjoy computing you can do that instead of physics, it's really up to you

i'm currently in S6 doing AH biology chemistry maths and physics so 3 advanced highers are definitely doable!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.