Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me about the faculty, research prospects, student satisfaction and other aspects of studying at the university of Sheffield.

I'm an international student planning to do environment energy engineering from Sheffield. I also have an offer from Imperial for Advanced chemical engineering although I'm reluctant to switch fields if university rankings are not of much relevance and if Sheffield is providing decent prospects.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mtaskeen)
    Can someone please tell me about the faculty, research prospects, student satisfaction and other aspects of studying at the university of Sheffield.

I'm an international student planning to do environment energy engineering from Sheffield. I also have an offer from Imperial for Advanced chemical engineering although I'm reluctant to switch fields if university rankings are not of much relevance and if Sheffield is providing decent prospects.
    Pick the course you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh in terms of international reputation Imperial is level with LSE and only behind Oxbridge (and in engineering itself, arguably ahead of Oxford). Sheffield isn't bad, but it's at the lower end of the Russel Group; there are at least 15 or so universities with a better reputation. Imperial being in London (which means high living costs) also means that the graduate prospects are pretty much second to none.
    But if it's the course you want to do, by all means go Sheffield.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Ranks are irrelevant. What's relevant here is, do you want to switch fields or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Pick the course you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much. That greatly simplifies things for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Ranks are irrelevant. What's relevant here is, do you want to switch fields or not?
    I don't wish to switch fields. Uni rankings are my only source of information to estimate the reputation of any university. Since Sheffield is ranked way below imperial, I'm concerned about job opportunities once I'm done with my course and the quality of education being delivered. I'd appreciate a word of advice from someone in the UK.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't wish to switch fields. Uni rankings are my only source of information to estimate the reputation of any university. Since Sheffield is ranked way below imperial, I'm concerned about job opportunities once I'm done with my course and the quality of education being delivered. I'd appreciate a word of advice from someone in the UK.
    Which ranking are you using? Different ones produce different results - Sheffield is actually generally considered to be very good for engineering and I'm sure it's right up there in some rankings.

Overall though rankings don't really equate to the quality of a course, and aren't used by employers in the UK. If you don't want to switch fields then you have no reason to consider the course at Imperial. If you do, however, want to switch fields, then the course at Imperial would definitely be worth a look.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Where do you plan to work?

Also, tagging Helloworld_95
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Where do you plan to work?

Also, tagging Helloworld_95
    My preferred choice would be to stay back at least for a year or two. I'm not sure how placements work in the UK. I'm guessing it'll be easier to find employment in the same country from where you graduate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My preferred choice would be to stay back at least for a year or two. I'm not sure how placements work in the UK. I'm guessing it'll be easier to find employment in the same country from where you graduate.
    Because UK MSc degrees are one year (I'm assuming it's a masters you're doing because of the degree titles), it's quite rare for them to have a placement involved (although some might have you do your dissertation/thesis with an industrial sponsor).

To work in the UK after graduation you may need a visa, depending on where you're from, and I'm not sure how that works. It might be easier to work in your home country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Which ranking are you using? Different ones produce different results - Sheffield is actually generally considered to be very good for engineering and I'm sure it's right up there in some rankings.

Overall though rankings don't really equate to the quality of a course, and aren't used by employers in the UK. If you don't want to switch fields then you have no reason to consider the course at Imperial. If you do, however, want to switch fields, then the course at Imperial would definitely be worth a look.
    I'm referring to QS world rankings. Imperial stands 6th while Sheffield is ranked at 121. There's a wide disparity, as you can see, between the two which is preventing me from making a clear decision. However, it's an entirely different scenario if rankings aren't that important
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    However, it's an entirely different scenario if rankings aren't that important
    Correct

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.