Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling to find a graduate job, considering doing a PGCE - advice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering starting a PGCE course with a view to becoming a Primary teacher. I graduated almost a year ago and whilst I am employed in the retail sector, I've had no luck securing a graduate role in my degree subject area (Marketing). I've been applying for jobs with no luck since before I even graduated, without so much as an interview.
    I have a first class degree and did really enjoy my degree, but I'm starting to think that my job prospects in this sector are slim, as I'm struggling to even get low-level experience that could help me get my foot in the door. Part of me thinks I should just wait it out in case I find a really great job opportunity at some point, but I'm so demoralised and wonder if I'm wasting my time hoping for a job opportunity that isn't realistic.

I did consider teaching when I was in school and did have work experience in a couple of schools, before I became interested in marketing and decided to go down that career path instead. I've been told by friends that I would make a good teacher and I did really enjoy my work experience in schools all those years ago. However I've read a lot of forums and discussions where people have begun PGCEs and dropped out, or are qualified teachers and seem really depressed, demoralised, and haven't got two good words to say about the teaching profession.

The things that draw me to teaching are that it's a job that you can do anywhere (rural areas, towns, cities, abroad etc.), and I do think I would genuinely enjoy it. I'll be honest and say that the starting salary is also really appealing to me, given what I'm earning at the moment. However from what I've read, pretty much everyone else only has negatives to say about the work-life-balance, horrific kids, not being paid enough for the amount of work put in, stress and anxiety issues...

In short, is it worthwhile looking into a PGCE? Are all the negative threads I've read genuinely an insight into PGCE/NQT years, or are the people who are dissatisfied with their PGCE just more likely to be vocal online about it? Or should I persevere with trying to find a job in marketing, despite the fact that my job prospects seem much lower in this field?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    "Why do you want to go into teaching?" is often a question asked of candidates. Salary and location are not very good answers. I think you need to really have the passion if you want to make it work. The training is brutal and the job slightly less so. The rewards are great but they are not monetary. Going into teaching because there is nothing else is a poor life decision.

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by eaba)
    I'm considering starting a PGCE course with a view to becoming a Primary teacher. I graduated almost a year ago and whilst I am employed in the retail sector, I've had no luck securing a graduate role in my degree subject area (Marketing). I've been applying for jobs with no luck since before I even graduated, without so much as an interview.
    I have a first class degree and did really enjoy my degree, but I'm starting to think that my job prospects in this sector are slim, as I'm struggling to even get low-level experience that could help me get my foot in the door. Part of me thinks I should just wait it out in case I find a really great job opportunity at some point, but I'm so demoralised and wonder if I'm wasting my time hoping for a job opportunity that isn't realistic.

I did consider teaching when I was in school and did have work experience in a couple of schools, before I became interested in marketing and decided to go down that career path instead. I've been told by friends that I would make a good teacher and I did really enjoy my work experience in schools all those years ago. However I've read a lot of forums and discussions where people have begun PGCEs and dropped out, or are qualified teachers and seem really depressed, demoralised, and haven't got two good words to say about the teaching profession.

The things that draw me to teaching are that it's a job that you can do anywhere (rural areas, towns, cities, abroad etc.), and I do think I would genuinely enjoy it. I'll be honest and say that the starting salary is also really appealing to me, given what I'm earning at the moment. However from what I've read, pretty much everyone else only has negatives to say about the work-life-balance, horrific kids, not being paid enough for the amount of work put in, stress and anxiety issues...

In short, is it worthwhile looking into a PGCE? Are all the negative threads I've read genuinely an insight into PGCE/NQT years, or are the people who are dissatisfied with their PGCE just more likely to be vocal online about it? Or should I persevere with trying to find a job in marketing, despite the fact that my job prospects seem much lower in this field?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    I've got a place on a PGCE this September, and I do think it's worth looking into it further. However, even at interview I was warned about the workload of the PGCE and the dedication needed. I do think teaching is something you have to want to do for the sake of the children, as well as for the financial rewards.

I read a lot of people's opinions about the PGCE and teaching before I started, and I do think that there are people who are happy in teaching and figure out a work life balance, especially as time goes on. Also, some schools are a lot better than others, and working in a good school is probably key. However, a lot of people also do struggle/drop out of the PGCE- and often I think these are people who've fallen into it because they aren't sure what else to do.

Have you thought about any other options besides teaching? There are other options that might tick your boxes, e.g. social worker, probation officer, healthcare professions. Or you could learn a skill like web design that might enable you to work remotely. This might be a good combination with marketing! When I was looking at teaching, I explored other options, but kept coming back to teaching- that's how I knew I really wanted to do it, rather than just thinking it could be reasonably well paying and convenient!

I would also try and get some more experience in a school- you'll need this for your application anyway. Talk to teachers in the school about your concerns, and that may help you make your decision.

Good luck!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.