Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A level choices: To do the sensible subject or the one i enjoy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    At my school we take four a levels and the first two must be maths and physics because i have a scholarship for sixth form provided i do these and they are also my best subjects (predicted 9 in both) and i love physics and want to keep my options open for studying it at uni.

However, ultimately i see myself in a more medical career and really enjoy and am facinated by medicine. So id like to keep my options for medicine(this is 90% what i want to do) so thats put chemistry down as my third subject.

My dilemma lies with my fourth subject. Im considering further maths, biology and history.

Im good at maths but i dont know if i enjoy it enough to do further maths, also id worry im narrowing down my options too much. Im fairly certain i dont want to do fm.

Biology is by all accounts the sensible option, it fits well with other subjects. Im good at it- predicted a 9 and i dont mind it. I enjoy topics like genetics but plant based stuff i find pretty boring. It would be much better for applying to medicine with.
    However, i love history so much. Its my favourite lesson and i find it so interesting. Most of my friends are taking history and not sciences, and the teachers are amazing and ahh i love it so much. It will not help me with my future goals and might hinder my medical application. It would however benefit me if i tried to apply to a US college- if i can somehow manage the costs :/

The main problem with history is im not as naturally gifted at essay subjects. I scraped an A in my mocks with an 83 but im predocted an A* still. I worry if i took it even if the subject didnt hinder me i might not manage an A which could hinder my going to med school or a US uni.

Id be looking at oxbridge, etc places so whilst officially they say you dont need biology i was womdering how big a deal having history instead would be.
    I was also planning on doing an epq so how much larger would the work load be

Im so sorry but i just need advice on whether to follow my head or my heart on this. Biology is the sensibke option and i dont Dislike it- but i love history.

Thanks xxxx

ReputationRep:
    i’d say definitely take history - check the entry requirements for definite but chemistry and maths should get you into most med schools. especially as you’re taking it for a fourth subject, pick the one you love!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    history.

Usually most unis require chemistry and another science.
    You have physics, chemistry and maths - they don't even ask for a fourth so it doesn't matter if it's not related

ReputationRep:
    Hi I do history a level and I have a love hate relationship with it. But that could be because I do two essay subjects and two arts subjects and have a lack of differentiation.

But that's it, you need differentiation. Originally I was going to do ALL essay based subjects. And honestly, I probs would have died 84 times from it because dude, I told myself the same as you. Don't do art, I said, but now art is the only reason I have not dropped out.

Doing stuff you like can get bad over doing it EVERY SINGLE DAY. But doing something you love, never gets bad

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.