Turn on thread page Beta

Do boys find girls more attractive with or without makeup? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    I have plenty of people on Facebook who have kids. People are constantly commenting on their posts saying how cute their kids are regardless of whether they're a boy or a girl. This whole "people on comment on how cute girls are" is bs, and it's the sort of crap feminists come out with to make their points seem valid despite the fact that they have no actual evidence that what they're saying is true.

And everyone gets judged on their appearance. That's how society works. You can go crying that it only happens to women as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that people judge people based on appearance, regardless of gender.
    Where did I say this only happens to women? The question was about women so, crazy I know, I answered about women. Guys have all sorts of pressures, including how they look. The reasons behind why men care about their appearance wasn’t a question that was asked, and it isn’t one I feel qualified to answer so I didn’t answer it.

You’re just making problems here, clearly this is a touchy subject for you and you’ve interpreted it wrong. Someone asked why women care about their appearance, I answered with some examples of why they do. If you disagree then you’re entitled to that opinion, but don’t go twisting my words into some kind of misanderist propaganda that it isn’t.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    1) not a feminist

why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George____t)
    why not?
    Don’t want to derail the thread into a feminism debate, but mostly because it’s disorganised. Everyone has their own beliefs of what “feminism” is, there’s no real structure to what they believe. Some feminists hate all men, some want women to be above men, some want everyone to be equal, and they all shout “fake feminist” at each other from behind their computers. I don’t feel inclined to get involved in something so problematic. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say this only happens to women? The question was about women so, crazy I know, I answered about women. Guys have all sorts of pressures, including how they look. The reasons behind why men care about their appearance wasn’t a question that was asked, and it isn’t one I feel qualified to answer so I didn’t answer it.

You’re just making problems here, clearly this is a touchy subject for you and you’ve interpreted it wrong. Someone asked why women care about their appearance, I answered with some examples of why they do. If you disagree then you’re entitled to that opinion, but don’t go twisting my words into some kind of misanderist propaganda that it isn’t.
    I haven't interpreted anything wrong you literally said those things in the original post I quoted. I've quoted them again below because you obviously have a very short memory.

Top tip: If you're going to try and backtrack over what you've said. Delete the evidence that you said it first.

Parents tell their little girls that they’re “the most beautiful girl in the world” and other parents comment on how cute she is. They tell little boys that they’re good at what they’re doing and encourage them to be active and “be boys”. From a young age it’s made clear that beauty is our greatest asset, and is reaffirmed throughout our lives by loved ones and strangers alike.
    This statement is clearly claiming that people only call little girls cute and tell little boys that they're good at what they're doing. This is simply not true as evidenced by my comment about photos on Facebook and you have no evidence to support this.

Being conscious of how we look is part of our lives and how we’ve grown up. Beautiful girls have to fight to be taken seriously and respected as an intellectual person, “ugly” girls have to fight to get the attention of people to listen to what they have to say.

We’re rated out of ten from irrelevant to eye-candy, then asked why we care about our position on the scale that measures how much people value us.
    You don't explicitly state this but it is clear that you're implying in this statement that this problem is unique to women.

One of the best games is when a guy compliments you and you say “true” or “I know, thanks” and they act like you just set them on fire.
    Agreeing with someone who compliments your appearance is arrogant and no one likes an arrogant person.

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing with someone who compliments your appearance is arrogant and no one likes an arrogant person.
    I “literally” said things but you say “This statement is clearly claiming” and “you don’t explicitly state this but it’s clear you’re implying” that doesn’t look like I am “Literally” saying anything. That’s your interpretation.

In my experience from being a female child and knowing many others who have previously been female children, it’s a real thing people complimenting little girls on being cute and protect that about them, e.g. getting told to not play with the boys because you’ll get your dress dirty. Reaching 11-12 and girls are encouraged to shave their legs or you get made fun of in PE. “Girls toys” being make up and hairdressing heads, even in play there are undertones of appearance. Of course this isn’t the same for everyone, and no where am I implying that. It’s something that CAN contribute to girls caring about their appearance. (You know, the question that was asked)

No, I wasn’t implying that this problem is unique to women. I was answering a question about women hence my answer being about women, which somehow you’ve interpreted as an attack on men?

Idgaf if people don’t like arrogance, if someone compliments me on my hair being nice I’ll say “thanks! It took me hours and I took hundreds of selfies when I was done because I look bomb”. If I spend time on my appearance, and agree with a compliment i’m arrogant? If I won a swimming competition and someone complimented me on it I wouldn’t say “no, I was rubbish, I only won through luck” that’d be dumb. So why if i’m complimented on my appearance should I act like I’m not happy with my appearance? Such a strange concept. We agree with compliments about everything else so this idea that we have to put ourselves down when we get compliments is so dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Idgaf if people don’t like arrogance, if someone compliments me on my hair being nice I’ll say “thanks! It took me hours and I took hundreds of selfies when I was done because I look bomb”. If I spend time on my appearance, and agree with a compliment i’m arrogant? If I won a swimming competition and someone complimented me on it I wouldn’t say “no, I was rubbish, I only won through luck” that’d be dumb. So why if i’m complimented on my appearance should I act like I’m not happy with my appearance? Such a strange concept. We agree with compliments about everything else so this idea that we have to put ourselves down when we get compliments is so dumb.
    Just say "thanks", if someone compliments your hair and you spent ages doing it then you can say something like "thanks! It took me ages doing it and I'm so happy with how it turned out". But just saying "true" or "I know" is arrogant, especially if someone comments on your general appearance (ie. "you're beautiful") is arrogant because it had f*ck all to do with you, it's just how you were born. Comparing it to swimming is ridiculous because people have trained hard to become a top swimmer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do boys find girls more attractive with or without makeup?
    For me it doesn't matter as long as the girl has a nice personality and/or has similar interests to me. If I had to choose I would say without makeup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hraaami)
    Girls with makeup are fine as long as is nots caked on. Too much makeup is a definite turn off
    Yes, agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I was meaning “we” as “we women” but I do get more positive comments on my appearance than negative, spent years hating myself and how I look but now i’m comfortable in it and act confident! I’m cute and owning it. :yep: best tip is fake it ‘till you make it.

One of the best games is when a guy compliments you and you say “true” or “I know, thanks” and they act like you just set them on fire. Attachment 728750
    (thats an example off google but it seriously works, some guys get so mad that you aren’t insecure)
    As long as the "thanks" is there, most guys will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    It often feels like the most important thing about you in the eyes of others. I find on here that people comment on my appearance rather than what i’m saying when it has nothing to do with the topic. I’ll make a relevant and thought through comment, wanting a debate or a different view point, and hit back with “u got snap?”.
    Pretty girls get treated a lot better, and are generally valued higher by society. It’s unfair but that’s life.

We’re asked why we value appearance but are surrounded by unattainable beauty in the media, advertisements telling you to buy something to look better, people commenting on your looks. Parents tell their little girls that they’re “the most beautiful girl in the world” and other parents comment on how cute she is. They tell little boys that they’re good at what they’re doing and encourage them to be active and “be boys”. From a young age it’s made clear that beauty is our greatest asset, and is reaffirmed throughout our lives by loved ones and strangers alike.

Being conscious of how we look is part of our lives and how we’ve grown up. Beautiful girls have to fight to be taken seriously and respected as an intellectual person, “ugly” girls have to fight to get the attention of people to listen to what they have to say.

We’re rated out of ten from irrelevant to eye-candy, then asked why we care about our position on the scale that measures how much people value us.
    I genuinely nearly snorted out my coffee at this! *insert chain of facebook laugh emojis*

Even as what I like to think of myself as a genuinely nice guy, who tries to treat everyone equally and based of off their actions, until they prove they deserve more or less, I would be lying if I said my behavior was exactly the same around girls I'm highly attracted to. I instantly become hyper-aware of every physical queue I'm giving off, be it posture, tonality, facial expression, and even though I'm highly conscious of the fact I'm doing it, its a deeply subconscious reaction that I absolutely cannot turn off and have to fight really hard to control. I guess millennia of evolution are to blame for that, but whilst I would say I'm pretty good at treating people based on their character across all spectrums of attractiveness, I definitely act a little differently around girls I'm really attracted to.

I'd say (unfortunately) women are judged on their attractiveness by a lot of people when it comes to pretty much anything in life- be it dating (obviously), but also in work environments and when it comes to academic/intellectual achievements not otherwise linked to their attractiveness. Men too are highly judged by women on their looks when it comes to dating/sexual relationships, and better good looking men are definitely treated better by others in all walks in life, but I'd say their looks are considered far less so when it comes to things like work/academic achievement.

To answer the question in the OP, pretty much all girls look better with carefully done, "natural" looking makeup as a minimum, that's literally the point of it- to enhance skin complexion, emphasize and draw attention to certain features (eyes, lips). But its definitely possible to go too far and have very artificial looking/badly applied makeup that just detracts.

ReputationRep:
    I “literally” said things but you say “This statement is clearly claiming” and “you don’t explicitly state this but it’s clear you’re implying” that doesn’t look like I am “Literally” saying anything. That’s your interpretation.

In my experience from being a female child and knowing many others who have previously been female children, it’s a real thing people complimenting little girls on being cute and protect that about them, e.g. getting told to not play with the boys because you’ll get your dress dirty. Reaching 11-12 and girls are encouraged to shave their legs or you get made fun of in PE. “Girls toys” being make up and hairdressing heads, even in play there are undertones of appearance. Of course this isn’t the same for everyone, and no where am I implying that. It’s something that CAN contribute to girls caring about their appearance. (You know, the question that was asked)

No, I wasn’t implying that this problem is unique to women. I was answering a question about women hence my answer being about women, which somehow you’ve interpreted as an attack on men?

I know you said earlier about boys being encouraged to 'be boys' and girls only being talked about being cute or being the 'prettiest girl there is' and being told not to go out and play because their clothes would become dirty. I don't understand why people have this attitude that girls are only valuable for their appearance. Do you know why?

I haven't interpreted anything wrong you literally said those things in the original post I quoted. I've quoted them again below because you obviously have a very short memory.

Lol, wtf why? I don't get why guys want us to die of shame if they compliment us and we agree/thank them for it :laugh:

So do you mean you are complimenting us just to pretend then? Sorry boo, we don't need the validation from you to make us feel precious. And if you do notice and complement us, thats sweet so we are gonna say thanks. But its not like you made our day, or our week and that we owe you a debt of gratitude and happiness so we are gonna have to die in shame now and cower to whatever you want henceforth. Lol

ReputationRep:
    I prefer no makeup or light, "natural" make up. I've seen girls who look "natural" but wear tons of make up (and they look incredible) so this is why I am not as dismissive of makeup as I used to be.

That said, my ex-gf looked the best when she didn't wear make up at all. Especially in the morning when she was well rested and a bit sleepy. Amazing...

Too bad she is Beelzebub incarnate.

ReputationRep:
    Would rather have a girl be natural (Idm eyeliner or lip balm tho or whatever it was) I think girls think guys don't know how much a makeup a girl has but they do. From 16-24 it's just about hooking up with them rather than having a real a relationship with caked up girls or the one so you can see they'd look different. I mostly see little or natural girls within relationship with some of ma friends

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that girls need makeup to look cute. I know loads of girls that look better without makeup. But that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    1) not a feminist

You've rejected feminism?

Your market value just shot up,
    it's a good thing i'm not drunk surfing right now ...or I might be joining the "what's your snap?" crew ............lol :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    You've rejected feminism?

Your market value just shot up,
    it's a good thing i'm not drunk surfing right now ...or I might be joining the "what's your snap?" crew ............lol :laugh:
    I haven’t ever really identified as one, I have similar views on a few things but i’m well past the days of tumblr sjw-ing hahaha. Its much easier to not label your views than defend someone else’s that you don’t 100% know or agree with! :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    With

ReputationRep:
    lipstick and whatever the thing is that makes eyes look wider, foundation makes me feel ill.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the guys saying girls without makeup look better, they're talking about women who are generally 8 or 9s out of ten, whilst a lot of girls who wear makeup often are 6 or 7s without makeup. If you take your makeup off, these guys won't even look at you so either way we can't win because with makeup we're "caked", without makeup we're "ugly".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.