Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    those are obviously terrible but normal trainers (which pretty much everyone owns) aren't going to do a real beginner too much damage for a while so OP could get started

I wouldn't recommend new urnners get proper shoes to begin with cos most give up... obviously anyone sticking with running should buy running specific shoes, but you don't have to spend a lot on them if you shop around for a bargain, my last pair cost <£40 (and I'm not buying crappy shoes! they were brooks adrenaline, full price is like £120 or something) and I've only spent more than £60 twice and I've been running for like 10 years
    True. I have just picked up a pair on Amazon for something like £20. They're Brookes Ghost. They're a few years old and I seem to remember there's virtually no difference between the current model and the ones from a few years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Expose the new world orders plan for domination so you have to spend the rest of your life running from the illuminati... you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    True. I have just picked up a pair on Amazon for something like £20. They're Brookes Ghost. They're a few years old and I seem to remember there's virtually no difference between the current model and the ones from a few years ago.
    nice deal

yeah I've been running in Brookes adrenaline for 5-6 years now and there are small differences between models but the basic principles (whether it's a stability shoe etc) and fit tend to be the same so you don't buy the next pair and suddenly get horrible blisters!

ReputationRep:
    If you need low impact workouts to avoid the neighbours complaining, go to fitnessblender.com/videos and you can filter through their workouts to find something that works. You can also filter based on video length, what equipment you have (if any), etc.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I need to find a way to keep fit without any costs at all, that is not hazardous to health.

Thanks
    Walk everywhere you can.

ReputationRep:
    Shoplift. Not only do you get free food, but also fitter from running away from store security.

ReputationRep:
    Go for a run in a park that has one of those outdoor trail gyms - problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise at home... and go for longish walks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I need to find a way to keep fit without any costs at all, that is not hazardous to health.

Thanks
    Depending on your diet:
    Long grain value rice and value pasta. You can get 500g of rice for 42p.

Go to Aldi, they sell some very cheap veg + fruit.

Visit Farmfoods and Iceland to see which is the cheapest and buy frozen chicken breast fillets for protein.

Consider buying Weetabix Protein or the value alternatives (fibre-rich which will help make you feel full for longer).

Morrison's sell their own brand protein-rich bread rolls/baps and sliced loafs for cheap, definitely give those a go. They aren't much more expensive than the value bread.

Buy frozen value mince if you're on the Atkins diet. Alternatively, fresh mince isn't too expensive if you bulk buy a lot. Aldi have cheap mince.

Wonky vegetables! Supermarkets sell wonky non-appealing vegetables that are no less tasty than the rest. Buy these. You can get wonky apples at Morrison's and get 6 apples for 80p.

When it comes to exercise:
    Use a bicycle if your local area isn't too hilly and the roads and pavements are well maintained. You can get cheap bicycles on eBay.

If you're a student, look around for accommodation blocks next year that have their own on-site gym.

If you're at university, look at the costs involved in sports clubs. If you're at secondary, 6th form or college, look at extra-curricular sports clubs there too.

Okay, I know why people say run and do push-ups in your room. It's free. Now I understand that this isn't nearly enough if you want to actually maintain a level of fitness outside of just keeping not fat. If you have the space and no one minds the noise, one of the cheapest bit of gym kit you can get that allows you to work as many muscles as possible is a punching bag. eBay sells them for £50 and under. You can use free-standing ones just fine. You can kick them, you can (obviously) punch them with many different punch techniques using different muscles in your body. You can shadow box with it, but best of all: you can thoroughly exhaust yourself till your muscles feel like jelly. Sorry for the wall of text here. TL;DR, eBay punching bags.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Go running, do workouts on youtube, do yoga on youtube, some parks have free outdoor exercise equipment… there are many ways you can exercise for free.

ReputationRep:
    Body weight exercises (increasing rep each workout) for strength training & running for cardo. If you really want to keep fit though, I suggest joining a gym. Also, HEALTHY FOOD IS KEY for keeping fit.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as being too broke to do something. (Unless you seriously have zero or negative money).

There are only priorities.

What you sre really saying is that your health is not high enough on your priority list tonwarrant you paying any money for it. Which, if I may offer my opinion, is ludicrous. Your health is what enables you to maximise life and should be towards the top of your priority list.

ReputationRep:
    athlean-x on youtube > bodyweight exercises or home workouts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Brooks Ghost were my first pair of running shoes, lasted over 1,000km.

You can easily get older models online for a fraction of the cost of the 'latest' shoes in the shop for exactly the same benefit.

ReputationRep:
    It's a really common misconception that it costs money to be in shape when all it really takes is desire and effort. Sure, processed food is cheap, but so are the ingredients to a good meal you can cook yourself. Yes, paying for a gym membership or getting equipment can make your workouts easier, but there are literally dozens of ways to exercise for free.

Body weight exercises like push ups, crunches, etc. don't cost a thing and there are countless free resources online for you to take advantage of. This guide from the Beachbody blog offers a ton of practical advice on losing weight and keeping fit without spending money: https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/bl...ht-on-a-budget. I'd recommend spending some time browsing their blog. They offer a ton of free workouts and recipes if you take the time to look.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.