Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's my first year at a top London uni, and although literally none of my modules count this year (except one which is only 5% of the 3 years), I'm extremely stressed out. Everyone seems to be on top/ appears to be on top of things and although i'm working hard, I'm scared of failure and wasting 9k.

Although my modules don't affect my degree this year, i need to do well for those summer internships so again, more stress.

HELP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockD)
    It's my first year at a top London uni, and although literally none of my modules count this year (except one which is only 5% of the 3 years), I'm extremely stressed out. Everyone seems to be on top/ appears to be on top of things and although i'm working hard, I'm scared of failure and wasting 9k.

Although my modules don't affect my degree this year, i need to do well for those summer internships so again, more stress.

HELP?
    Look you got a place in the uni so you have the ability to get through. The 9k is an unfortunate stress but ... it is there so you just have to get on with it.

If you think everyone else is completely on top of things it is because you are not in their shoes. Everyone needs to be a bit stressed because that is what gives us the motivation to get up in the morning and go to lectures/the library/ do an assignment /get off social media.

So take a deep breath and start doing some reading. By the end of the year you will get an assessment of how well you are doing and then you can adjust how much work you are doing accordingly. If you don't get the summer internship you wanted then so be it. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

By being stressed now you will only affect the quality of your work. Everyone in Year 3 will tell you - enjoy Year 1 while you can.

ReputationRep:
    Does your university have a student advice and well-being center? If so, make an appointment for an assessment, then go for regular counselling sessions,in order to get to grip with this problem of failing to cope with stress, right now.

Unless, by an accident of birth, you were born into extreme wealth, university life, regardless of how stressful it seems at the time, is a holiday camp, a doss, compared to real adult life. If you're struggling at university now, how will you cope with the pressure of finding a decent professional job, and be able to do what it takes to advance in your career?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.