Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

I understand up to 6y2 + 3y - 4y - 3y2 - 3y2 + 12y but it is the ordering in the third line that troubles me.

Why hasn't + 12y taken priority over + 3y and - 4y? To me it makes sense for it to be 6y2 - 3y2 - 3y2 + 12y - 4y + 3y as this would reach 11y as well so I am confused.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean the order that each of the terms are in then the order doesn't matter and doesn't have an effect on the answer. They've written it in that's order because they've just done it in order of how things work outback on the first line. But you say you get 11y as the answer anyway, which it is so there's no problem in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon6789)

I understand up to 6y2 + 3y - 4y - 3y2 - 3y2 + 12y but it is the ordering in the third line that troubles me.

Why hasn't + 12y taken priority over + 3y and - 4y? To me it makes sense for it to be 6y2 - 3y2 - 3y2 + 12y - 4y + 3y as this would reach 11y as well so I am confused.
    The reason why he wrote the terms in that way is because he groups the terms from highest order starting from the left (Order means power). No matter how which way you write it, it will still give you the answer, just that he has decided to work his way from the left

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.