Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To discuss our 2018 applications! Grad cafe isn't easy to have conversations on!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    I received an acceptance mid feb, for Anthro PhD! Will definitely go IF I get funding :/ so nervous about it...
    What college have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm happy to find another Anthro person! I received my offer Feb 13th and have been checking grad cafe daily to keep up with anthro applicant updates and to see if anyone has heard about funding yet. If I get funding I will definitely go, if not it'll be a lot harder to make it work (would be moving with boyfriend and two dogs...). I was really unsure what college to pick as top choice - I ended up going with Harris Manchester because they were super friendly and helpful when I visited and it sounds like they have a great community. Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot when it comes to funding, but from what I understand they decide on funding and then change your college assignment if necessary. How about you? Have you heard from your college yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo6)
    Hi! I'm happy to find another Anthro person! I received my offer Feb 13th and have been checking grad cafe daily to keep up with anthro applicant updates and to see if anyone has heard about funding yet. If I get funding I will definitely go, if not it'll be a lot harder to make it work (would be moving with boyfriend and two dogs...). I was really unsure what college to pick as top choice - I ended up going with Harris Manchester because they were super friendly and helpful when I visited and it sounds like they have a great community. Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot when it comes to funding, but from what I understand they decide on funding and then change your college assignment if necessary. How about you? Have you heard from your college yet?
    Hey! I got mine on the 17th Feb, and same RE checking! I am trying not to read into the fact that I haven't yet heard about funding/college...I'm so nervous! I would be moving with boyfriend and two rabbits! I didn't visit, applied for St Johns, but we shall see...I think you're right about the funding, college doesn't matter that much! Have you heard from other applicants? What area of anthro did you apply for? And whats your background? So many Qs, I'm just happy to have found another anthro to freak out with :')

ReputationRep:
    Heads up in won’t let me separate paragraphs for some reason from my phone. I think having heard back about the acceptance early is probably a good thing! I wouldn’t be too worried about not having heard about funding yet - from the looks of it late March/first week of April is when most funding notifications are sent out (not that that makes me any less anxious 😂). St Johns was really high on my list but with how competitive they are I was too nervous to risk getting into a college I really wasn’t excited about if rejected from Johns. I wish they’d have let you list a first and second choice. I do know sometimes they totally disregard your college choice if you get a scholarship and put you at whatever college can partner in providing you funding (which I am 500% ok with). I’ve only seen responses from maybe two or max three other folks on grad cafe 😕. I’m bioanth, how about you? American student, BSci in Bioanth, MPhil from a top UK uni in archaeology, lots of research experience, a couple presentations and pubs, lots of past awards/scholarships. I’m already thinking way too far ahead but are you worried about finding housing with pets? It’s one of my biggest worries 😬 both of my dogs are medium sized, but are decently trained (one’s a certified volunteer therapy dog and the other an agility dog - though that doesn’t mean they’re not turds in their own right). I’m so happy to have found someone to freak out with too 😂 especially someone who is also doing the whole move with boyfriend and pets thing. Fingers crossed we’ll both be in Oxford come fall!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo6)
    Heads up in won’t let me separate paragraphs for some reason from my phone. I think having heard back about the acceptance early is probably a good thing! I wouldn’t be too worried about not having heard about funding yet - from the looks of it late March/first week of April is when most funding notifications are sent out (not that that makes me any less anxious 😂). St Johns was really high on my list but with how competitive they are I was too nervous to risk getting into a college I really wasn’t excited about if rejected from Johns. I wish they’d have let you list a first and second choice. I do know sometimes they totally disregard your college choice if you get a scholarship and put you at whatever college can partner in providing you funding (which I am 500% ok with). I’ve only seen responses from maybe two or max three other folks on grad cafe 😕. I’m bioanth, how about you? American student, BSci in Bioanth, MPhil from a top UK uni in archaeology, lots of research experience, a couple presentations and pubs, lots of past awards/scholarships. I’m already thinking way too far ahead but are you worried about finding housing with pets? It’s one of my biggest worries 😬 both of my dogs are medium sized, but are decently trained (one’s a certified volunteer therapy dog and the other an agility dog - though that doesn’t mean they’re not turds in their own right). I’m so happy to have found someone to freak out with too 😂 especially someone who is also doing the whole move with boyfriend and pets thing. Fingers crossed we’ll both be in Oxford come fall!!!
    No worries! I am so nervous about funding :'( To be honest I didn't give so much thought to the college...sounds like you did it the smart way! If they fund me they can put me wherever
    Oh cool! American-where was your undergrad? And which Masters Uni? I am bioanth/medanth! My undergrad was in Zoology from Leeds and masters in Anthro at UCL. I am worried about the pets thing (praying its something I can worry about!) but less as they're rabbits...might be tricky with dogs, but I genuinely have no idea! Fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo6)
    That’s how I feel about college allocation too - give me funding and I couldn’t care less!

My undergrad was at Emory University and the MPhil at Cambridge. I just want to fast forward three weeks and know about funding already 😞. The sooner I know the sooner I can move forward (if I’m so lucky) with Visa for myself and the boyfriend, him finding a job, figuring out housing and the move, etc.

Is your research focus going to be more medanth or bioanth? I’m in the human evolution/primatology realm.
    Cool! My goodness I couldn't agree more! Its probably more medanth, although my masters was definitely in human evo/primatology! What was your thesis on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explore44)
    Cool! My goodness I couldn't agree more! Its probably more medanth, although my masters was definitely in human evo/primatology! What was your thesis on?
    I'll direct message you =)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.