Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply for a speech and language therapy degree for next year in Manchester. What are people's thoughts on the course at Manchester uni and Manchester Met and are there any differences between them? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Man met has day release placements and UoM has block placement, which is much more about you running a small caseload. The Man Met course focuses more on long term development some say. Objectively neither is really better than the other. It’s more about what suits your learning style I suppose.

ManMet treats its healthcare courses with quite a lot of pride and invests quite a lot into them in terms of time and resources. UoM has the better stocked library but maybe not the best resources room.

UoM has the prestige factor but it doesn’t really matter in the end. No employer in the UK for SLT is going to shortlist candidates based on their alma mater. However, with the integrated masters programme at Manchester you might have more options to work abroad if you wanted to.

I think you have to go and see both and see which place feels better for you. There’s no right answer other than the one that’s right for you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NewStudent67)
    I'm going to apply for a speech and language therapy degree for next year in Manchester. What are people's thoughts on the course at Manchester uni and Manchester Met and are there any differences between them? Thanks.
    Hi!

Glad to hear that you are thinking about applying to us

giella has given some great advice above! Visiting both ourselves and The University of Manchester is a great way to compare the courses, to see which would be the right for you. If you haven't visited us already, our next Open Day isn't until the 20th June 2018; however if you apply to us and are invited to interview, you will have the chance to have a look around then and ask tutors any questions you have about the course.

Just a note about our placements, they are a mixture of both day release and block placements so you experience a bit of both.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about Manchester Met just give me a shout

Rebecca

ReputationRep:
    And man met has the personal touch 👆👍

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou to you both for your comments. I think you're right, the best thing would be to go to both Open Days and ask questions there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewStudent67)
    Visiting is probably your best option as things have changed on the course in recent times - I applied way back in 2014 and at that time MMU had a more practical approach starting placements much earlier than UofM. Either way, you will be a qualified SLT at the end of the course,

Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.