Psychology, Criminology, Psychology + Criminology?

Watch
Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm considering Southampton for 2019 admission (I'm currently Year 12).

I don't know exactly what route I want to go down, but I do know I'm extremely interested with serial killers - their psychology is fascinating to me.

I do biology at A-Level but I don't necessarily enjoy it, yet I think the psych course includes lots of biological content.

I'm really not sure what route to go down!
ireee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Traore)

I don't know exactly what route I want to go down, but I do know I'm extremely interested with serial killers - their psychology is fascinating to me.

I do biology at A-Level but I don't necessarily enjoy it, yet I think the psych course includes lots of biological content.

I think psychology gives you more options. There’s clinical, forensic, research. You can go into marketing or HR. And get into other not so obvious professions.
Parasite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

If you're interested in criminal behavior and the psychological as well as sociological/criminological explanations I would go for a joint degree in Criminology and Psychology at the University of Southampton. It is accredited by the British Psychological Society and, in my opinion, would lead to greater employability and further study options.

It's precisely why I picked the course in the first place! You study a bit of everything and the course is accredited which is the same as straight Psychology.

And it depends on the Psychology Unit, but if you want to vary it even further do a joint specialization. Yes Psychology will have biological contents as well as research methods/data analysis!

Good luck!
Traore
Rep:
?
(Original post by ireee)
I think psychology gives you more options. There’s clinical, forensic, research. You can go into marketing or HR. And get into other not so obvious professions.
Thanks, I'm not a social person (I'm trying to improve) but I like these professions.
Traore
Rep:
?
(Original post by Parasite)
If you're interested in criminal behavior and the psychological as well as sociological/criminological explanations I would go for a joint degree in Criminology and Psychology at the University of Southampton. It is accredited by the British Psychological Society and, in my opinion, would lead to greater employability and further study options.

It's precisely why I picked the course in the first place! You study a bit of everything and the course is accredited which is the same as straight Psychology.

And it depends on the Psychology Unit, but if you want to vary it even further do a joint specialization. Yes Psychology will have biological contents as well as research methods/data analysis!

Good luck!
In terms of a career, psychology seems to be more useful but also very competitive.

In terms of my interest, criminology + psychology seems perfect! I wish they had a subject brochure that I could order since I've ordered psych and crim individually.

I currently do psych, bio and sociology at A-Level too.
Parasite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In terms of a career, psychology seems to be more useful but also very competitive.

In terms of my interest, criminology + psychology seems perfect! I wish they had a subject brochure that I could order since I've ordered psych and crim individually.

I currently do psych, bio and sociology at A-Level too.
Tbh a lot of people may think joint degrees hold less value, but if you specifically want to go down the forensic route, doing a straight or joint Psychology course won't impact your prospects at all. Even if you chose not to do so, the same applies! Experience and a solid 2:1 or first class honours degree will however!

I just picked it because I couldn't picture myself focusing on one subject.

I think you'll quite enjoy Crim + Psy because we also study Sociology as well. If you enjoyed it at A-Level you'll also enjoy it at University level. I do believe they are complimentary disciplines!

You did similar subjects to me, a part from Biology.

Good luck nonetheless!!
ElyLaw99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology ftw, gives you a lot more leigh way. Because it's such a broad subject you kinda get a feel for everything. Then you can also take additional topics at uni too and then whatever you choose that'll be what you graduate in. Also after the first year a lot of unis allow you to change courses I. E. To Criminology. Worlds your oyster really.
Traore
Rep:
?
(Original post by Parasite)
Tbh a lot of people may think joint degrees hold less value, but if you specifically want to go down the forensic route, doing a straight or joint Psychology course won't impact your prospects at all. Even if you chose not to do so, the same applies! Experience and a solid 2:1 or first class honours degree will however!

I just picked it because I couldn't picture myself focusing on one subject.

I think you'll quite enjoy Crim + Psy because we also study Sociology as well. If you enjoyed it at A-Level you'll also enjoy it at University level. I do believe they are complimentary disciplines!

You did similar subjects to me, a part from Biology.

Good luck nonetheless!!
Thanks! I'm considering it.
Traore
Rep:
?
(Original post by ElyLaw99)
Psychology ftw, gives you a lot more leigh way. Because it's such a broad subject you kinda get a feel for everything. Then you can also take additional topics at uni too and then whatever you choose that'll be what you graduate in. Also after the first year a lot of unis allow you to change courses I. E. To Criminology. Worlds your oyster really.
Thanks
Rajshi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello! I've been wanting to get into criminal psy fields to work for juvenile crime actively. I have a legal background and now am considering psy postgrad for this in UK. Should I go for MSc in Forensic Psy (BPS accredited) and then find my way into working for juvenile delinquents or would it be better to do MSc Criminology & Crim Justice and then doctorate in forensic psychology for licensing later?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.13%
Uncertainty around my education (302)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (213)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (279)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (90)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.68%
Loneliness (175)
8.72%
Financial worries (72)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (95)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (110)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (178)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.41%

Watched Threads