The Student Room Group

Have I wasted my teenage years?

I'm currently in sixth year final year at secondary school and I feel like I've wasted the last 6 years of my life. I haven't built any long lasting friendships/relationships. I don't have a best friend or a boyfriend. I have 'friends' but not he type that you text or call when you need them, but the type that you talk about school with. I haven't been able to truly connect with someone, and I hate it! I scroll through insta/fb and I see people hanging out in the snow and going to parties or sleeping over and I'm jealous. I want to be able to build strong relationships.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently in sixth year final year at secondary school and I feel like I've wasted the last 6 years of my life. I haven't built any long lasting friendships/relationships. I don't have a best friend or a boyfriend. I have 'friends' but not he type that you text or call when you need them, but the type that you talk about school with. I haven't been able to truly connect with someone, and I hate it! I scroll through insta/fb and I see people hanging out in the snow and going to parties or sleeping over and I'm jealous. I want to be able to build strong relationships.

I’ve been in a situation just like yours. What i can say is that it gets better. You have college and university(if you want to go there) and your whole life ahead of you to make friends that’ll last and do things that you never thought you would. Sometimes things take time but you shouldn’t compare yourself to other people
(edited 6 years ago)
I didn't come into my own until University. I had friends, best friends sure at high school, but I was generall quiet, kept my head down, didn't often do parties and the like. University is a chance to basically be the version of yourself you wanted to be, there's no stigma following you, there's no prior knowledge of you. Absolutely the same can happen for you, just have to be open to the possibility.
how many people on here actually talk to people from school, once they leave?
small proportion will.
Reply 4
Original post by ireee
I’ve been in a situation just like yours. What i can say is that it gets better. You have college and university(if you want to go there) and your whole life ahead of you to make friends that’ll last and do things that you never thought you would. Sometimes things take time but you should compare yourself to other people

Thanks thats very encouraging, and I am planning to go to uni.
Reply 5

You’re still young. You’ll make long lasting friendships soon don’t worry.
wish i knew what a friend meant now :frown:
Reply 7

Did I write this last year and just post it today? You sound so much like me though being at uni is now much better.
I’m in a totally similar situation. However, the way I see it, I’m using the time between now and the start of uni to become the best version of myself, so in uni I can focus on having fun. In secondary it’s just a random bunch of peeps who live in the same area, but at uni people will be more likeminded and most will be starting with a clean state. So I’m just being patient and looking forward to meeting more people like me :smile: uni is for new things, and new friends! 🤗
Don't see it as a waste, I bet you've learned a lot about what you do and don't like in people and what you want from any type of relationship whether that be friendship or more. There's a lot of pressure to try and work everything out as a teenager but life keeps moving and you'll continue to learn so don't worry. Also, don't use what you see on Insta or Facebook as something to build your aspirations on, there's generally nothing natural about what people post online, it's basically a big look at me ego boost for the most part.
Original post by ireee
I’ve been in a situation just like yours. What i can say is that it gets better. You have college and university(if you want to go there) and your whole life ahead of you to make friends that’ll last and do things that you never thought you would. Sometimes things take time but you should compare yourself to other people

Sounds like that's exactly what she is doing, hence the jealousy.
Reply 11
Original post by Laomedeia
Sounds like that's exactly what she is doing, hence the jealousy.

Thanks for showing me the typo 😅 and that’s what I would do as well. When I deleted social media because I needed to focus on my a levels, my mental health improved because I didn’t have to see people appearing to be more social than me, people who go out more and I compare myself to other people much less now.
Original post by ireee
Thanks for showing me the typo 😅 and that’s what I would do as well. When I deleted social media because I needed to focus on my a levels, my mental health improved because I didn’t have to see people appearing to be more social than me, people who go out more and I compare myself to other people much less now.

That’s what I’ve done :smile: I’ve deleted all social media and heck it feels better. Made me realise how much time I’d waste just scrolling down a feed looking at things I didn’t care about
Reply 13
Original post by rainabridget
That’s what I’ve done :smile: I’ve deleted all social media and heck it feels better. Made me realise how much time I’d waste just scrolling down a feed looking at things I didn’t care about

Yh, the only thing is that I’m still distracting myself 😅😭
I remember sitting in high school, listening to some teacher explain to us that this was "the best years of our lives" and thinking "God, I really hope not..."
Original post by ireee
Yh, the only thing is that I’m still distracting myself 😅😭

Ugh yeah 😩 I’ll scroll through yt or TSR or just anything 😭 I’ll convince myself it’s all self care too lmao
Reply 16
Ugh yeah 😩 I’ll scroll through yt or TSR or just anything 😭 I’ll convince myself it’s all self care too lmao

You knoooow and I downloaded games 😂😂
Original post by ireee
You knoooow and I downloaded games 😂😂

Allows me to watch Netflix without a distraction tho 👀👀 and the adults are always impressed 😂
Reply 18
You've got your whole life ahead of you, OP. I really wouldn't worry about :h:
Reply 19
Allows me to watch Netflix without a distraction tho 👀👀 and the adults are always impressed 😂

I was watching Netflix just now 👀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending