The Student Room Group

Law with Spanish Language, Hull or Liverpool?

My son has applied to study Law with Spanish, Predicted BBB. He can't decide if he should take his unconditional from Hull or try and get into Liverpool. He really liked both Universities for different reasons! Also holding offers from Sussex, Leicester & Swansea. Any advice appreciated!
Original post by LKB1
My son has applied to study Law with Spanish, Predicted BBB. He can't decide if he should take his unconditional from Hull or try and get into Liverpool. He really liked both Universities for different reasons! Also holding offers from Sussex, Leicester & Swansea. Any advice appreciated!

Liverpool is in the Russell Group, but is low ranked.

He should draw up a pros and cons and talk to a few students from each. he can have a great time at both. I don't think being in the RG is going to make much difference, but they can always get employment data.

They should also back themselves rather than be swayed by the unconditional part and get the best A levels possible. It is up to them but I'd prefer that aspect didnt sway me.

He is only going to do UG once, so if he isnt sure, then just get the best A levels he can and if needed take a gap and reapply the following year. Both are good unis imo.
this use of unconditional offers is IMO a sleazy tactic, I think it's going to be getting a severe looking at
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/12/14/universities-accused-making-mockery-a-levels-following-huge/
- Hull is worried that your son will go somewhere better and is trying to lock him in.

If he really likes Hull, he'll probably get in anyway if he wants to... just try to make sure he's not being swayed by the unconditional bribe offer.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Liverpool is in the Russell Group, but is low ranked.

He should draw up a pros and cons and talk to a few students from each. he can have a great time at both. I don't think being in the RG is going to make much difference, but they can always get employment data.

They should also back themselves rather than be swayed by the unconditional part and get the best A levels possible. It is up to them but I'd prefer that aspect didnt sway me.

He is only going to do UG once, so if he isnt sure, then just get the best A levels he can and if needed take a gap and reapply the following year. Both are good unis imo.

Thanks for your reply! pro's and cons leave us with a similar outlook! I think its going to be a really tough choice! I think a year out could be a good option !
Original post by LKB1
Thanks for your reply! pro's and cons leave us with a similar outlook! I think its going to be a really tough choice! I think a year out could be a good option !

Never a bad option and visit again if that confused plus take a friend or two. Get the grades and then you have choice. If they do well then even more unis can open up. A gap year can be used to make money. Exams should really be the focus now.
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
this use of unconditional offers is IMO a sleazy tactic, I think it's going to be getting a severe looking at
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/12/14/universities-accused-making-mockery-a-levels-following-huge/
- Hull is worried that your son will go somewhere better and is trying to lock him in.

If he really likes Hull, he'll probably get in anyway if he wants to... just try to make sure he's not being swayed by the unconditional bribe offer.

Completely agree with you ! I know a lot of students opting for the unconditional this year! Thankfully I have done a fair bit of research into this and can see the problems! My son had already decided he loved Hull before the offer so hopefully that is not swaying him!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending