The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Postgraduate Entry 2018

Hiya,
I couldn't find many generic posts about postgraduates entering in September 2018. I'm moving from mainland to do an MA in Anthropology, I was just wondering who else was looking to do a masters at Queens and what in? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and gets back to you :h:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Congrats! I've sent my application and hopefully waiting for a positive reply. How long did you wait before getting an offer?
Reply 3
Original post by Este___
Congrats! I've sent my application and hopefully waiting for a positive reply. How long did you wait before getting an offer?

Good luck! I applied on the 2nd of Feb and recieved my offer on the 9th!
I've been offered a place on the MSc In Animal Behaviour and Welfare so I'll be moving up from the Republic of Ireland in September! Should be an interesting year
Reply 5
Original post by KnickKnack
I've been offered a place on the MSc In Animal Behaviour and Welfare so I'll be moving up from the Republic of Ireland in September! Should be an interesting year

Congratulations! Are you excited!?
Original post by mononoke_
Congratulations! Are you excited!?

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it! I'm still waiting for my the conditional aspect of it to get resolved (lots of running between the two colleges) but I'm very excited about moving up and getting stuck in :biggrin:

Looking forward to the anthropology yourself?
Reply 7
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it! I'm still waiting for my the conditional aspect of it to get resolved (lots of running between the two colleges) but I'm very excited about moving up and getting stuck in :biggrin:

Looking forward to the anthropology yourself?

Oh? What's happening are they just not communicating? I take it you're going straight from undergrad into masters?

I'm nervous, I didn't do anthropology as my undergraduate degree, I actually did archaeology so I think it'll be challenging but very worthwhile! Do you get a placement in the MSc?
Oh? What's happening are they just not communicating? I take it you're going straight from undergrad into masters?

I'm nervous, I didn't do anthropology as my undergraduate degree, I actually did archaeology so I think it'll be challenging but very worthwhile! Do you get a placement in the MSc?

Yeah I'm going straight from undergrad to post-grad so they wanted copies of my transcripts once my results came out. Now they want a copy of my actual degree which won't be conferred til November so I'm trying to get my college to write an official letter stating as much for me instead. It should all be grand I hope, it's just a bit of running around!

Sounds good! They're fairly related disciplines anyway, so you probably have a better grasp of the subject already than you might expect :smile: We can choose between a placement or a research project for our course, is it similar for yours?
Reply 9
Yeah I'm going straight from undergrad to post-grad so they wanted copies of my transcripts once my results came out. Now they want a copy of my actual degree which won't be conferred til November so I'm trying to get my college to write an official letter stating as much for me instead. It should all be grand I hope, it's just a bit of running around!

Sounds good! They're fairly related disciplines anyway, so you probably have a better grasp of the subject already than you might expect :smile: We can choose between a placement or a research project for our course, is it similar for yours?

bit of an ache that, I get my transcripts in July and thank god - I applied for halls and i didn't want to risk missing out late should I have to graduate in like, november haha. No we don't get a placement - is it just the one year your course then?
bit of an ache that, I get my transcripts in July and thank god - I applied for halls and i didn't want to risk missing out late should I have to graduate in like, november haha. No we don't get a placement - is it just the one year your course then?

I've applied for halls anyway, I think you're guaranteed a place if it's your first time in Belfast (undergrad or post-grad), if you're not from NI yourself! Not sure if I'll actually take the room though, there's some beautiful rooms available privately in houseshares for a fraction of the price and none of the bs that goes with student halls.

Yeah the course is just 1 year! Seems really fast for an MSc but it's fairly jam packed so it'll be a bit of a whirlwind I expect :smile:

What part of the mainland are ya moving from? Have you been to Belfast before? It's a fab little city, really compact. I'm debating even bringing the car cause I probably won't need it unless I get work somewhere very inaccessible and remote
Reply 11
I've applied for halls anyway, I think you're guaranteed a place if it's your first time in Belfast (undergrad or post-grad), if you're not from NI yourself! Not sure if I'll actually take the room though, there's some beautiful rooms available privately in houseshares for a fraction of the price and none of the bs that goes with student halls.

Yeah the course is just 1 year! Seems really fast for an MSc but it's fairly jam packed so it'll be a bit of a whirlwind I expect :smile:

What part of the mainland are ya moving from? Have you been to Belfast before? It's a fab little city, really compact. I'm debating even bringing the car cause I probably won't need it unless I get work somewhere very inaccessible and remote

I'm a bit funny about cleaning and I thought itd be best to get a studio or small bed in the new halls bang slap in the city centre.

Your MSc sounds intense but super hands on and really cool.

I did my undergrad in Leicester & split my time between Luton and Northampton; my boyfriend is Northern Irish and I've been a few times, I really like the city and how close everything is, i made the city hall to campus walk in 20 minutes, very impressed! I feel like if you get free parking wherever you are then it might be nice to bring the car so you can get out of Belfast for a bit and go to the coast (not that you have to go far).
I'll be starting the MSc in Animal Behaviour and Welfare in September as well :smile: and my undergrad is in Archaeology too, so I'll be coming from a very different background! Moving up from Dublin with the boyfriend so hoping to find an apartment together :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by emily_moo
I'll be starting the MSc in Animal Behaviour and Welfare in September as well :smile: and my undergrad is in Archaeology too, so I'll be coming from a very different background! Moving up from Dublin with the boyfriend so hoping to find an apartment together :smile:

This is so weird! you're like a mash up of both myself and Knickknack; I haven't found anyone else doing MA Anthropology on here :frown:, Are you and your boyfriend super excited?
This is so weird! you're like a mash up of both myself and Knickknack; I haven't found anyone else doing MA Anthropology on here :frown:, Are you and your boyfriend super excited?

Yeah, we both can't wait! :smile: Hopefully there will be someone else doing Anthropology soon here, it sounds really interesting :smile:
Sounds like we all have very different backgrounds, should be pretty interesting! Mine is in veterinary nursing, so I'm hoping to find work in practice while I'm studying :biggrin:
Reply 16
You sound like you've got a plan, I am envious; I'll need to get a part-time job (probs in retail) lol, so less exciting. I am a bit nervous about postgraduate life tbh, I've heard it can get quite lonely
You sound like you've got a plan, I am envious; I'll need to get a part-time job (probs in retail) lol, so less exciting. I am a bit nervous about postgraduate life tbh, I've heard it can get quite lonely

Ah sure at least you'll have your bf with ya in Belfast when you move! I've heard PhD life can get long and lonely alright but most people I know who've done masters (particularly taught ones) have really embraced and enjoyed the experience! It's all about finding a balance with activities outside of the course as well :smile:

How long is your course?
Have been accepted onto my course and have been given my room! Was wondering if anyone else has been allocated a room yet? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by PostLouz
Have been accepted onto my course and have been given my room! Was wondering if anyone else has been allocated a room yet? :smile:

I don't graduate until Tuesday and so haven't been officially accepted so i don't know ;;, what accomodation did you go for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending