Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    I'd like to ask if anyone of you know anything about the medical program offered at Newcastle University?
    I've applied to the Newcastle University Medicine-Malaysia, but they've said on their website that graduates get the same certificate like the one graduates from the UK campus get.
    The fees are really high, and there are no scholarships or financial aids offered to students of my nationality, so is worth the money?
    I don't think I'll find anyone from my country there or even a non-Malaysian student. do you have any ideas or thoughts about that?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mohamed Elmarasi)
    Hello guys,
    I'd like to ask if anyone of you know anything about the medical program offered at Newcastle University?
    I've applied to the Newcastle University Medicine-Malaysia, but they've said on their website that graduates get the same certificate like the one graduates from the UK campus get.
    The fees are really high, and there are no scholarships or financial aids offered to students of my nationality, so is worth the money?
    I don't think I'll find anyone from my country there or even a non-Malaysian student. do you have any ideas or thoughts about that?
    Are you asking about the campus in Malaysia or in Newcastle? Because I think the main difference is in housemanship after you graduate. I'll provide more information after clarification.

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    Yes, the degree is recognizable in both malaysia medical council and the general medical council.
    However, the barrier is just getting the visa to apply to the UK to get the housemanship. (which is usually if they are undersubscribed for the foundation programme)

I do encourage applying directly to UK since the fees are similiar and you wont have the hassle of visa issues when applying for the foundation programme.

ReputationRep:
    Blazingphoenix Thank you for your reply. I'm asking about the Malaysian campus.

ReputationRep:
    Jckc123 Thank you for your reply and provided information. Do you know if there any possibility that I can transfer to the UK campus during my course?
    My situation is quite complicated; I missed the UCAS deadline because I didn't know about it any earlier. So, I searched on the internet if there are any UK unis with campuses abroad offering a medicine programme, and found Newcastle University in Malaysia

ReputationRep:
    Is Newcastle University a big name to add in my CV? I mean does it have that good reputation in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Is Newcastle University a big name to add in my CV? I mean does it have that good reputation in the UK?
    For medicine it doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    Blazingphoenix Thank you for your reply. I'm asking about the Malaysian campus.
    Okay. So essentially, the curriculum in both are exactly the same, and you will qualify with a degree awarded by Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK. You can read about it on the website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/numed/study/und...courseoverview
    and on their brochure here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacu...2018%20web.pdf

The only caution I can say is that the course information on the website is a year out-dated. I don't think the pregnant women study is done anymore and has been replaced.

As mentioned before, housemanship might present a problem at the Malaysian campus if you are non-malaysian. You should check prior to applying if your country will accept a degree from Newcastle University before applying. The degree is definitely accepted in UK, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and India, otherwise you have to check yourself. Even then, you are not guaranteed housemanship in these countries. Anywhere you apply would be subject to visa allowance and other circumstances.

Do you know if there any possibility that I can transfer to the UK campus during my course?
    My situation is quite complicated; I missed the UCAS deadline because I didn't know about it any earlier. So, I searched on the internet if there are any UK unis with campuses abroad offering a medicine programme, and found Newcastle University in Malaysia
    You cannot TRANSFER to the UK campus, however you can complete SOME of your studies in the UK. This is usually in 4th year as part of the elective I think. I met some students who were stationed at my local hospital during the summer holidays.

There is also talk of an exchange for 2nd year for one semester, though this is not confirmed yet.

There is nothing stopping you from waiting until the next UCAS cycle. Bart's also has a campus abroad in Malta, though I am not as informed on that.

A medical degree is a medical degree.

ReputationRep:
    Jckc123 Thank you for your reply and provided information. Do you know if there any possibility that I can transfer to the UK campus during my course?
    As what blazing phoenix mentioned, you can only transfer for a semester during the last 2 years or something.
    ill recommend IMU twinning programme which allows you to transfer over to a uk medical school after 2and a half year. its worth having a look.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.