Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have acrylic nails on, and last night I knocked one of them so hard, it ripped half of my natural nail upI have cut the acrylic nail down to my natural nail, but it's now weeping and there's yellow pus or something forming on the sidesThe inside has gone white and puffy and is so painful and it's throbbing and it's gone really hot and numb at the same timeI don't have time to see a doctor at the moment, is there anything else I can do because a plaster hurts even more

ReputationRep:
    That sounds infected yo.
    Did you wash it out immediately after? If not, now would be the best time to do so.
    Buy some antiseptic cream/spray asap.
    Only after doing that, should you apply a small bandage (not plaster), and change it regularly, washing out your wound each time.

ReputationRep:
    Disinfect it. Run it under warm water, wipe it down with alcholic wipes if you have them (it'll sting), put some germolene on it to stop it from getting more infected and then bandage it for the time being, not put a plaster on it. A bandage would work a lot better and reduce the risk of any bacteria getting in there

ReputationRep:
    If it’s infected (and it sounds like it is) you should make time ASAP before it gets worse.

I managed to lose most of my big toenail Boxing Day in an accident. After cutting it as much as possible I used an antiseptic spray and germolene. Then I put gauze over the nail area and a bandage secured with a plaster over the top. No infection even though it’s still not fully grown back yet.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Demi1239357)
    I have acrylic nails on, and last night I knocked one of them so hard, it ripped half of my natural nail upI have cut the acrylic nail down to my natural nail, but it's now weeping and there's yellow pus or something forming on the sidesThe inside has gone white and puffy and is so painful and it's throbbing and it's gone really hot and numb at the same timeI don't have time to see a doctor at the moment, is there anything else I can do because a plaster hurts even more
    Clean it with an antiseptic wipe or similar, cover it with a bandage and call your GP surgery tomorrow or go to a walk in. If there is pus (that white/ yellow stuff) it means it's infected and that means you need it properly looked at and treated to make sure it doesn't get worse. If you call your GP surgery and explain they should be able to set you up with an appointment with a nurse, hopefully that same day.
    I know it can be hard to find time, but this is something you need to get seen to. At the very least go into a pharmacy tomorrow. Depending on how bad your finger is they may be able to help you and save you a trip to the nurse.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, will try to get an appointment
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Clean it with an antiseptic wipe or similar, cover it with a bandage and call your GP surgery tomorrow or go to a walk in. If there is pus (that white/ yellow stuff) it means it's infected and that means you need it properly looked at and treated to make sure it doesn't get worse. If you call your GP surgery and explain they should be able to set you up with an appointment with a nurse, hopefully that same day.
    I know it can be hard to find time, but this is something you need to get seen to. At the very least go into a pharmacy tomorrow. Depending on how bad your finger is they may be able to help you and save you a trip to the nurse.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    If it’s infected (and it sounds like it is) you should make time ASAP before it gets worse.

I managed to lose most of my big toenail Boxing Day in an accident. After cutting it as much as possible I used an antiseptic spray and germolene. Then I put gauze over the nail area and a bandage secured with a plaster over the top. No infection even though it’s still not fully grown back yet.

ReputationRep:
    I washed it but it's still leaking and painful af
    (Original post by splrtgrt)
    That sounds infected yo.
    Did you wash it out immediately after? If not, now would be the best time to do so.
    Buy some antiseptic cream/spray asap.
    Only after doing that, should you apply a small bandage (not plaster), and change it regularly, washing out your wound each time.

I get this quite a lot as I have a habit of biting my nails, what you need to do is try and part the skin and the nail so there is almost like a cut in betwen where the pus is. Then squeeze as hard as you can so all the yellow stuff comes out, it will be painful for a while but this is the easiest way I have found of getting rid of the pain quickly.
    Sorry if this was badly explained but ask questions if I've missed something.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is coming out, except water like liquid, hurts like mad though
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I get this quite a lot as I have a habit of biting my nails, what you need to do is try and part the skin and the nail so there is almost like a cut in betwen where the pus is. Then squeeze as hard as you can so all the yellow stuff comes out, it will be painful for a while but this is the easiest way I have found of getting rid of the pain quickly.
    Sorry if this was badly explained but ask questions if I've missed something.

(Original post by Demi1239357)
    Nothing is coming out, except water like liquid, hurts like mad though
    In that case i would try and get to your GP as I wouldn't want to give information on here that may be wrong and lead to more harm to yourself

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.