Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 and considering a gap year. If I did have a gap year, I'd spend most of my time in Iceland working, but some parts of it in Spain. I'd thinking about applying to either Computer Science or Classics. Do unis prefer if you come straight from school? If I get an offer and decide to go gap year instead can I save the offer for later? whelp
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by unknown_usr)
    I'm in Year 12 and considering a gap year. If I did have a gap year, I'd spend most of my time in Iceland working, but some parts of it in Spain. I'd thinking about applying to either Computer Science or Classics. Do unis prefer if you come straight from school? If I get an offer and decide to go gap year instead can I save the offer for later? whelp
    You can ask to defer your offers (or apply for deferred entry from the start). Most universities will agree and are either indifferent to gap years or actively encourage them.

ReputationRep:
    Your gap year is a chance to give you experiences that you won't get from regular schooling, Universities will condone gap years because they give you a different perspective , that is however , if you've done something produvtive in the period
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by abhinair3004)
    Your gap year is a chance to give you experiences that you won't get from regular schooling, Universities will never condone gap years because they give you a different perspective , that is however , if you've done something produvtive in the period
    Most universities not only condone gap years they encourage them.

ReputationRep:
    Unis are almost always supportive of gap years (possible exception: maths degrees). You can apply for deferred entry or request when you get an offer.

Computer Science and Classics are very different courses. May be worth some additional time to make sure you are studying the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You can ask to defer your offers (or apply for deferred entry from the start). Most universities will agree and are either indifferent to gap years or actively encourage them.
    That's good news. So that means I can apply in October, get an offer, and then ask for it to be deferred so I can go the year after without having to reapply?

(Original post by abhinair3004)
    Your gap year is a chance to give you experiences that you won't get from regular schooling, Universities will never condone gap years because they give you a different perspective , that is however , if you've done something produvtive in the period
    I'm planning to spend all of it volunteering and working around Northern Europe and perhaps visiting places further afield. My main aim is to spend time outdoors and with the local people trying to pick up the language and culture.

(Original post by ajj2000)
    Unis are almost always supportive of gap years (possible exception: maths degrees). You can apply for deferred entry or request when you get an offer.

Computer Science and Classics are very different courses. May be worth some additional time to make sure you are studying the right thing.
    Yeah. I really love both subjects and I can't really decide which one to do. A gap year would probably help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Most universities not only condone gap years they encourage them.
    Sorry , I meant condone gap years , not "not condone" gap years

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to spend all of it volunteering and working around Northern Europe and perhaps visiting places further afield. My main aim is to spend time outdoors and with the local people trying to pick up the language and culture.
    That's good , it'll show you've grown as a person. Best of Luck!

ReputationRep:
    That's good news. So that means I can apply in October, get an offer, and then ask for it to be deferred so I can go the year after without having to reapply?

Yeah. I really love both subjects and I can't really decide which one to do. A gap year would probably help.
    You have to apply with deferred entry (there will be a deferred entry box when you are going through ucas) then the uni decided whether or not to give you an offer

ReputationRep:
    I've done a gap year working in Europe before going to uni.

You should do it only if you're gonna use the time productively getting some work experience. If you're gonna doss, go to uni first. Otherwise you'd find it harder to keep up with classes/assignments when all you've had year to forget all the stuff you learned at A Level, and the other guys went straight to uni when the stuff they need to know is still fresh in their head.

I don't think you can save this year's offer for later. If you don't apply this year you'd have to make a fresh application next year. Shouldn't be a prob if your final grades are tops as they'll give you an unconditional offer.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.