Turn on thread page Beta

Is intelligence truly a turn off? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're thinking: "Isn't being intelligent and book smart an amazing quality?!" Well, yes, but sometimes I feel being labeled the smart one, the artist, the one who always dresses nice for school, attractive, straight A's and does her work all the time steers guys my age (junior in high school) away from me because I am somehow better than them or "intimidating"

ReputationRep:
    It must be your incredible humbleness that drives them away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    It must be your incredible humbleness that drives them away.
    Haha! Perhaps! I don't want to scare anyone away, I'm open to meeting people but don't want to hurt anyone when I know my place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadflower)
    I know what you're thinking: "Isn't being intelligent and book smart an amazing quality?!" Well, yes, but sometimes I feel being labeled the smart one, the artist, the one who always dresses nice for school, attractive, straight A's and does her work all the time steers guys my age (junior in high school) away from me because I am somehow better than them or "intimidating"
    I understand where you're coming from, but I honestly think if they're "intimidated" by you then they're not worth it. You should find a guy who's able to appreciate you, just my opinion haha.

ReputationRep:
    PREACH!!!! Only one guy has called me that word, lucky i stayed away From them after that. But I totally agree!
    (Original post by spumid)
    I understand where you're coming from, but I honestly think if they're "intimidated" by you then they're not worth it. You should find a guy who's able to appreciate you, just my opinion haha.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel sort of...

ReputationRep:
    PREACH!!!! Only one guy has called me that word, lucky i stayed away From them after that. But I totally agree!
    Exactly. Know your worth and don't settle for anything else! 🙌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baza2002)
    I know how you feel sort of...
    How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Good grief no. Do you want to go through life as stupid or intelligent. As intelligent you have choices.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    They could feel like you're wayyyy out of their league.

I wouldn't say it's worth hiding your achievements for (aka, dumbing yourself down and not being who you are). The easy thing to say is just get more sociable with similar people.

It's difficult to tell or not whether you're being boastful, that in itself is a big drive-away factor. I only say this because its very rare that anyone with a shred of modesty/humility will actually say "I'm attractive" to introduce themselves, as if it were an issue.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know?
    I am known as the smart one and get straight A's/7s (usually) and do my work all the time. I also steer people my age away from me but because I am quiet. The only difference is I don't do art and I'm not attractive.

ReputationRep:
    also do u watch rick and morty

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn’t worry. I’ve been in a similar position. My partner and I are now becoming future lawyers for some of the biggest and best firms in the world. You end up finding who’s right for you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YKnbVtHgSg

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I prefer women with the brainpower of a slug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splrtgrt)
    They could feel like you're wayyyy out of their league.

I wouldn't say it's worth hiding your achievements for (aka, dumbing yourself down and not being who you are). The easy thing to say is just get more sociable with similar people.

It's difficult to tell or not whether you're being boastful, that in itself is a big drive-away factor. I only say this because its very rare that anyone with a shred of modesty/humility will actually say "I'm attractive" to introduce themselves, as if it were an issue.
    Absolutely! Not in a boastful way at all! I've noticed that many peers dumb themselves down. Or I'm constantly asked for the homework, assignments,what's the answers? At the end of the day i feel used. Luckily I've managed a group of girls who are similar. By attractiveness its more of what I'm told "your pretty" "you're beautiful" that thing. And yes I love that show haha

ReputationRep:
    I wish you two luck on your journey!
    (Original post by captain__darling)
    I wouldn’t worry. I’ve been in a similar position. My partner and I are now becoming future lawyers for some of the biggest and best firms in the world. You end up finding who’s right for you.

ReputationRep:
    No.

But snobbery is (not saying you necessarily are).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Turn on but a massive turn off if coupled with arrogance.

Book smart:
    Doesnt make you good company.
    Doesnt make you wise.
    Doesnt make you nice.
    Doesnt make you street smart.

Great start, but there is a lot more to a person.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.