Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for inspiration for coursework texts. Can anyone recommend me a novel which has juicy techniques and deep themes? Also, for anyone who studies it, what's your favourite set text? Mine is The Picture of Dorian Gray

ReputationRep:
    My modern prose for comparison with Frankenstein is Never Let Me Go by Kashuo Ishiguro. It's all about what it means to be human and the morality of science/intervention with natural orders. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I did my A level coursework comparing The Picture of Dorian Gray with Frankenstein. There's interesting themes in Frankenstein from a gendered perspective such as masculinity, the role of 'motherhood', the silent female and how gender is constructed with regards to the creature. And also in terms of form i.e. narrative, epistolary fiction and metafiction. And it's also quite an easy text to comprehend and analyse for coursework purposes. Jane Eyre is also a good novel but a bit longer with a variety of themes and symbolism. You could look at the whole 'madwoman in the attic' criticism with Bertha Mason, Postcolonialism, the function of the novel as a Bildungsroman, and theories surrounding Jane's 'dual' identity. There are loads but these are the ones my teachers said would be good to use to hit all the mark scheme requirements etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    I'm looking for inspiration for coursework texts. Can anyone recommend me a novel which has juicy techniques and deep themes? Also, for anyone who studies it, what's your favourite set text? Mine is The Picture of Dorian Gray
    For my coursework I ended up looking at, 'The Metamorphosis; The Transformation of Gregor Samsa' and 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

"Compare and contrast the ways Kafka and Wilde present moral attitudes towards social class in 'The Metamorphosis' and in 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' respectively."

Concentrating on moral attitudes allows you to segway into some interesting contextual information and debate some philosophical issues and social constructs of the time. I would recommend on 'traditional' texts as you can show to whoever is marking it your understanding of historical influences on individual attitudes and their impact on the text in question, further allowing you to discuss representations of characters. Not only that but you can find a little more critical approaches and revision.

I knew from the start of the year however that I wanted to explore Kafka as he created his own genre 'Kafkaesque' writing, which is submerged in surrealism and nihilism.

Feel free to dm to ask any questions, however keep in mind that I was the first year to be on the new spec so there was little information about practice questions and so on (however from what I've heard the new specification, the coursework seems to be the similairly weighted in the amount of marks as I heard they fiddled around with some of the marks??).

Spoiler:
    Show

I ended up with a B in coursework half and A* in exam=A overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandamaker)
    For my coursework I ended up looking at, 'The Metamorphosis; The Transformation of Gregor Samsa' and 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

"Compare and contrast the ways Kafka and Wilde present moral attitudes towards social class in 'The Metamorphosis' and in 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' respectively."

Concentrating on moral attitudes allows you to segway into some interesting contextual information and debate some philosophical issues and social constructs of the time. I would recommend on 'traditional' texts as you can show to whoever is marking it your understanding of historical influences on individual attitudes and their impact on the text in question, further allowing you to discuss representations of characters. Not only that but you can find a little more critical approaches and revision.

I knew from the start of the year however that I wanted to explore Kafka as he created his own genre 'Kafkaesque' writing, which is submerged in surrealism and nihilism.

Feel free to dm to ask any questions, however keep in mind that I was the first year to be on the new spec so there was little information about practice questions and so on (however from what I've heard the new specification, the coursework seems to be the similairly weighted in the amount of marks as I heard they fiddled around with some of the marks??).

Spoiler:
    Show

I ended up with a B in coursework half and A* in exam=A overall.

Ahh cool, I've read a bit of The Metamorphosis, it looks so interesting! But unfortunately my exam board only allows texts which were originally written in English And that's a good point, I definitely need to look for something which has lots of contextual things to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasadanfabbae)
    I did my A level coursework comparing The Picture of Dorian Gray with Frankenstein. There's interesting themes in Frankenstein from a gendered perspective such as masculinity, the role of 'motherhood', the silent female and how gender is constructed with regards to the creature. And also in terms of form i.e. narrative, epistolary fiction and metafiction. And it's also quite an easy text to comprehend and analyse for coursework purposes. Jane Eyre is also a good novel but a bit longer with a variety of themes and symbolism. You could look at the whole 'madwoman in the attic' criticism with Bertha Mason, Postcolonialism, the function of the novel as a Bildungsroman, and theories surrounding Jane's 'dual' identity. There are loads but these are the ones my teachers said would be good to use to hit all the mark scheme requirements etc.
    Thank you so much! I'll read Jane Eyre next, it looks interesting and I feel like it has lots of contextual things to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    I did my coursework on Beloved and A StreetCar Named Desire
    My question was compare and contrast the presentation of masculinity in beloved and ASND

Beloved is about Slavery it’s set in post reconstruction era in America x interesting books with lots to analyse x
    It’s more challenging then ASND
    ASND is about a woman who is raped x it’s all about the falls of social classes etc very interesting also set in America
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    Ahh cool, I've read a bit of The Metamorphosis, it looks so interesting! But unfortunately my exam board only allows texts which were originally written in English And that's a good point, I definitely need to look for something which has lots of contextual things to talk about.
    Oh no that sucks! Well I wish you nothing but the best, I'm sure you'll do great

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.