Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering Southampton for 2019 admission (I'm currently Year 12).

I don't know exactly what route I want to go down, but I do know I'm extremely interested with serial killers - their psychology is fascinating to me.

I do biology at A-Level but I don't necessarily enjoy it, yet I think the psych course includes lots of biological content.

I'm really not sure what route to go down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traore)

I don't know exactly what route I want to go down, but I do know I'm extremely interested with serial killers - their psychology is fascinating to me.

I do biology at A-Level but I don't necessarily enjoy it, yet I think the psych course includes lots of biological content.

I think psychology gives you more options. There’s clinical, forensic, research. You can go into marketing or HR. And get into other not so obvious professions.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

If you're interested in criminal behavior and the psychological as well as sociological/criminological explanations I would go for a joint degree in Criminology and Psychology at the University of Southampton. It is accredited by the British Psychological Society and, in my opinion, would lead to greater employability and further study options.

It's precisely why I picked the course in the first place! You study a bit of everything and the course is accredited which is the same as straight Psychology.

And it depends on the Psychology Unit, but if you want to vary it even further do a joint specialization. Yes Psychology will have biological contents as well as research methods/data analysis!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ireee)
    I think psychology gives you more options. There’s clinical, forensic, research. You can go into marketing or HR. And get into other not so obvious professions.
    Thanks, I'm not a social person (I'm trying to improve) but I like these professions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parasite)
    If you're interested in criminal behavior and the psychological as well as sociological/criminological explanations I would go for a joint degree in Criminology and Psychology at the University of Southampton. It is accredited by the British Psychological Society and, in my opinion, would lead to greater employability and further study options.

It's precisely why I picked the course in the first place! You study a bit of everything and the course is accredited which is the same as straight Psychology.

And it depends on the Psychology Unit, but if you want to vary it even further do a joint specialization. Yes Psychology will have biological contents as well as research methods/data analysis!

Good luck!
    In terms of a career, psychology seems to be more useful but also very competitive.

In terms of my interest, criminology + psychology seems perfect! I wish they had a subject brochure that I could order since I've ordered psych and crim individually.

I currently do psych, bio and sociology at A-Level too.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of a career, psychology seems to be more useful but also very competitive.

In terms of my interest, criminology + psychology seems perfect! I wish they had a subject brochure that I could order since I've ordered psych and crim individually.

I currently do psych, bio and sociology at A-Level too.
    Tbh a lot of people may think joint degrees hold less value, but if you specifically want to go down the forensic route, doing a straight or joint Psychology course won't impact your prospects at all. Even if you chose not to do so, the same applies! Experience and a solid 2:1 or first class honours degree will however!

I just picked it because I couldn't picture myself focusing on one subject.

I think you'll quite enjoy Crim + Psy because we also study Sociology as well. If you enjoyed it at A-Level you'll also enjoy it at University level. I do believe they are complimentary disciplines!

You did similar subjects to me, a part from Biology.

Good luck nonetheless!!

ReputationRep:
    Psychology ftw, gives you a lot more leigh way. Because it's such a broad subject you kinda get a feel for everything. Then you can also take additional topics at uni too and then whatever you choose that'll be what you graduate in. Also after the first year a lot of unis allow you to change courses I. E. To Criminology. Worlds your oyster really.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parasite)
    Tbh a lot of people may think joint degrees hold less value, but if you specifically want to go down the forensic route, doing a straight or joint Psychology course won't impact your prospects at all. Even if you chose not to do so, the same applies! Experience and a solid 2:1 or first class honours degree will however!

I just picked it because I couldn't picture myself focusing on one subject.

I think you'll quite enjoy Crim + Psy because we also study Sociology as well. If you enjoyed it at A-Level you'll also enjoy it at University level. I do believe they are complimentary disciplines!

You did similar subjects to me, a part from Biology.

Good luck nonetheless!!
    Thanks! I'm considering it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElyLaw99)
    Psychology ftw, gives you a lot more leigh way. Because it's such a broad subject you kinda get a feel for everything. Then you can also take additional topics at uni too and then whatever you choose that'll be what you graduate in. Also after the first year a lot of unis allow you to change courses I. E. To Criminology. Worlds your oyster really.
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2018

University open days

1. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.