Turn on thread page Beta

What a levels should I take to become a social worker? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I really want to become a social worker particularly working within mental health and youth offending, here are what I’m thinking for a levels-
    Sociology
    psychology
    Politics
    English combined
    Law
    History
    I’m leaning towards sociology, psychology and politics but not really sure witch are the best to take and would appreciate your help,
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the ones you're leaning towards
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukem14)
    Hi I really want to become a social worker particularly working within mental health and youth offending, here are what I’m thinking for a levels-
    Sociology
    psychology
    Politics
    English combined
    Law
    History
    I’m leaning towards sociology, psychology and politics but not really sure witch are the best to take and would appreciate your help,
    Thanks!
    The subjects seem ideal for social work. Feel free to ask me questions about the subjects your leaning towards. As I am currently studying those!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I’ve looked into the politics a level but still not really sure what it fully involves

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I’ve looked into the politics a level but still not really sure what it fully involves
    Quote me, so I can notice your reply earlier.

Anyway, politics includes a range of topics. For Edexcel, I study: electoral system, (different ways votes + seats counted - different parties can win under different system) voting behaviour (how people vote), parliament, constitution (what makes up how the UK is run), democracy, political parties, relations between the institution (judiciary’s role etc, how it interlinks).

It is very content heavy but it’s very interesting! Would recommend! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elite360)
    Quote me, so I can notice your reply earlier.

Anyway, politics includes a range of topics. For Edexcel, I study: electoral system, (different ways votes + seats counted - different parties can win under different system) voting behaviour (how people vote), parliament, constitution (what makes up how the UK is run), democracy, political parties, relations between the institution (judiciary’s role etc, how it interlinks).

It is very content heavy but it’s very interesting! Would recommend! Good luck!
    Thanks so much also do you know if psychology involves a lot of science? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much also do you know if psychology involves a lot of science? Thank you!
    For AS Psychology, there are some aspects of science. For example genotype, phenotype, evolution theory, structure of neurones - what they do, nervous system - central nervous system and peripheral nervous system, synaptic transmission. But next year all of these topics will fall under biopsychology - this big topic is ultimately science. For example, you need to know all parts of the brain etc. Its not too much science for now, but make sure you know it well.

What subjects are you currently studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elite360)
    For AS Psychology, there are some aspects of science. For example genotype, phenotype, evolution theory, structure of neurones - what they do, nervous system - central nervous system and peripheral nervous system, synaptic transmission. But next year all of these topics will fall under biopsychology - this big topic is ultimately science. For example, you need to know all parts of the brain etc. Its not too much science for now, but make sure you know it well.

What subjects are you currently studying?
    Thank you and currently I'm doing my GCSE in IT, art, history, and sociology which is my favourite, I'm think of maybe doing an undergraduate degree in maybe psychology or criminology but some unis other both as a joint honours then maybe doing my masters in social work, not sure if that will work yet though

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.